• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 1/25/07

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 1/25/07

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: Some LSGR, Some Scraped

Trip Report:

Took a short 3-hour trip to Wa this afternoon for a few summit runs off the now opened Balance Rock. It was very cold as temps at the summit dropped from 18 at 3:00 to 3 at 6:00. Once again, no afternoon grooming. Can ANYONE find out why this isn't happening?

Conifer/Balance Rock: Balance was good for the 1st half, but once all the sharp turns hit, each one was all scraped clean. Coverage was decent, some grass sticking up here and there, but good. Conifer from the bottom of Balance was very nice, especially on skiers right.

10th/Salamander: The first part of Salamander has opened and was pretty much scraped clean today. Otherwise, 10th was pretty good, with the samke fluffed up skiers right of the headwall as usual. Some parts were a bit scraped, but not bad.

Smith: I think the groomers were drunk when they hit this last night. The top had all kinds of weird lumps in the snow that were barely visable but sent you straight up everytime you hit them. Everything from the headwall down was very scraped and not very good at all. Polar Express was in full speed with just a short line (EVERYONE spent the night in the lodge due to the cold, it was PACKED in there).

Hitchcock: The mini park is at the top now right around the Mass Pike intersection. There were 3 jumps, 2 boxes and a rail IIRC. After that, it was pretty scraped. Frannie's and supposedly Piece were open (although Piece is only accessable from the triple, so IDK how you were supposed to ski it besides hiking up) but I didn't hit them.

Snowmaking: Going on Ralphs and Look Mom. Apparently they'll turn them all on for the intermediate hill when they close.

I'll have another, even colder report tomorrow night.

The Sneak

Grrr
I am going there sunday morning and I'm going to be really p!ssed off if it is icy and alll scraped off considering how much snowmaking weather we have had for 2 weeks now. There is no excuse.

What the hell is going on? I was there on 12/30/06 and the conditions on Conifer were great. It seems the intermediate hill has had lousy snow all year.

hrstrat57

wa

catch 22 applies?

the less that is open the fewer people show up and the better the conditions are?

all my days at wa so far have been epic, amazing conditions.

of course nobody was there....

first chair on sunday 0745 or suffer ye the consequences will be the rule for sure.

remember, wa is a bunny hill really after all, the more traffic the more it gets beaten up...it is what it is....

great job posting zand, much appreciated:flag: