• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett - 2/3/18

speden

Needed a leg blast today so hit the mighty Wa for some night skiing. Conditions are surprisingly good. The surface is gun powder over hardback. Very fast and smooth on most trails. Managed to hit Smith's just after the evening groom and it was silky smooth.

Gotta say the big pump upgrade they did last season is noticeable in terms of some quality resurfacing. As a Saturday night it's pretty hopping, but the lift lines weren't too bad and I got in a lot of nice runs.

They are still seeding bumps on upper Tenth, bless their hearts. They are pretty sucky, but I like the effort. [emoji4] And they've got a live band going in the lodge that's pretty good.
52522be68d77bd14597cdc1398339ac3.jpg
ac97654d1bd8ba7a489b36d070adc13b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Wachusett is so close, yet I've never been there, and suspect I never will. Doesn't look like a bad choice for night skiing though.

speden

I make fun of it sometimes, but it's a well run mountain and for 1000 feet of vertical, the trails are quite nice with no run outs. They get a ton of traffic, especially on the weekends, so it's strictly a groomer hill, and fresh snow is tracked out faster than you can imagine. They've got good snowmaking, the night skiing is good, the ticket prices are low, and the location is very convenient. I like to go there for half days to get a quick workout when I can't get up to the bigger places for whatever reason. I'm really glad it's available and skiing there increases the stoke when I do get up to the bigger mountains.

bdfreetuna

If I didn't have Berkshire East 1/2 as far away... and Mt Tom when I was a kid

I have been to Nashoba Valley though!

Beast blows Wawa away....just my 2 cents. Skied Wachusett on a free tix a couple of weeks ago and yes, fast lifts, but very limited and boring terrain.

Sorry Wachusett fans.

speden

I'm not sure if there are Wachusett fans here, it's just close to metro Boston. Berkshire East would be a long drive west for me, so if I'm driving that long I head north.

Sent from my SM-G920V using AlpineZone mobile app

Vaughn

Berkshire East vs. Wachussett isn't really a choice anyone is making unless they live in Athol or something. Best area close to Boston and crowded accordingly. Heading north you have to drive well over an hour to get Crotched or Pats which are even more intermediate than WaWa so what's the point barring snowfall up there.

I have the same issue with Gunstock and Ragged. They are both closer to Boston, but not closer enough where I don't just spend the extra 30-40 minutes or whatever to get to Loon/Waterville/Cannon