• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 3/10/08

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Monday Night 3/10/08

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: PP, LSGR, some Junk; Bluebird, temps around 30 at 4 and 20 at 7

Trip Report:

Surprisingly good night at Wachusett tonight. Place was dead as I parked in row 1 four spots from the road at 4:30. No liftlines to speak of and the lodge had very few people... quite the turn around from 24 hour night. Very weird with the sun being out till 6:30.

Balance Rock / Conifer: Balance Rock was scraped to the base everywhere except the edges. Conifer has a very nasty spot right at the top but then was nice from there. Plenty of good snow and I even managed a run when it was opening from grooming.

10th: Cranked out about 20 runs on it tonight, ripping up the nice LSGR on the headwall. Bumps were solid so I stayed out. Nice and fast the whole way with some nice pops of air. Just about the entire trail had beautiful snow... it's amazing how it only took them 2 days to go from rain to good snow. The fresh manmade from last night helps as well. Fresh cord could be found 3 hours after grooming.

Smith: One of those weird nights when upper was better than lower. Upper had nice PP with some pebbles on both the right and left of the headwall. Lower had the dust-on-crust I was expecting all over tonight but thankfully it stayed there. Very tough for me to get an edge on it with my nice dull edges.

Look Mom: Took one run through. They switched around a lot of the rails and boxes to provide something new. The jumps were mainly the same. Didn't do much as pretty much the entire park was a sheet of ice and it hurt just landing one of the small jumps. The pipe seems to have widened a lot and the walls were in tough shape.

That's about all tonight. Spent about 90% of the night on 10th. Tonight was a good one for the "yo-yo" runs category. Kinda depressing seeing the place dead as that means there's not much time left... Wachusett closing day is about 3 1/2 weeks away. I'll be at Stowe this weekend.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
We were there Sunday night and I have to say I was impressed that the skiing was as good as it was. You got the manmade, they hadn't laid it down yet for us.

We got maybe 10th tracks down a freshly-groomed Smith, and 6th tracks down 10th Mtn, and both were sweet, sweet, sweet. Despite some scraped spots, Hitchcock was nice and Frannie's Folly very nice. Challenger was a hoot to roar down. Ralph's was uninteresting and too thick up top. Conifer was, well, unpleasant. So much scraped LG built up through the day and the groomers didn't pack it down, so it was like skiing in 12" deep gravel. Much more fun on Smith & 10th. Skied 4:30 to 9:00 and with the time change got to enjoy a beautiful sunset from the chair and summit.

Quite glad to have gotten it in, since we left Sunday River on Sunday morning with the mountain on wind and ice holds!

wa-loaf

It seems like it takes 2 days of grooming for them to get back into shape from rain. Day after and you still get a lot fo death cookies.

hammer

How's Wachusett on weekends now? I have a 50% off coupon and I was considering heading over there...only been once.

wa-loaf

How's Wachusett on weekends now? I have a 50% off coupon and I was considering heading over there...only been once.

It wasn't bad this Sunday. Plenty of parking in the main lot at noon. Only a couple more weeks left, you should use the discount while you have it.