• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett Opening Day 11/25/05

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 11/25/05

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: Awesome powder early, scratchy late

Trip Report:

What a day. Easily the best opening day I'd ever been to at Wawa, and this is still only November. Their decision to open today instead of tomorrow was a great one. I arrived at 8:45, got my pass processed, and was on the hill at 9:05.

Conifer: First run of the year, probably the best of the day. Fresh powder (both natural and manmade) the whole way. Trail was edge-to-edge just about the whole trail which was incredible. Many whales were abound on the lower half. As the day went on, the snow became more packed and by 2, the upper 1/4 was pretty icy. The rest was still nice packed powder. The guns were off from 9:15 until 2:30, when one gun at the second road was turned on. It was starting to need it on the upper sections with the ice starting to come out, but the rest was great. No bare spots where it was groomed. Polar Express was running about 3/4 normal speed to keep capacity down. Longest lines were 10 chairs at the most here.

Challenger: Only half covered and many beginners, but the snow conditions on the trail were excellent the entire day. There were some smaller whales, but nothing major. There were a few ice patches late at the very bottom, but that was it. Minuteman Express was running at normal speed, but it's always been one of the slower high-speed quads. Lines were 10 chairs or less.

When I left shortly after 3, there were only 4 rows of cars. There was no one there in the morning. There were guns going on Ollie's when I left and they looked like they were ready to start on Indian Summer. I saw no injuries the whole day which was a good thing, there were many last year at this point, mainly due to conditions. I hope to be back up there tomorrow night and will definitely be back Tuesday Night.