• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville 12/2/06

stomachdoc

As expected, only one trail open at the top. The previously made snow at the base is all but washed away; they set up a rail on one 30' by 30' patch that remains at the bottom and a bunch of snowboarders were having at it there.

Anyway, uploading on the quad via a small patch of snow, then riding up over the brown trails is, of course, a bit of a bummer!

It was flurrying all day with a little bit of a dusting here or there.

Once to the top of the quad, ski over to the High Country lifts; guns a-blazing both on high country and at the top of Tippecanoe and Tyler (but not the lower parts of those trails yet). Any of you who have skied Waterville know that the High Country lift is powered by a diesel truck engine and is crazily slow. We were there at lunchtime, so there was no line, but on our way down back to the bottom most of the racing program was on their way to the top, so I'm sure the line grew after lunch.

The coverage was a bit thin in places, a bit icy in others but there was manmade pow to be found thanks to the continuous snow guns.

Took a couple of runs with my daughter....boy, do I get rusty over the summer!

Skis off to download back to the bottom.

It was great to be out there.....we need a big dump, and soon!

stomachdoc

Well, I could see not wanting to travel the extra 15 minutes after Mad River Tavern; in reality, the skiing was MUCH better on Sunday; they did a nice job with the snow guns.

My problem is keeping my wife (and her credit cards) out of Ski Fanatics

Vortex

I hit the river on sunday. I was waiting for the Direct TV guy all day to make some adjustments. He never came Sat. Trying again this Sat. Scheduled for late in the day this time.

I was dressed to ski Sat. As close as I got.