• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Off-Season News

xwhaler

Some good info coming out of Whaleback both in terms of how they did this yr and plans moving forward.
With the big news being they will try for a surface lift for next season---I read it to mean they are looking for something going up Spout/Bougainvillea to serve racers, those looking to progress from carpet but before chairlift, and terrain park laps.

http://www.whaleback.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/UVSSF-Report.pdf

Some good stuff in here if you are so inclined.

Newpylong

Capture.jpg

Here's one option off the top of my head.

Great to see things went well and are moving forward - invaluable resource to this area. Great job Whale team.

xwhaler

@ NewpyLong....I definitely see your proposal as a plausible location for where the surface lift would go.

bobbutts

Surface lift seems like a waste to me. Can get plenty of laps riding the (5 minute ride?) double and there is gentle terrain for beginners from the top (if you don't count the lift unload).
The snowmaking and lighting improvements sound great.

Domeskier

When I watch Whale Wars, I usually root for the fishermen. I feel a deep and abiding sense of shame for that.

Domeskier

thetrailboss

Staff member
So nothing is going to happen with the double chair? I thought that the previous owners were having a lot of problems with it?

dlague

Thought! If the surface lift is aimed at getting racers up then that will shorten the lift line on race days! That is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

I doubt, but may be wrong, that there is much of a line on Thursday night's when they race
I think the surface lift serves 3 purposes probably in this order:
1. Dedicated park lift so the kids can do laps
2. Step up option from carpet for those not ready to go to the top
3. Racers easy laps

I'm not sure I see enough real need for any of the 3 but I guess if they buy a used one cheap enough it will be worth it

4aprice

There used to be a T-bar in the exact location shown in the picture. When I skied there in the late 70's the lift towers and cable were still standing but obviously not in use. Love seeing the Whale up and running and hope to get back someday soon and relive some fond memories.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

xwhaler

Bump....noticed that Whaleback is now a member of SkiNH this season....not sure what it costs to be represented by them but it can't hurt for exposure.
IIRC they were not affiliated with SkiNH under the previous regime.