• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What’s wrong with my boots? Pain and focal redness at inner mid foot just above arch.

Fun4stuff

I went downhill skiing last weekend for 2 days (12+ hrs) and had some pain at the inside of my my mid foot. When i got home i noticed i had these red marks where i had the pain. I’m wearing boots i got used. I’m in Michigan... so not the biggest ski skate in the world. I’m relatively new to skiing and this was my first time out this year.

My feet:

My also had intense pain at my right anterior shin. I think this was shin bang from having my long underwear tucked into my boots. The shin bang pain happened after walking/running a long distance in my ski boots (was helping my kiddos out) and didn’t hurt nearly as bad when skiing.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot these issues? Were my boots too tight?

John9

Never tuck anything into your boots, shin problem solved.

Put your ski socks and boots on at home. Flex.in them, walk around, watch a TV with them on. Does anything hurt or go numb?

This is all assuming you have boots that fit you correct to begin with. There are many YouTube videos that explain how to do a shell fit, proper way to put on a boot ect.

Fun4stuff

Never tuck anything into your boots, shin problem solved.

Put your ski socks and boots on at home. Flex.in them, walk around, watch a TV with them on. Does anything hurt or go numb?

This is all assuming you have boots that fit you correct to begin with. There are many YouTube videos that explain how to do a shell fit, proper way to put on a boot ect.
Yea, i don’t have many quality shops by me. I’ll have to watch some YouTube videos and go to a shop on my next trip.

i wasn’t sure if red marks in this location was some classic sign of a rookie mistake (other than boots don’t fit). Weird thing is i wore these boots all last season (10 times) and never had this problem

mbedle

Did you put on any weight this summer??? That might explain the difference between last year and this year. Can you feel inside your liners to see what is pushing against your foot?

thebigo

Read the link above, sound about the correct spot?

I was born with numerous accessory bones in both feet. Some have been removed, some i have learned to deal with.

A few things I have learned skiing 40 years upto 100 days per year with nonstandard feet.

Nothing goes in your boot except your foot and your sock.
Do not use hand me down or discout boots. For a casual skier you can use shit skis, torn coat, cracked goggles, etc. If you are going to spend money in any area it should be your boots.
Your feet change every summer and sometimes every week, how something felt last year does not matter.
If you have peculiar feet, make sure you have arch support at all times. Orthofeet make a great slipper for around the house. Custom orthotics are best but expensive, superfeet and sofsole are budget options.
Find a qualified bootfitter at a reputable shop in ski country, not the flatlands. A podiatrist would be even better. Does not matter where one lives, if you have odd feet and you want to ski, it is qualified bootfitter or foot pain.

ScottySkis

[QUOTED="thebigo, post: 1059091, member: 1414"]

I was born with numerous accessory bones in both feet. Some have been removed, some i have learned to deal with.

A few things I have learned skiing 40 years upto 100 days per year with nonstandard feet.

Do not use hand me down or discout boots. For a casual skier you can use shit skis, torn coat, cracked goggles, etc. If you are going to spend money in any area it should be your boots.
Your feet change every summer and sometimes every week, how something felt last year does not matter.
If you have peculiar feet, make sure you have arch support at all times. Orthofeet make a great slipper for around the house. Custom orthotics are best but expensive, superfeet and sofsole are budget options.
Find a qualified bootfitter at a reputable shop in ski country, not the flatlands. A podiatrist would be even better. Does not matter where one lives, if you have odd feet and you want to ski, it is qualified bootfitter or foot pain.
[/QUOTE]
By Hunter in Catskill of NY has excellent shop

Pro shop

Smellytele

[QUOTED="thebigo, post: 1059091, member: 1414"]

By Hunter in Catskill of NY has excellent shop

Pro shop
[/QUOTE]
A little far from Michigan

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I went downhill skiing last weekend for 2 days (12+ hrs) and had some pain at the inside of my my mid foot. When i got home i noticed i had these red marks where i had the pain. I’m wearing boots i got used. I’m in Michigan... so not the biggest ski skate in the world. I’m relatively new to skiing and this was my first time out this year.

My feet:

My also had intense pain at my right anterior shin. I think this was shin bang from having my long underwear tucked into my boots. The shin bang pain happened after walking/running a long distance in my ski boots (was helping my kiddos out) and didn’t hurt nearly as bad when skiing.

Welcome to AlpineZone!

there is a world of difference between just whatever boots and properly fitted boots. good boots should have no pressure points.

what boots are you using ?

mister moose

Could be

used boots - how many days on them before you bought them --> packed out liners
Too much time on skis all at once on green feet
Feet changed
bad boot day - they happen

If it's the liner, find a fitter and see if the shell is correct and needs any work. Then if the shell is good, look into a custom or heat molded aftermarket liner like intuition or conformable. It gets a little pricey, hopefully you can find a simple heat moldable liner and a mid range footbed. Those 2 things will be transformative in your fit.

KustyTheKlown

Hello guys! I'm interested in your topic. The fact is that I want to try taking CBD products for the treatment of insomnia. I will be grateful if they help me decide where it is best to purchase them.

ask granite1, he is the resident expert on this topic

BodeMiller1

My feet:

Boots should be tight enough so they hurt. The thrill of skiing will cancel out the pain. Be an athlete, take the pain.

Here's what I did with a similar issue. These socks are very soft and the silk prevents friction burns and the like.

Enjoy exceptional softness with super fine grade Merino wool blended with lofty cashmere and luxurious silk are knit to fit each foot anatomically for a superior feel on the slopes. What could be better? Moisture-managing fibers that keep feet dry, warm and comfortable.

• Memory-knit construction keeps shape, wash after wash
  • Reinforced toe and heel add durability and longer sock life
  • Smooth, flat comfort toe seam
  • 46% Merino wool, 31% nylon, 13% silk, 7% cashmere, 2% spandex, 1% polyester