• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's Your Coldest Day on the Slopes?

N

NEtracker

I guess it was fairly warm at 11F, not including wind chill.

T

trailbiscuit

Couple years ago I skied at Jay in about -25...but most of the lifts were closed due to wind. Not good times. Skied the next at the Loaf, in about -10 with no wind, I felt like I should have been out in a t-shirt.

Last winter, I went nordic skiing in -22. Worked up a sweat on the uphills, and then froze everything on the downhills. Had to keep moving to keep my shell from freezing...I didn't ski that hard all winter!

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Last year over Presidents day weekend it was -48 at Chimney Pond in Baxter Park. A bunch of us tried to summit, but it was too cold and people were getting frostbite :cry: I was pretty disappointed after hauling that 70 pound sled 32 miles and not summitting.
My coldest day at a resort is about -30 at Burke last year, in Jamuary. The chairlift broke for about 12 minutes while I was on board. The ski patrol was really sweet though, they took everyone into a warming hut and let us get toasty warm before heading down. They then closed the chairlift for the rest of the day. So it was beer-thirty a little early :beer: