• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When Okemo gives you Lemons you go to Magic and make Lemonade- 5th grade vouchers

JFP

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue at Okemo- Season's pass holder using the VT 5th grade passbook vouchers. Okemos policy is you have to purchase a full day ticket to use the vouchers (even if you are a passholder). I took my two sons and a friend (two of which have the VT passbook- the other child is 6) there yesterday (Sunday) afternoon arriving around noon. The 5th grade tickets say "complimentary with a paying adult". The lady slid the vouchers back across the table like we couldn't afford a bus ticket and coarsly explained their policy- she also produced a memo outlining the policy when I furthered inquired about the 'rules and regulations' she was referencing. This led me to believe this wasn't the first time this confusion had occured (I've used them at Stratton & the NH ones at Sunapee- usaully taking my son and his friends). I told them the voucher should explicitly state its a buy one adult get one 5th grade (as some of them do) to avoid this confusion. Learned the hard way different mtns have different policies regarding the interpretion of usage on the 5th grade passbook. Alternatively she offered me $24 afternoon tickets for the kids and I purchased.. then she said she had made a mistake and needed an additional 10 for afternoon tickets. Feeling like a number & P'O'd beyond belief at that point I decided I did not want to give Okemo any $$ and left, even the kids wanted out of there.

Driving home I arrived in Chester then remembered.. Magic. We went up there, had a great couple of hours. Paid $25 for a 1/2 day ticket and they accepted the vouchers no problem. Conditions were hard and fast, Talisman was great, kids were all smiles- none had ever been there. I was reminded again of how much Magic rocks. Yeah Magic, boo Okemo.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm confused. You mention that the 5th Grade Passbook says "complimentary with a paying adult" and then say that it should be clearer. What is the issue there? That if you show up with two 5th graders you need two adults?

EDIT: I'm reading it again. I guess the problem is a 5th grader showing up with a passholder to the mountain.

And they did treat you the wrong way. Sorry to hear that.

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

They offer a simliar program here in PA, and that is also how it is handled. I typically just roll a night pass, but I also get a discount on regular day tickets. so when My son and I went during the day, I bought my regular ticket(40% off) and my son skied free.

I think Okemo handled it properly. Otherwise it's a total loss on them. I understand your stance, since you "purchased" your lift time, but that's not how the program works.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It clearly states on the ski Vermont website that you need to purchase a full day adult lift ticket to use the 5th grade coupons. This is not Okemo's policy, it's ski Vermonts policy.

http://www.skivermont.com/events-and-deals/program-passport

Seems pretty clear to me:

Passport holders need to be accompanied by an adult purchasing a full-price lift ticket or trail pass and each adult may bring up to two Passport holders. Passport coupons are not valid with any other offer or discount.

I guess the only clarification would be that you can't use your season pass in lieu of buying a ticket. That's why it worked at Magic...you bought a ticket so they gave you the free 5th grader.

Last edited:

JFP

It clearly states on the ski Vermont website that you need to purchase a full day adult lift ticket to use the 5th grade coupons. This is not Okemo's policy, it's ski Vermonts policy.

http://www.skivermont.com/events-and-deals/program-passport

Didn't catch that on the website. The voucher itself is somewhat more interpretive saying "complimentary with paying adult" - on the front & on the back refering to the 'rules and regualtions' which obviously stipulate what's stated on the website. I guess another moral of the story is study your deals thoroughly to prevent surprises.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Didn't catch that on the website. The voucher itself is somewhat more interpretive saying "complimentary with paying adult" - on the front & on the back refering to the 'rules and regualtions' which obviously stipulate what's stated on the website. I guess another moral of the story is study your deals thoroughly to prevent surprises.

I think they could clarify the voucher to read that you need to buy a ticket because I agree that the "paying adult language" is vague in terms of your situation here.

I'm kind of surprised that they still treated a season pass holder in the way you describe. But I wasn't there so I don't really know what happened.

But at the end of the day if a deal seems to good to be true....

steamboat1

Seems pretty clear to me:

I guess the only clarification would be that you can't use your season pass in lieu of buying a ticket. That's why it worked at Magic...you bought a ticket so they gave you the free 5th grader.
Magic violated the rules of the coupon. It clearly states that to use the coupon you need to buy one full day adult lift ticket, not a 1/2 day ticket.

jaytrem

I wonder if you could have "borrowed" a full paying adult? Wouldn't cost them anything.

JFP

I wonder if you could have "borrowed" a full paying adult? Wouldn't cost them anything.

That would have been a work around- if I was with or happened upon a paying friend/acquantence no doubt, but a random person puts me towards the unethical zone (obviously the place on the ethical spectrum will be different for different folks-& not that it should change but I become a little more cognizant when the kids are involved too).

Started this thread to see if this has happened to anyone else- it seems like it may have because they were quick to produce the memo outlining their policy & knew the deal. Secondly, regarding SkiVT maybe its purposefully interpretive on the vouchers to let the mountains choose their course of action (regardless what their website guidelines state) and determine what exactly defines an accompanying paying adult.

jimmywilson69

Secondly, regarding SkiVT maybe its purposefully interpretive on the vouchers to let the mountains choose their course of action (regardless what their website guidelines state) and determine what exactly defines an accompanying paying adult.

You may have a point. It is essentially a marketing effort, but I think more often than not they are going to be expecting that someone is forking over some cash at the time of transaction. Rather than in advance like a season pass.

wa-loaf

Sounds like the customer service lady could have handled it better. But I bet she's been accosted by many disgruntled customers over the mus-understanding and doesn't have the patience for it at this time in the season.

Euler

I did that three times at Mt Snow and once at Pico when my son was in fifth grade a couple of years ago. I got some really funny looks when I'd walk up to people in the ticket line and ask them to be my kids full paying adult. They always went for it, though after some explanation! I had to do it because I have NEVER paid full price for a lift ticket.

Smellytele

My daughter was under six years old until she was 12.

Being short does have it's advantages.

Now that is unethical. :) I got caught once at Clark's trading post when an employee came around the counter and asked my son "And how old are you?" while I was dealing with another employee. DOH!

bdfreetuna

Okemo has not much going for it but a lot of grooming tractors and excellent customer service. I am surprised you got hassled over this. But then again Okemo does cater towards the wealthy crowd that wouldn't even bat an eyelash in this situation.

Magic sounds like they handled it with class. Other mountains can pride themselves on customer service all they want, but at Magic they treat you like family. It's pretty simple-- they want you to ski there, and they want you to have a great time. So why give you any bullshit about it?

Magic is one mountain I will gladly pay full price for (it's cheap anyway) and actually feel like I am ripping them off if I get a deal.

Smellytele

Magic is one mountain I will gladly pay full price for (it's cheap anyway) and actually feel like I am ripping them off if I get a deal.

I agree - I felt that way the last time I used some discount tix. I think if they put them out there then I shouldn't feel guilty gettin the deals but I do

spiderpig

This led me to believe this wasn't the first time this confusion had occured (I've used them at Stratton & the NH ones at Sunapee- usaully taking my son and his friends).

You used them with your Okemo pass at Sunapee and Stratton, I'm assuming? That's very odd that you would have a problem at Okemo, especially having the same management as Sunapee.