• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where is YOUR most challenging Rope Tow?

Charlie Schuessler

Mine is the Abenaki Ski Area in Wolfeboro NH.

Great for kids and light people. For big guys (over 6' and/or 225 lbs.) the steepness burns your gloves to smithereens...

thetrailboss

Staff member
The ropetow at the Lyndon Outing Club in Lyndonville, VT is basically an old rope turned by a diesel truck motor and man can it fly. It loves gloves!

The GF had a tough time with the handle tow at Blue Hills...when we left after four hours, her arms were more sore than her legs! :lol:

skijay

In all of my years of skiing, the only rope tow I have used, only as a source of transportation form the upper lot to the slopes was the one at Butternut. I have been using it for about 3 years now.

That is the only rope tow I have ever used!

Charlie Schuessler

I've used the ropes at Gunstock (long time ago), Crotched (again a long time ago), Pat's Peak, Abenaki, and the Town of Franklin NH Ski Hill. Maybe another one or two, but that's out of my immediate recall.

All were/are glove eaters even with the glove protectors. That rope is buzzing along...you’ve got slow or stop for the fallen few…what a trip. I know it’s dangerous, but some kids/adults seem to love being dragged up the tow rather than glide up…
:lol:

ChileMass

Grew up riding the rope tow at Titcomb Hill in Farmington, ME. The hill still only has about 350' of vertical, so we literally did about 50 runs a day, and went thru a couple pairs of gloves/mittens per season. As an 9-year old, that rope was HEAVY in the Spring when the snow got soft!!

Charlie Schuessler

I realize that it is not a rope tow but I enjoy the comedy at the Upper Snowdon Poma lift at Killington. On a weekends, we visit the POMA and spend some time laughing and clapping and being immature....we figure if you've got stand on a line, this is the line to stand on it is a festive lift. :wink:

sledhaulingmedic

I've used the ropes at Gunstock (long time ago), Crotched (again a long time ago), Pat's Peak, Abenaki, and the Town of Franklin NH Ski Hill. Maybe another one or two, but that's out of my immediate recall.

Where was the rope tow at Crotched? I remember the handle tow, which was installed around 1970.

Temple had a tow that ran along the Main T-bar that was very interesting.

Darrow school, NY had a tow powered by a Model-T Ford. Depending on who was at the controls, it moved at a great pace. Steep pitch. It was a great ride!

Skier71787

Website
www.timberlaneskiteam.org
I raced at a private ski mountain called Proctor, or Blackwater, and there is a difficult rope tows/T-Bar there. I remember one time i got on the T-Bar with one of my teammates and after about 10 seconds, i fell off. They had to stop the thing and we had to have help getting back on. And then about 5 seconds later, she fell off. It was pretty funny. But she was so embaressed that she just got off all together and skiied back into the onlooking line to try again with someone else.