• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where should I ski Sat. Dec. 12 in NH?

Joshua B

I'll need an excellent beginner area for my wife who still fears anything steeper than gentle trails and slopes. She does wonderfully at Pats Peak's Valley area. Ragged's Barnyard is nice. On Friday night, we're staying overnight in Henniker.

I'm sure it's too early to call and we'll just have to see who has what open on Saturday morning which is fine. But if anyone has good tips, I'll take them. Thanks!

Edd

Saturday is opening day at Cranmore but they aren't showing what's going to be open yet.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm sure it's too early to call and we'll just have to see who has what open on Saturday morning which is fine. But if anyone has good tips, I'll take them. Thanks!

That's the best plan. Actually, you might want to call around on Friday and ask first-hand. Given the slow snow start, It seems a bit early for beginners. You want to be careful, with such limited trail selection, you might find a lot more people on beginner's area that normally would not be. So look at the trail maps too, make sure the other stuff isn't all emptying out onto where your SO will be.

speden

I'll need an excellent beginner area for my wife who still fears anything steeper than gentle trails and slopes. She does wonderfully at Pats Peak's Valley area. Ragged's Barnyard is nice. On Friday night, we're staying overnight in Henniker.

Why don't you just ski at Pat's then. Per their current snow report:

"The Valley Area opens on Saturday."

If you're right there, you can get an early start before the crowds show up.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wowzers, its JoshuaB! Haven't see you around these parts in a while. I saw on your blog about your marriage, congrats dude.

I imagine Bretton Woods will have more open beginner terrain than any other area in NH this weekend. Not sure what they are charging this weekend but it is only $39 during the mid-week so prices are likely to be reasonable and not full priced for the weekend (I would guess, perhaps call ahead though). Not near Henniker, but I don't think you are going to do better any where in New England for good beginner terrain.

Cheers!!
-Steve

Joshua B

Great thoughts guys. Thank you.

Steve, I had never thought of Bretton Woods. It's a great idea with all of their gentle terrain. And thanks!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Great thoughts guys. Thank you.

Steve, I had never thought of Bretton Woods. It's a great idea with all of their gentle terrain. And thanks!

Having certain family members who have asking style that includes the word "fear", I really focused on your description in my reply.

In fact, I had looked at BW before I responded. BW is usually a safe bet and quick to mind when one thinks of beginners or under-confident skiers. However, I spent some time looking at their map of what was open. Of the twenty-five trails claimed, there are only four that fit the bill - two are the never-ever learning area, you'll be down to the bottom faster than the lift takes you up. The other two down from the Bethlehem chair are going to get a fair amount of cross traffic from the blue and black skiers. How will that stand up to her, only you can say.

I'll stand by my comment that you need to look carefully at open trail maps and I still think calling is in order. It's early in the season, the options are limited, the pent-up demand is still there. The most vocal on this forum are capable, adaptable and competent and ready to go anyplace; being sensitive to the less confident skier is crucial; it's not just the terrain, it's the entire environment, such as cross traffic, number of lifts open, etc.

I'm not saying BW is a bad choice, I often recommend it. You just have to size up your situation.

meff

Two things about BW this weekend, one they announced this morning the lift ticket is going up to $59 - which would indicate more terrain coming as they got 8" last night. Second its the 13 hours of EICSL Saturday with almost all the ski clubs from the Conway area being there so it could be a bit of a zoo and those greens off the Bethlehem quad could become a zoo.

Edit: I'd look to see what Cranmore opens - they normally open a few greens off the south double to start.

Swamp Dog

Gunstock has expanded their beginner area and has a new quad (lower & slower than usual quads) running over there as well. Looking forward to checking it out later today.

HD333

Gunstock has expanded their beginner area and has a new quad (lower & slower than usual quads) running over there as well. Looking forward to checking it out later today.

Swamp Dog-

Please let us know of Gstock is, planning on heading there on Sat/Sun and would love an update.

Thanks!
HD

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Burke is opening the lower mountain. There are many similar but no finer beginner friendly places in all New England than Burke's beginner area. Mellow trails and a high speed quad that dumps out right at the lodge. Can't beat that!