• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to ski this Sunday

Granite1

I have an Ikon pass and a Cannon pass, where should I ski this Sunday? Who will make the most snow and have the best open terrain? I am 1 hour and 15 minutes from Loon and Cannon, two hours to the VT Ski areas and two hours to Sunday River. Where would you go?

machski

Sunday River then Loon if you don't mind burning one of your 5 or 7 at either. I believe SR will be tying in White Cap base off the White Cap Quad this weekend

Granite1

As of this morning, I'm narrowing down my choice to Sunday River or Loon? Sunday River is reporting 26 trails and currently making snow on 8 with expansion into White Cap? Loon is reporting 16 trails with more opening on Saturday from the Gondola which opens on Saturday, plus two high speed lifts-probably will be ski on all day. I have skied both this year and I was impressed with the amount of snowmaking efforts they have accomplished. I think Cannon is out because I don't think they are making very much snow-their web site said they won't fire back up until tonight???? Vermont is out, just seems Loon or Sunday River are the better options this weekend. Loon website announces the opening of the 7 Brothers HSQ next weekend and Sunday River has announced the opening of the Jordan 8 next weekend! For me, Loon might win out this weekend - a lot closer than Sunday River and the best bar in ski country (Bunyan Room) for après ski!!!!

ColdRain&Snow

I have an Ikon pass and a Cannon pass, where should I ski this Sunday? Who will make the most snow and have the best open terrain? I am 1 hour and 15 minutes from Loon and Cannon, two hours to the VT Ski areas and two hours to Sunday River. Where would you go?

You should go to stratton, before I get going up there :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do you light up and toke on the gondola, or just in the trees?

How long are you going to continue beat that dead horse? I don't think anyone cares to hear you talk about your MJ opinions here anymore.

Anyways, given your location my vote would be Loon

WoodCore

Go to Someday Bigger and catch a ride on the Jordan 8.

Edd

Gunstock missed their targeted opening today. The rain this week killed their efforts. I haven’t skied yet and am hoping to hit something next Wednesday or Thursday. I’m not psyched to drive to BW or Cannon 2+ hours for limited terrain and I don’t want to burn an Indy day at Pats until they’re 100% because I’ve never skied there. By next week I’ll be getting desperate.

Smellytele

Cannon is now saying…

A winter pattern has returned and we're looking at a long stretch of seasonable weather that has launched us right back into the snowmaking game. Currently guns are blowing on Gary's, Rocket, Tram Cutback, Rock Garden, Lower Cannon, Gremlin, Time Zone & Tossup and we hope to add new terrain over to the Zoomer Chair heading into next week. If we're able to bring Gremlin into the mix this weekend, that may allow us to offer another easier slope option, accessible via Eagle Cliff Chair. As always, thank you to our hardworking snowmaking crew - without them, we wouldn't be skiing/riding right now! THANK YOU!

Granite1

Cannon is now saying…

A winter pattern has returned and we're looking at a long stretch of seasonable weather that has launched us right back into the snowmaking game. Currently guns are blowing on Gary's, Rocket, Tram Cutback, Rock Garden, Lower Cannon, Gremlin, Time Zone & Tossup and we hope to add new terrain over to the Zoomer Chair heading into next week. If we're able to bring Gremlin into the mix this weekend, that may allow us to offer another easier slope option, accessible via Eagle Cliff Chair. As always, thank you to our hardworking snowmaking crew - without them, we wouldn't be skiing/riding right now! THANK YOU!
I just saw that too. When I left last Sunday they were blowing the entire front five. They must be cutting back for now to get Gary's and Rocket open soon and resurfacing what's open. Time zone is a nice little run-almost hidden-that doesn't get much use and holds up very well, except for when there's race training on it on the weekends which I don't like. I'll keep checking their reports for Sunday, maybe they will be an option after all. No lift lines there last Sunday.

bigbob

I was at Loon today, same terrain open as last friday. Top to bottom snowmaking when i got there, lower snowmaking turned offf by 11. Upper and Lower Flume where lit up all day. Sharpen your edges. Some trails getting thin. Firm base under frozen granular, as expected. Parking lot was 2/3 full, but no lines and room in the lodge.

Granite1

I'm going to Cannon, their mountain reports a possible opening of Gary's and Rocket under the guns and some natural snow arriving this am too - the Cannon Effect - hoping to ski the whales and manmade on the front five with some natural too!