• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which ski resort in New England will see the first accumulating snowfall this season.

dlague

So .... Which wins if all of NE gets blanketed? everyone that lives and skis there I guess!

deadheadskier

Staff member
10/18/2009? The 59-0 game against the Titans? Hell of a game to be at.

I say Stowe and Smuggs get it first.

I was traveling from NH to my home office in NJ during that. Took 7+ hours when normally it would take 5 on a Sunday.

Most snow I've personally been in that time of year is 8-12" at Snowshoe, WV in Halloween 2003.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Who remembers Snowtober 2011? I got something ridiculous like 18" at my home in Western CT. Couldn't ski... couldn't get anywhere. I spent the night of the storm listening to tree limbs creak, crack, and fall. Power was out for 10 days. Leaves + snow = very very very bad.

That's a Japanese Maple in my front yard. The branches are usually 4-6 feet off the ground...you'll see them touching the ground in this picture. Note the Halloween decoration.

Mapel at Midnight.jpg

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Who remembers Snowtober 2011? I got something ridiculous like 18" at my home in Western CT. Couldn't ski... couldn't get anywhere. I spent the night of the storm listening to tree limbs creak, crack, and fall. Power was out for 10 days. Leaves + snow = very very very bad.

That's a Japanese Maple in my front yard. The branches are usually 4-6 feet off the ground...you'll see them touching the ground in this picture. Note the Halloween decoration.

View attachment 20660

Yep, 14" skied my back yard , the rest of the year was crappy . Tried to drive my kid to work but gave up after 2 miles , power lines down everywhere.Early snow can be a bad omen.

The Sneak

The base of Diamond Hill in Cumberland RI had about 3" the next morning, a good 6 or 7" up top. A few kids were out sledding. The storm jacked up a haunted house set up near the parking lot.

My dogs and I hiked up, they were so psyched to play in the snow considering it had been beach weather only a few weeks prior.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

Hard to forget...we didn't get a lot of snow in NJ, but the combination of it being a wet, heavy snow and the trees still having leaves was a disaster. An oak tree took out part of my parent's neighbor's house along with crushed my mom's car...
221.jpg

Smellytele

Yep, 14" skied my back yard , the rest of the year was crappy . Tried to drive my kid to work but gave up after 2 miles , power lines down everywhere.Early snow can be a bad omen.

had about 2 feet and hiked up Pats peak a few times and took a few runs. Very sticky like Sierra Cement. buddies on snowboards couldn't get enough speed to keep going just kept plowing snow into piles in front of them.

nhskier1969

Yes, that's true, but Saddleback and maybe even Sunday River and Wildcat would probably get snow too, so again unlikely to be only one area. And those types of systems - a coastal that hits only Eastern NE/Maine - are not your "typical" first snow of the year. Usually it's an October/November cold front with left over precipitation going to snow at elevation which would, I argue, hit several areas.

Time will tell. Hopefully not too much time!
I was figuring on elevation in early October for snow. My bet is Sugarloaf. It has the elevation and it is really far north.

dlague

View attachment 20660

Yup we went to Killington and while the top was open we poached top to bottom runs and scored all day long!

We were in an isolated area in CT that lost power for 11 days. Businesses 1/8 mile away had power as did a mall area thankfully so I hung out in a hotel lobby for almost a week doing work, drinking their coffee, using their internet and even showering in a bathroom off an indoor pool area. It was unreal, but hotel was very accommodating and I was a loyalty program member anyway.

When generators became available almost a week in I was first in line and bought my very first generator. Prior to having the generator I was using inverter from car (which thankfully had a full tank of gas) to power a couple of lights, DVD player and TV. Being able to power up the fridge and electric fireplace with generator power was quite the treat. Will never forget the tree damage from this storm, but I also saw how neighbors came together to support and assist one another.

catsup948

View attachment 20660

I remember that famous storm very well. This area jackpotted officially with around 30 inches. Heavy dense snow on top of unfrozen ground. This picture was from later in the day at Berkshire East, it is up on the wall in their lodge. They didn't open but the place was pretty busy. We skied earlier in the day, it was memorable to say the least.

Attachments

• 1474806076898.jpg
    1474806076898.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 92

Dickc

Does anyone remember October 2005? Killington got two different storms that October and had over three feet of snow. They opened with a bunch of lifts and some 40 trails.