• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is going to resurface?

skiur

With this current meltdown happening presidents week, how many mountains are done with snowmaking? I'm sure the major players will resurface when it cools off tomorrow night, but many smaller hills are probably done making snow for the year.

Jully

Crotched said on social media that they may resurface. I really hope so. Good chance they'll be down to bare ground I think...

Attitash I fear might be done though... will be interesting to see.

drjeff

Doubt we'll see much later this week - marginal temps the majority of the time for a good chunk of ski country with an unsettled, air mass around won't yield very decent wet bulb temps.

Much more favorable air mass looks to arrive later next week, which would right about the time some of next seasons pass pricing and offers typically start dropping.... Win-win for the marketing Dept!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

I'm not really worried about epic devastation from today and tomorrow... at least based on what I've seen in Southern, central and Northern VT over the last few weeks up till yesterday.

The base is pretty bulletproof. It's not the stuff that melts in one day. Some of the fresh stuff will, but I don't think we're going back to square one here. The weekend looks potentially promising for the mountains to start us on the way back to good again.

John9

I hope and think Camelback will. First week of March looks like winter is back. Question is how much damage this week's coming rain will do?

chuckstah

Crotched said on social media that they may resurface. I really hope so. Good chance they'll be down to bare ground I think...

Attitash I fear might be done though... will be interesting to see.

Crotched was nice spring conditions this afternoon, but thin areas and ice flows all around. Down to 19 trails when I left at 3 ish. Gonna be bad after tomorrow. If they don't resurface, terrrain will be very limited and the spring season will be very short. Unless natural snow kicks in of course.

Glenn

I took a look at the Stratton cams this AM. Definitely some melting up there. Today is another warm one. Ugh!

cdskier

Looking at the Sugarbush webcams...the base area looks incredibly thin. I'm sure there's some snow they could push around to cover up the bare spots a bit once the temps drop, but I still wasn't expecting the base area to look that brown. Will be interesting to see if they fire up any guns like they did last year after the President's torch.

NYDB

I'm not really worried about epic devastation from today and tomorrow... at least based on what I've seen in Southern, central and Northern VT over the last few weeks up till yesterday.

The base is pretty bulletproof. It's not the stuff that melts in one day. Some of the fresh stuff will, but I don't think we're going back to square one here. The weekend looks potentially promising for the mountains to start us on the way back to good again.

I think you are underestimating the damage being done in So VT. Bare ground on non snowmaking after today. 22208 (002).jpg22210 (002).jpg

Last edited:

John9

I am afraid to think what is going to be, it's going to rain for the next 4 days! But 1st week of March is cold, with rumors of polar vortex return.

Jully

I think you are underestimating the damage being done in So VT. Bare ground on non snowmaking after today.

I worry there will be bare ground on snowmaking terrain for some mountains. In NH, Crotched and Attitash were rather thin in a few spots. Wouldn't shock me if some snowmaking trails closed. Obviously that can be repaired quicker than natural stuff, but I worry Peaks won't bother... we will see.

It's mid-Feb. A lot can happen, especially up north.

Still have a Berkshire East, Sugarbush/Smuggs and a 2 day Stowe trip on the calendar for early to mid March. If I can make this happen it will get me 23+ days this season. I'd be happy with that considering the quality and variety of the destinations this season.

KustyTheKlown

I'm in interior BC from March 1-10

I have plans to be at Stowe/sugarbush march 17 weekend

I have plans to be at k/pico march 24 weekend

I have plans to finish my ski VT 5 pack wherever the snow is best 3/31 weekend

I have plans to ski whiteface for my bday weekend 4/6-4/8

I have plans to ski superstar in a t shirt in late April/early may

That will bring me to 51 days. 1 more than my goal.

chuckstah

I worry there will be bare ground on snowmaking terrain for some mountains. In NH, Crotched and Attitash were rather thin in a few spots. Wouldn't shock me if some snowmaking trails closed. Obviously that can be repaired quicker than natural stuff, but I worry Peaks won't bother... we will see.
Trails were closing during the day at Crotched today. Damage on every trail.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

The big players will likely (have to) resurface and can afford to do so. For the smaller guys, another potential electrical Demand hit coupled will marginal at best snowmaking temps in the next 10 days is not going to be worth it for most. They will have to farm what they can to survive and hope for colder temps / hope for a March 2017 repeat.