• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat?

gittist

Does anyone know what's happening at Wildcat? Will they make the projected opening date? Their webcams aren't up and there's nothing on their webpage.

urungus

Was hoping to be there on opening day, but with the blowtorch temperatures forecast through Thursday, it’s not going to happen. Next snowmaking window appears to be coming around the 17th.

gittist

Thanks for the info. I figured that would be the case after looking at the weather reports. I guess that detour is scrubbed :-(

deadheadskier

Staff member
With the temps having been in the 60s and 70s all week, do they even have any snow?
No. Completely wiped out.

I have my doubts for next weekend, nevermind this weekend. Under perfect snowmaking conditions, it takes probably at least 48 hours of snowmaking with their system to cover Lynx TTB.

New GM and maybe his strategy will be different, but in the past Cat really only fires up the guns early season when they see a solid 24 hour window. They are not like Killington or Sunday River who will fire things up for quick overnight windows.

If I were to bet, I'd pick day after Thanksgiving as first day of the season

urungus

There’s a pretty solid window from Monday - Thursday next week, particularly the last 2 days. Plus a few inches of natural snow in the forecast. Will be interesting to see if it’s enough to open next weekend

thebigo

If I was a betting man, I would take the Tuesday or Wednesday before thanksgiving.

Was the new GM an internal promotion or outside hire?

deadheadskier

Staff member
There’s a pretty solid window from Monday - Thursday next week, particularly the last 2 days. Plus a few inches of natural snow in the forecast. Will be interesting to see if it’s enough to open next weekend

It looks like an okay window. To clarify, when I say perfect, we are talking 15 degrees with little humidity. They lack the air pressure to really crank out the snow over the entirety of the 1.5ish mile Lynx trail. I'm not seeing those conditions next week so they will likely only do half the trail at a time. That probably means they need more like 96 hours to get it done.

Personally I've always felt they'd be better served using Catapult as the opening trail. Start at the bottom and get the Bobcat chair going, then move up to the summit.

Edd

Personally I've always felt they'd be better served using Catapult as the opening trail. Start at the bottom and get the Bobcat chair going, then move up to the summit.
That’s never occurred to me, I’m so fixated on the HSQ. I suppose they want to channel every dime they can into Lynx to go the distance towards May. Bobcat chair can be fun to lap.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That’s never occurred to me, I’m so fixated on the HSQ. I suppose they want to channel every dime they can into Lynx to go the distance towards May. Bobcat chair can be fun to lap.
I think Catapult holds snow a bit better than Lynx. So it could be used for the late season trail as well. Heck, blow Bobcat trail extra deep and if the top of the mountain burns out in April, you can still run the Bobcat chair.

The only real issue is the Bobcat chair is a bit of a slog from the base lodge