• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Americans be Allowed to Ski in Canada Next Winter?

Andrew B.

Are there specific posts you find don't belong in a thread about Canadian covid protocols?
For me it would be the posts that take this down the rabbit hole of the politics of Covid. Basically any thing with right wing, left wing, etc. they add no value or information.

Conjecture on the “reason” or “reasons” why Canada is doing what they are doing is simply an excuse to offer a political opinion.

thebigo

There is an unfortunate situation in our current society where some individuals see every discussion as an opportunity to advance their political agenda, no matter how off topic.

My grandmother used to determine an individual's religion before she could be friends with anyone. If she met another catholic they would discuss cooking, sports, etc. If she met someone of another faith, she would discuss faith only. It was exhausting and regrettably reminds me of society's current discourse.

fbrissette

FULLY VACCINATED POPULATION: July 8, 2021

America 48%
Canada 40%

But sure, spew your ridiculous left-wing socialized medicine propaganda.

Actually, why isnt Canada at almost 100% by now?

It's been many months............ Herp-derp....... Derp-herp.....
These are correct but somewhat misleading. The US had a nearly 3 months head start on vaccination and Canada (as you know) favored a longer delay between first and second dose in favor of getting a first dose to more people more rapidly, which turned out to be a good strategy. Canada should be around 70-75% fully vaccinated by the end of August and 80% in September, which is really 90% of people above 12 years old. Afaik, Canada has secured the most doses per capita in the world quite early on, but lack of domestic production explains the show start.

abc

My grandmother used to determine an individual's religion before she could be friends with anyone. If she met another catholic they would discuss cooking, sports, etc. If she met someone of another faith, she would discuss faith only. It was exhausting and regrettably reminds me of society's current discourse.
As our society get less and less religious, politics is becoming the new religion.

ne_skier

Political polarization is largely caused by a lack of social activity and thinking that Twitter, Instagram, etc are real life. So please, if you struggle to think about anything other than politics, go make some friends or just touch some grass. Now back to skiing.

abc

Now back to skiing.
Back to skiing means I will wait till the last minute to decide on my pass for next season.

Being able to ski the Canadian mountains included in the pass plays a big part in what I choose to get a particularly version of a pass or not. So if it look like the Canadians are not likely to let us in, I'll buy a more limited pass than if it looks like they'll likely (or better yet, decided to let us in shortly). No sense wasting money on passes that includes more resorts which I can't get to.

dblskifanatic

Back to skiing means I will wait till the last minute to decide on my pass for next season.

Being able to ski the Canadian mountains included in the pass plays a big part in what I choose to get a particularly version of a pass or not. So if it look like the Canadians are not likely to let us in, I'll buy a more limited pass than if it looks like they'll likely (or better yet, decided to let us in shortly). No sense wasting money on passes that includes more resorts which I can't get to.

So Both Epic and Ikon have 7-8 Canadian locations and way more in the US. I would be curious what other pass options you consider that have either a greater number of resorts in Canada or give you other choices in the US as far as destinations?

fbrissette

Unless something completely unpredictable happens, the US-Canada Border will be open to fully vaccinated US citizens sometimes late summer/fall.

Why ?

- By then, somewhere between 80-90% of Canadians above 12 years old will be fully vaccinated;
- Because it makes economics sense;
- Because Canadian citizens by enlarge now want it open (this was not the case not that long ago);
- By then, even the Trudeau governement will have run out of any arguments (good and idiotic, since this government uses both indiscriminately) to keep it close.

Canadians, by enlarge, have followed all governmental COVID-19 guidelines, including some of the most restrictive in the world over the past 15 months, all under the deal that once a vaccination threshold was going to be reached, life would resume as normal. We are arriving at this point now and I can tell you that the mood across the country is the same - Canadians will definitely hold the government up to its end of the bargain. Canadians want their life back and opening the US-Canada border is an important part of that.

abc

Canadians will definitely hold the government up to its end of the bargain. Canadians want their life back and opening the US-Canada border is an important part of that.
Let's hope that become true. It would also be refreshing to see how Canadians people and its government interact.

I have till September to make my decision. That's only 2 months away.

Last edited:

abc

So Both Epic and Ikon have 7-8 Canadian locations and way more in the US. I would be curious what other pass options you consider that have either a greater number of resorts in Canada or give you other choices in the US as far as destinations?
As I said often enough times on here, the number of resorts in a mega pass isn't important once it goes beyond 10. The only thing matter is the resort one wants to ski!

In this case, it's Kicking Horse and Fernie that I'm interested in (Together with Whistler) The latter is on both Epic Local and the full Epic. But the former (KH/Fernie) is only on the full Epic. There's a $200 difference in price between those 2 versions of pass. Without Whistler and the Rockie Mountain Canadian resorts, I wouldn't bother buying the full Epic pass.

Like I said, I have till September to make a decision.

Edd

You know, if the border opens, this could be a good year to hit Whistler on the assumption that crowds would be lighter because travel still won’t be normal globally.

abc

You know, if the border opens, this could be a good year to hit Whistler on the assumption that crowds would be lighter because travel still won’t be normal globally.
On the other hand, Americans could be flooding into Whistler.

Travel is crazy busy right now. If it keeps up like this, The coming ski season could make people wish for the low key 20/21 season.

Saturday July 4th weekend, we couldn't find any lodging just about anywhere in the state of Colorado! A fortuitous invitation from a friend had us rescued from having to sleep in our cars.

dblskifanatic

As I said often enough times on here, the number of resorts in a mega pass isn't important once it goes beyond 10. The only thing matter is the resort one wants to ski!

In this case, it's Kicking Horse and Fernie that I'm interested in (Together with Whistler) The latter is on both Epic Local and the full Epic. But the former (KH/Fernie) is only on the full Epic. There's a $200 difference in price between those 2 versions of pass. Without Whistler and the Rockie Mountain Canadian resorts, I wouldn't bother buying the full Epic pass.

Like I said, I have till September to make a decision.

Ah, that makes sense! I was just curious! You made a good point! I ended up with Epic Veteran - I am hoping Whistler will be available this winter.

abc

Ah, that makes sense! I was just curious! You made a good point! I ended up with Epic Veteran - I am hoping Whistler will be available this winter
Your point is also valid. There're a lot of US resorts to justify buying a pass. It's just a matter of which. Northeast vs Local vs full epic (I have credit that I need to use, so only the Epic family is being considered)

Even without Whistler, I can still justify buying the Epic Local (over the Epic Northeast, as I did in 20/21 season), as I would likely travel to Colorado and California as I typically do each season. But it wouldn't justify the $200 premium of full Epic just for the holiday blackouts. (ok, the full Epic adds a few other US mountains, notably Telluride and Snowbasin. But I have no plan to ski them in 21/22 season)

Edd

On the other hand, Americans could be flooding into Whistler.

Travel is crazy busy right now. If it keeps up like this, The coming ski season could make people wish for the low key 20/21 season.

Saturday July 4th weekend, we couldn't find any lodging just about anywhere in the state of Colorado! A fortuitous invitation from a friend had us rescued from having to sleep in our cars.
Americans may, but Whistler is a global destination. I can’t imagine them getting overwhelmed this coming season.

abc

Americans may, but Whistler is a global destination. I can’t imagine them getting overwhelmed this coming season.
There were a lot of thing I can't imagine happening which happened this past year. So I'm not predicting anything. Or at least not basing my plans on either past experience or my own personal predictions. I'll believe it when it actually happens. Otherwise, I'm fully prepared for it to not happen.

cdskier

Sure. I can see my vaccination certificate on the CDC VAMS site and I can see it in the hospital web portal to their Epic database. Dates. Vaccine used. Lot number. Most of the country didn’t do it that way. The rest of the first world doesn’t have that problem. Your vaccination record is in your health care database. It’s really easy to create vaccine passports that are highly accurate and are cross-checked.

NJ is now using a new app (Docket) to allow you to pull up your Vaccine info electronically from a Smartphone. It pulls data from the state's immunization database directly. When I downloaded the app to check it out, looks like Utah also has their database linked and CA, Minnesota, and Vermont are all coming soon too. I could see more states doing this as well.