• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Americans be Allowed to Ski in Canada Next Winter?

crystalmountainskier

Extremely frustrating that Canadians, vaccinated or not, can visit the US, Mexico, Europe, Asia, etc. and return without quarantine while vaccinated Americans cannot enter Canada at all. The policy is clearly based on fear/politics, not science.

machski

Extremely frustrating that Canadians, vaccinated or not, can visit the US, Mexico, Europe, Asia, etc. and return without quarantine while vaccinated Americans cannot enter Canada at all. The policy is clearly based on fear/politics, not science.
Not fully correct. Citizens must be fully vaxed to waive quarantine requirements on return to Canada. And their quarantine requirements for even their citizens are a bit onerous (3 day mandated airport hotel quarantine until arrival Covid test returns negative, then completion of 14 day quarantine at residence followed by a second Covid test, needing to come back negative before leaving residence).

All this said, Trudeau stated yesterday that Canada is moving towards fully reopening, looks for specific details in the next few weeks. He did warn they are still easing in as they do not want to have to relock down after reopening (he did let that possibility hang should Covid resurge in Canada. I wouldn't rush to make winter Vaca plans, even if Canada boarder reopens in a month or so.)

Edd

Unless the Delta variant causes substantial problems, I’d bet $ Americans are skiing Canada next year. I’d think the traveling skier demographic would tend to be vaccinated, and they can require proof so seems like a non-issue to me.

Geoff

Unless the Delta variant causes substantial problems, I’d bet $ Americans are skiing Canada next year. I’d think the traveling skier demographic would tend to be vaccinated, and they can require proof so seems like a non-issue to me.
If I were running Canadian public health, I wouldn’t accept flimsy and easy to forge paper from Americans as proof of vaccination. It’s about as valid as an emotional support dog certificate from Amazon.

crystalmountainskier

If I were running Canadian public health, I wouldn’t accept flimsy and easy to forge paper from Americans as proof of vaccination. It’s about as valid as an emotional support dog certificate from Amazon.
They accept paper vaccine cards for Canadians so Americans should be no different once the border opens.

2Planker

Don't think I'll be making any Whistler plans for next season in the near future
May have to see how it plays out for Air Travel

As for "the border" opening up - Tremblant and Quebec City/Mt St Anne have always been fun 4-5 day roadtrips, BUT I'm not sure that is gonna be possible either if they still have the mandatory quarantine

NYDB

I have my excelsior pass! And I hope to be using it on a trip to Revy-KH-Banff next winter.

Thanks Andy!

HowieT2

I'm booked to go 7/27 to calgary banff jasper golden nelson vancouver. I think they'll open to vaccinated americans but probably not before august.

2Planker

I'm booked to go 7/27 to calgary banff jasper golden nelson vancouver. I think they'll open to vaccinated americans but probably not before august.
I went 5-6 weeks ago for bus. mtng. in Quebec. Mandatory 3 day Quarantine in Airport hotel is the worst part....
Luckily I was consulting for the Gov't so I was "excused from Quarantine" after my airport test came back NEG the next day.

I have a Post Doc Fellow who is fully Vacc. and wants to go home to Toronto for only 1 week in late July. She'd have to do 2 weeks Q before seeing her family, THEN our Univ. requires a remote week w/ 2 neg tests for Vacc individuals before she can even return to the Med campus. That's 3 weeks of Quarantine in order to see your family for 1 week. Not to mention it is also your entire 4 weeks Vac. OUCH

Forget it you're UnVacc and coming in internationally.
2 Weeks mandatory Q, multiple tests and Masked 100% of the time on campus. Luckily, I don't know anyone here that hasn't been Vacc by now

Last edited:

Hawk

Gonna be dam poor sleddin on 7/27 Howie. You might want to extend those dates. LOL

HowieT2

Gonna be dam poor sleddin on 7/27 Howie. You might want to extend those dates. LOL
I'm actually all set up for multiple days mtn biking in Golden and Nelson which I'm really looking forward to. Thinking there's less than a 10% chance at this point it happens. I can wait until the 21st to cancel all the reservations.

dblskifanatic

Been to Golden. BEST ski trip ever !!!!!!
https://chattercreek.ca/

Kicking Horse! We went there as part of our Banff trip - couples hours away. The base was shitty but the the upper bowls were awesome. Found out the hard way that ski any other bowl than Crystal you are committed to ski to the base to get back up. After a couple times we decided to stick to Crystal Bowl and lap Stairway to Heaven. Definitely some nice steep walls up there! Will never forget it!

2Planker

Kicking Horse! We went there as part of our Banff trip - couples hours away. The base was shitty but the the upper bowls were awesome. Found out the hard way that ski any other bowl than Crystal you are committed to ski to the base to get back up. After a couple times we decided to stick to Crystal Bowl and lap Stairway to Heaven. Definitely some nice steep walls up there! Will never forget it!
Kicking Horse was a 2 day warm up before the Feet of Powder at Chatter Creek
Skied all over the world for 50+ years, and nothing will ever beat that :)

Geoff

They accept paper vaccine cards for Canadians so Americans should be no different once the border opens.
The difference is that the vaccination record is in the provincial database associated with your health card. It’s really easy to cross check the .pdf you upload to ArriveCAN and your health record. It’s big fines if you get caught. US vaccination is so politicized that there is no way to confirm that the flimsy vaccination card isn’t a forgery.

With the Delta variant now the dominant strain, I don’t see Canada allowing Americans in until they achieve herd immunity. It’s a country with real public health.

Hawk

I was talking to Howie about maybe jumping on a trip this winter with him up there. Playing the wait and see right now. Based on the availably of cat skiing and Heli slots, it seems that most people are betting that this will not be an issue. Most weeks are full and the waiting list is big.