• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will internet radio take over AM/FM?

Glenn

I listen to a lot of interweb raio over the BlackBerry...driving around town, driving to and from VT and up in VT over Wifi. After listening to Pandora, I started to notice how "blah" FM radio can be. Same songs over and over, too many of the same commercials...over and over.

This article talks about how Pandora and other internet radio "stations" are getting popular: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ikes-of-pandora-poised-to-kill-amfm-radio.ars

However, it doesn't look like traditional radio will be going away soon.

It is interesting to note that the car makers are starting to offer Pandora integration on OEM radio systems now. How cool would it be to launch a Pandora app on your car stereo intest of presets for regular radio?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Radio isn't dead yet. It's interesting to me, because as a kid growing up, I really only had two choices on where my music came from. Radio for new music or cassette for stuff I already liked. Of course I didn't think about it then in those terms.

Now, we have numerous different choices. MP3, Satellite, CD, (HD)Radio, WiFi or 3/4G. To me, satellite radio's sound quality doesn't quite compare to MP3, it's a giant leap better then FM or HDR. In this area, the cable companies are doing massive wifi transponder deployments and I can drive from town to town without dropping my connection.

I've been using satellite while in the car, mostly out of convenience. I like it because I don't have to pick the songs played.

Trekchick

I rarely listen ton FM radio since I have XM on my Yukon.....
My former husband still listens to FM, and is not alone among his friends who all have their fav local stations..........I doubt FM is dead.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm spoiled by satellite radio, I'd rather not listen to FM anymore. One of these days I'll hook up my phone in the car to stream Pandora and drop satellite too.

o3jeff

Internet or FM for me. I just can't see spending money on satellite radio when there are plenty of free choices.

drjeff

Satellite the vast majority of the time for me, unless I want to listen to the local Boston sports talk radio and/or Patriots post game coverage when it's FM for me

o3jeff

I felt the same way for a long time. They got me hooked with the 6 months trial.

I had a free year of Siruis in my Jeep and now they call and mail me things 2-3 times a week even though I've told them I don't own the vehicle anymore. Offered it to me for $77 a year year yesterday even after I reminded them and tried to explain to them that I don't own the vehicle so I don't need it.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Internet or FM for me. I just can't see spending money on satellite radio when there are plenty of free choices.
Yeah, don't get used to that. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/pandora_founder_outlines_ambitious_plans_rake_revenue You'll be paying for it eventually, or listen to the same repetitive ads that plague broadcast radio.

We were rockin' out to some Pandora at work, and right in the middle of one of my co-workers touting it's "freeness" we heard a commercial. That is one thing you don't get on the music-only channels of Satellite radio. What I like about both services is you can listen to the same feed no matter where you are. Back when I was commuting 85 miles each way to work this was key to keeping my sanity. Constantly changing stations because you're moving out of broadcast range is so turn of the century.

When people tell me "Pffff. I'd never pay for something I can get for free..."
I ask: "Then why do you pay for TV?"
Their reply: "Because cable is better / offers more choices / broadcast quality sucks."
And my answer is: "There you go..."

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

+1. Broadcast radio is free. Everything else costs you money, XM, Crackberry, Cell phone programs, even internet access. Unless of course you have someone else paying for it like your employer.

We also learned during 9/11 that the internet is not particularly scalable in the event of a major catastrophe. Don't get me going about "how the net has changed", I've been in the business for 30 years and watched every technology top out either unexpectedly or unexpectedly. Broadcast radio is infinitely scalable.

The demographic that skis is a particularly small sector of the US, and of course the world. They have more disposable income to buy access. The majority of the population makes significantly less money.

I, being the cheapness that I am, rip internet radio in 70 minute streams and put it on my Ipod.

Most people in developing countries, get their internet fix at their employer's office. They can ill afford the connection.

hammer

what exactly is HD radio? I've seen that advertised.

Info/advertisement page link:

http://www.hdradio.com/what_is_hd_digital_radio.php

I have an HD receiver in my car. Sound quality is better than standard FM/AM (and better than satellite IMO) but the range is still low, and like any digital broadcast it's all or nothing. Many (but not all) HD FM "stations between the stations" don't have commercials but that seems to be changing.

I also had the 6-month Sirius free subscription...didn't do much for me.

For the most part, I'd rather just listen to what I have on my iPod when commuting and listen on Pandora at home or at work. I did pay for the Pandora subscription but $36 for the year seemed decent to be able to up the data rate. If that gets much more I'd drop back to what I can get for free.

bvibert

Staff member

Satellite blows FM out of the water and I used to think FM was fine. I didn't want to pay for it either, but once I tried it I just couldn't go back to regular FM radio. I still don't want to pay for it, so I'll probably make a switch to a combination of Pandora and MP3s soon.

ctenidae

Been hooked on satellite for 5 years now. Hate it when I have a rental car and can't find any stations.
Haven't done the Pandora on the phone thing too much- cell service in the places where I'm listening tends to be spotty (primarily train from NY to Boston)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
We were rockin' out to some Pandora at work, and right in the middle of one of my co-workers touting it's "freeness" we heard a commercial. That is one thing you don't get on the music-only channels of Satellite radio.
I've listened to satellite radio in hubby's car and it's not like it's all music only--there are still interruptions from DJs. I consider it even less than the interruptions on Pandora, which are generally pretty short.
+1. Broadcast radio is free. Everything else costs you money, XM, Crackberry, Cell phone programs, even internet access. Unless of course you have someone else paying for it like your employer.
But you're already paying for internet for other purposes so it's not an added expense.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Exactly my point. You're paying for it.

So you're going to stop paying for internet because you disagree with paying for radio?

My point is that you're already paying for internet so you can chat on boards like this and whatever else you're doing. Utilizing radio capabilities would be better use of a service you're already paying for, versus buying satellite radio that is only for satellite radio.

SkiDork

I had a bad experience with Sirius, in a nutshell I had put the service on hold for 5 months, at the end of that they had sent me an e-mail saying they were going to cancel my service unless I reinstated it, I replied to the e-mail (didn't say do not reply) to please cancel my account. About 3 months later I get a bill from them for 3 months of service, which I didn't even know had been activated. According to the e-mail the default was cancellation, not activation. Unfortunately I could not find that e-mail but when I contacted CS they were a bunch of pricks and told me there was nothing they could do to eliminate the months they charged me for which I didn't know I had and didn't use. Escalating to manager etc. they just stonewalled. I paid the bill and told them the worst thing that happened was the merger with XM as they now were a monopoly.

Even though I really like Sirius, (I also love listening to the comedy channels on the long drive to K) I won't go back on principle