• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

wondering....

SKIQUATTRO

why are the numbers on a calculator upside down from the numbers on a phone?

discuss....

Edd

Noticed that a few years ago. I don't know which came on the market first (guessing the calculator) but I wonder if the newcomer wanted to avoid a lawsuit or something.

Geoff

Noticed that a few years ago. I don't know which came on the market first (guessing the calculator) but I wonder if the newcomer wanted to avoid a lawsuit or something.

Calculators have the same layout as mechanical adding machines. John Karlin, an industrial psychologist at Bell Labs, came up with the telephone keypad layout. It turns out people had an easier time memorizing telephone numbers using that layout instead of the adding machine layout. Only at the old monopoly telephone company would anyone have had access to the enormous budget to spend years researching something like that.

VictorAddingMachine1.gif