• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WRX drivers annoy me

AdironRider

You guys all sound really old. I really dont buy the whole "why do we need fast cars" argument that has been brought up. While I myself am a bit of a car nut, specifically e30 3 series BMW's, there are plenty of instances where a quick car is nice. Merging onto rt 1 during rush hour in Saugus comes to mind. Getting out the way of some shmuck who doesnt see you comes to mind as well. Why not have a car that can get out of its own way, sure you might not use it that often, but when you need it its pretty damn nice.

The wrx is a popular car cause for the money (around 25k if I remember right) your going to be hard pressed to find a better performance car. The wrx is relatively quick, has awd, and is pretty damn reliable. 0-60 in 5.4 seems a stretch, but if you know how to drive and keep the revs up your not going to blown out of the water. What else compares? A VW r32 is not that cheap, and a chevy cobalt ss doesnt have awd. So yeah, while I agree everyone blows their load over the wrx a bit to much, its really one of the best bang for the buck cars out there.

koreshot

You guys all sound really old. I really dont buy the whole "why do we need fast cars" argument that has been brought up. While I myself am a bit of a car nut, specifically e30 3 series BMW's, there are plenty of instances where a quick car is nice. Merging onto rt 1 during rush hour in Saugus comes to mind. Getting out the way of some shmuck who doesnt see you comes to mind as well. Why not have a car that can get out of its own way, sure you might not use it that often, but when you need it its pretty damn nice.

The wrx is a popular car cause for the money (around 25k if I remember right) your going to be hard pressed to find a better performance car. The wrx is relatively quick, has awd, and is pretty damn reliable. 0-60 in 5.4 seems a stretch, but if you know how to drive and keep the revs up your not going to blown out of the water. What else compares? A VW r32 is not that cheap, and a chevy cobalt ss doesnt have awd. So yeah, while I agree everyone blows their load over the wrx a bit to much, its really one of the best bang for the buck cars out there.

I think you missed the original point of the post. Its not that the WRX is not a quick car, its that a lot of WRX owners can be a bit arrogant about their cars. Its more of a vent and silly discussion so no need to get bent out of shape and call us old :).

With regards to horsepower helping make you safer on the road - you are correct to some degree. A responsible driver with decent driving skill can use power to get themselves out of a tight situation, but more often than not, power can get people into trouble - especially those that like driving fast and aggressively and don't have the experience to back the dangerous behavior up. Like teenage drivers who are high risk.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I think you missed the original point of the post. Its not that the WRX is not a quick car, its that a lot of WRX owners can be a bit arrogant about their cars. Its more of a vent and silly discussion so no need to get bent out of shape and call us old :).

With regards to horsepower helping make you safer on the road - you are correct to some degree. A responsible driver with decent driving skill can use power to get themselves out of a tight situation, but more often than not, power can get people into trouble - especially those that like driving fast and aggressively and don't have the experience to back the dangerous behavior up. Like teenage drivers who are high risk.

Agreed. My '87 accord (may she rest in peace..she was 236,000 miles old when she died) had 107 horsepower. The 5 spd tranny made up for the small number of horses and she had plenty of pep off the line. With a real set of snow tires, I even took her on some unplowed dirt roads in vt. and didn't have issues. Since then, I think all of my cars have had at least 2x the horsepower...but except for perhaps my present ride, I don't think I've ever been in a better overall balanced car than that awesome '87 accord.

SKIQUATTRO

agreed, the car is fantastic, great bang for the buck....but the drivers it attracts has something to be desired. I've had my share of W's pulling up to me in the Audi and given' me the old third eye..

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Eastern bloc countries annoy me. Particularly those situated between the Black and Caspian Seas. Except of course Azerbaijan and Armenia. They're cool. And don't smell bad.

koreshot

Eastern bloc countries annoy me. Particularly those situated between the Black and Caspian Seas. Except of course Azerbaijan and Armenia. They're cool. And don't smell bad.

Amen to that! I hate those chechens too.

skijosh

In the words of Tony Soprano: Wudyagonnado?

Maybe the WRX owners can face off with the Z24 owners.

20D_07569.jpg

Z24 Z24 Z24 Z24 Z24 Z24

How did u get that pic of Moon and his Z24?
what do u really think of the Z24's?

www.v6z24.com
check out our forum. http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/moons-pic-on-a-wrx-site-t97772.html

Flyinbysti

lol....This thread makes me laugh to be honest.

I am an STi owner (yeah the more expensive big winged, big scooped, blah blah blah WRX). It is the best car I have owned for the money. I was looking at Audi S4's before purchasing the STi, but couldn't justify the S4 cost for the amount of miles I put on my car year (30-36K miles). The STi is 35K out the door. The STi performance is way different then the WRX, totally different suspsension setup, gear box is alot stronger, turbo lag is nill.

You put snow tires on the thing and it's unstoppable in the winter months. I have driven through 8in of snow on unplowed roads a couple of times with out and problem at all, I have only had to put the DCCD (Driver Controled Center Differental) in lock one time and that was to get out of a parking spot at work where they have plowed me in.

Dispite what you might believe, the car will perform to the #'s which magzines claim. My car bone stock 1/4 ran a 13.3@102 with a 1.8 60'. That was launching the car at 5500. My car is Stage II right now putting out a little under 300 to the wheels and 335tq. There is no false sense of fast for 0-60, the car gets there in a hurry and continues to pull right on past 60 with out any issue's at all. You will get to 160mph in a hurry no doubt about it. Even in stock for it had no problem at all acclerating clear past 100mph. With my current tune, I get between 30-36mpg on the highway and mid 20's in the city. If I am really beating on the car I will get 18-mid 20's. I have never seen less the 18mpg under any dirving condition. As far as keeping up with most car or being faster. It's true, the STi is faster then alot of more expensive cars just in stock form, modded and you will have no problem keeping up with more expensive performance cars.

I have 92K on the STi now and daily drive the thing, I haven't had any issues with. Just do regular oil changes and upkeep, I'm still on the stock clutch at this point.

I think the issue most of you are running into are younger people who run their mouth or think that they have something to prove. Most STi owners don't have anything to prove becuase they know what the car is capable of and wont waste time being an idiot or running there mouth.

drjeff

lol....This thread makes me laugh to be honest.

I am an STi owner (yeah the more expensive big winged, big scooped, blah blah blah WRX). It is the best car I have owned for the money. I was looking at Audi S4's before purchasing the STi, but couldn't justify the S4 cost for the amount of miles I put on my car year (30-36K miles). The STi is 35K out the door. The STi performance is way different then the WRX, totally different suspsension setup, gear box is alot stronger, turbo lag is nill.

You put snow tires on the thing and it's unstoppable in the winter months. I have driven through 8in of snow on unplowed roads a couple of times with out and problem at all, I have only had to put the DCCD (Driver Controled Center Differental) in lock one time and that was to get out of a parking spot at work where they have plowed me in.

Dispite what you might believe, the car will perform to the #'s which magzines claim. My car bone stock 1/4 ran a 13.3@102 with a 1.8 60'. That was launching the car at 5500. My car is Stage II right now putting out a little under 300 to the wheels and 335tq. There is no false sense of fast for 0-60, the car gets there in a hurry and continues to pull right on past 60 with out any issue's at all. You will get to 160mph in a hurry no doubt about it. Even in stock for it had no problem at all acclerating clear past 100mph. With my current tune, I get between 30-36mpg on the highway and mid 20's in the city. If I am really beating on the car I will get 18-mid 20's. I have never seen less the 18mpg under any dirving condition. As far as keeping up with most car or being faster. It's true, the STi is faster then alot of more expensive cars just in stock form, modded and you will have no problem keeping up with more expensive performance cars.

I have 92K on the STi now and daily drive the thing, I haven't had any issues with. Just do regular oil changes and upkeep, I'm still on the stock clutch at this point.

I think the issue most of you are running into are younger people who run their mouth or think that they have something to prove. Most STi owners don't have anything to prove becuase they know what the car is capable of and wont waste time being an idiot or running there mouth.

Maturity can be a wonderfull thing if used properly!

cbcbd

I think the WRX pricewise is more accessible to the younger crowd than an STi - most STi owners I've met/seen are older - professionals, guys who autoX competitively, car industry folk... you know, people who are usually more mature and "serious" about their car and have the extra cash to get that car and mod their cars right - not the guys who slap on a bigger wing, buy a bunch of guages, get a boost controller and turn it up willy nilly until they go Boom!

Flyinbysti

I think the WRX pricewise is more accessible to the younger crowd than an STi - most STi owners I've met/seen are older - professionals, guys who autoX competitively, car industry folk... you know, people who are usually more mature and "serious" about their car and have the extra cash to get that car and mod their cars right - not the guys who slap on a bigger wing, buy a bunch of guages, get a boost controller and turn it up willy nilly until they go Boom!

You would be a little suprised. I don't know what age you would conside to be a more mature adult type. There are alot of STi owners out there who are younger believe it or not. I know a few people under 20 with STi's, I know a real lot of people under 20 who have Evo's. Most STi owners are in the 20's and lower 30's. But there are a few above the margin being 40-50.

You are right though, the STi is priced on the higher end of the scale so it is out of reach to most kids without the help of someone.

A WRX is alot more easily obtained. Higher milage WRX's can be had for around 15K or less. The biggest problem I have noticed with the WRX is drive in experience. It is a powerful car anyway you slice it up. The AWD system give you a false sense of security and being invinsible. When you drive the car on the hairy edge and loose it, there is no turning back your along for the ride. For alot of drivers the problem is they don't know where the edge is and it's to late before they have a chance to correct.