• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Favorite Power Tool

Hawkshot99

My battery powered Impact wrench. I remember when my dad first bought a air powered impact, when I was little, and no longer needed to use sockets for everything. I thought that was awesome! Now I keep my battery Impact in my truck, and can change a tire much quicker, or the blades on my mower in just a few mins while out on a customers property.

Next best tool would be the chainsaw. Yes they can be dangerous, but if you treat it properly, they are non-replaceable tool.

Geoff

gasoline powered blender

tailgator-gas-powered-3860.jpg

darent

janski's favorite tool is the milwaukee super sawzall with rotating head, great for demo so I have to finish her honeydo list!!

Cannonball

I don't disagree with anything said here. Love all of those tools. But if favorite = most often used, then circular saw probably wins for me. Because I'm lazy about pulling lots of tools out it ends up doing the work of table saw, chop saw, sawzall, etc. I've had the same Porter Cable circular saw for over 25 years. And I couldn't even guess at the miles of cuts it's made.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I don't disagree with anything said here. Love all of those tools. But if favorite = most often used, then circular saw probably wins for me. Because I'm lazy about pulling lots of tools out it ends up doing the work of table saw, chop saw, sawzall, etc. I've had the same Porter Cable circular saw for over 25 years. And I couldn't even guess at the miles of cuts it's made.

Funny, those are my thoughts about a sawzall.

MR. evil

The other tool I should of bad on my list are my finish nail guns. Not sure how I would do trim work without them. I also have a framing nailer but don't use it nearly as much as my finish nail guns.

For those of you that don't have an impact driver....get one! It will quickly move to the top of your favorite tools list. My 12 volt lithium ion DeWalt impact driver, drives 4" deck screws and lag bolts better than my old DeWalt 18v cordless drill. You will also say good bye to stripped screw heads.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
For those of you that don't have an impact driver....get one! It will quickly move to the top of your favorite tools list. My 12 volt lithium ion DeWalt impact driver, drives 4" deck screws and lag bolts better than my old DeWalt 18v cordless drill. You will also say good bye to stripped screw heads.

Good to know, have to check into it. Is an impact driver good for drilling in concrete?

MR. evil

Good to know, have to check into it. Is an impact driver good for drilling in concrete?

No, they are not drills. They are purely used to drive screws and, bolts and lag bolts. You still need a drill for drilling.

hammer

The other tool I should of bad on my list are my finish nail guns. Not sure how I would do trim work without them. I also have a framing nailer but don't use it nearly as much as my finish nail guns.

I replaced my old cordless drill with this set.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...mbo-Kit-2-Tool-LCT200W/100596872#.UYaph6LSaLI

Made me wonder why i used a drill to drive in screws for so many years.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Savemeasammy

Originally Posted by andyzee

You want a hammer drill for that.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on a DeWalt, Ryobi makes a decent Impact Driver good enough for most homeowner's use. You can get a Driver / Drill combo kit from Home Depot for short money. They often go on sale. We got ours for $120 a few years ago and they've worked fine.

I'm not a ryobi fan or owner, however I have seen first hand the ryobi outperform a Milwaukee. Both 18v.

MR. evil

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on a DeWalt, Ryobi makes a decent Impact Driver good enough for most homeowner's use. You can get a Driver / Drill combo kit from Home Depot for short money. They often go on sale. We got ours for $120 a few years ago and they've worked fine.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ON...-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-P882/203406854#.UYa9LbWkpsU

Friends don't let friends buy Ryobi tools........ In all seriousness they are for the most part disposable power tools. Spend the extra money up front. My previous DeWalt XPS 18v cordless drill lasted me over 12 years of heavy use. It still works just fine but the batteries don't hold a decent charge anymore. I ended up getting the new DeWalt impact driver / drill combo kit because it was aboutnrhe same cost as two new batteries for my old drill. With the use my tools see I would have probably gone through 3 or 4 Ryobi drills in that time frame.

Hawkshot99

Friends don't let friends buy Ryobi tools........ In all seriousness they are for the most part disposable power tools. Spend the extra money up front. My previous DeWalt XPS 18v cordless drill lasted me over 12 years of heavy use. It still works just fine but the batteries don't hold a decent charge anymore. I ended up getting the new DeWalt impact driver / drill combo kit because it was aboutnrhe same cost as two new batteries for my old drill. With the use my tools see I would have probably gone through 3 or 4 Ryobi drills in that time frame.

Not everybody puts there stuff to as much use. I will spend the $ on stuff I use often. But Ryobi tools have worked great fpr me for the amount of use the ones I buy get.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

deadheadskier

Staff member

Well, I've got a Brother and Uncle who have a combined 50+ year careers as General Contractors and when they tell me that the Ryobi power tools being made over the past several years are more than adequate for all but professionals or those with serious hobbies, I'm going to take their word for it. Both said that ten years ago, there's no way they'd make that recommendation, but the Ryobi product quality isn't as poor as it once was. I was fully prepared to buy a DeWalt or Makita and when I asked them, they said for home use, you're wasting your money.

Like I said, I've had mine for 3+ years and they work just as good as the day I got them. For $119 you can afford to throw the tools away if they fail in a few years. Hell, a Dewalt replacement battery alone is going to cost you close to $100. For $20 more you get an Impact Driver, Cordless Drill and the battery.

MR. evil

Well, I've got a Brother and Uncle who have a combined 50+ year careers as General Contractors and when they tell me that the Ryobi power tools being made over the past several years are more than adequate for all but professionals or those with serious hobbies, I'm going to take their word for it. Both said that ten years ago, there's no way they'd make that recommendation, but the Ryobi product quality isn't as poor as it once was. I was fully prepared to buy a DeWalt or Makita and when I asked them, they said for home use, you're wasting your money.

Like I said, I've had mine for 3+ years and they work just as good as the day I got them. For $119 you can afford to throw the tools away if they fail in a few years. Hell, a Dewalt replacement battery alone is going to cost you close to $100. For $20 more you get an Impact Driver, Cordless Drill and the battery.

a couple of years ago my father bought one of the Ryobi combo kits that came with like 5 tools that all shared the same batteries. Over 2 years of moderate to heavy DYI use all but one of the 5 tools has either been replaced under warranty or out right thrown away and replaced with something decent. He has now spent much more money that if he just bought a decent set in the first place. The funny thing is he is the person that taught me never to buy cheap tools.

you also don't need to break the bank on DeWalt, PorterCable, Makita, Delta, Bosch, Hitachi, etc...... Rigid makes a very study long lasting tool that price wise falls right in the middle of the Ryobi stuff and big name brands.