• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Zeal Goggle Cam vs Go Pro??

Downhill Threads

Website
www.downhillthreads.com
Sorry if this has been covered before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Anyone have any experience with Zeal goggles that have the built-in HD camera? When I first saw the print ad I thought this would dominate the action-cam industry. But since then I haven't really heard anything about it. I'm sure GoPro has a much bigger marketing budget. But which is better? And what's the big differences?

Seems to me that a camera built in to my goggles would be much more convenient to one sticking up mounted to a helmet.

Zeal link: http://www.zealoptics.com/hdcameragoggle.html

Anyone have any first-hand reviews??

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
No first hand experience, but Im guessing with a goggle cam you are sacrificing some size and weight to put the camera there. But it's still probably less obvious than a big ass gopro from the head.

I like the standalone gopro for a few reasons:

1. I use it for other stuff besides skiing
2. When I'm not using it it's in a pocket or a backpack and doesn't bulk up my head
3. GoPro is clearly at the time the leader in image quality and options. The new Hero3+ is a pretty amazing camera.

I guess the bottom line is whether the trade offs are worth it. you get less ridiculous looking camera but at the expense or probably weight and also where you can use it.

Downhill Threads

Website
www.downhillthreads.com
Yeah, no doubt the quality of the GoPro video is amazing! And true... you can use it on your bike, or wherever. Just loved the idea of having it hidden in your goggles. But doesn't seem to be any hype around it. Was curious to why. Good call on weight. Didn't think about that.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, no doubt the quality of the GoPro video is amazing! And true... you can use it on your bike, or wherever. Just loved the idea of having it hidden in your goggles. But doesn't seem to be any hype around it. Was curious to why. Good call on weight. Didn't think about that.

I can't actually say if it's heavier or not. I'm not really sure. I would just guess it is bulkier.

As for the hype, who knows. Sometimes marketing can be a combo of luck + awareness :)