• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ne_skier

Groomers were nice today but strange conditions elsewhere - wind-blown powder over very sleek ice. Unless the sun seriously hits certain trails I wouldn’t count on much quality ungroomed skiing this weekend. Thin cover is an issue on a good few of the steeps too. Talisman and the whole west side was rough, to say the least.
Ratniks going along UMC and Sunshine Corner, as well as at the Black Chair unload area. Sounds like they’re moving snowmaking over to Talisman.
Work carrier was making the rounds on Black inspecting/working on sheaves, looks like they got signage up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Groomers were nice today but strange conditions elsewhere - wind-blown powder over very sleek ice. Unless the sun seriously hits certain trails I wouldn’t count on much quality ungroomed skiing this weekend. Thin cover is an issue on a good few of the steeps too. Talisman and the whole west side was rough, to say the least.
Ratniks going along UMC and Sunshine Corner, as well as at the Black Chair unload area. Sounds like they’re moving snowmaking over to Talisman.
Work carrier was making the rounds on Black inspecting/working on sheaves, looks like they got signage up.
Any word on a load test? Getting it open would be a game changer for them, at least that’s my hope.

skithetrees

They will need to make snow basically from broomstick to talisman in order to get wizard in acceptable shape for the masses. The runout needs a similar amount of work. It was ROUGH last weekend.

slatham

Based on my late day snowshoe upon arriving today the natural base is hard/icy and the snow this week was light and blown around and not enough. Groomers will be good, and per alpine update snowmaking to start tomorrow on Talisman. Should be a nice dry snow. By Sunday it should be nice and Monday sweet.

Hopefully a couple inches tonight to help the cause……

ne_skier

It span a bit today, saw people knocking ice off the drive terminal and installing base area signage/netting. Note that the snow report went from saying the inspection was Saturday to “this weekend”. Not a mind-reader but wouldn’t bet on Monday given the necessary non-passenger run time before opening.
On the bright side, the East Side was great today and lift lines actually not horrible
1708218581850.png

Last edited:

hughconway

It span a bit today, saw people knocking ice off the drive terminal and installing base area signage/netting. Note that the snow report went from saying the inspection was Saturday to “this weekend”. Not a mind-reader but wouldn’t bet on Monday given the necessary non-passenger run time before opening.
On the bright side, the East Side was great today and lift lines actually not horrible

I'm told that something went wrong on Friday, and some new parts needed to be located and ordered from the west coast. I'm going to assume that state inspection will have to wait until the part(s) come in and are installed. Sorry, don't have the details on what went wrong or the ETA for replacement parts.

slatham

View attachment 61183
How was TZ and Goniff?

ne_skier

How was TZ and Goniff?
Both pretty crusty and firm between the bumps but enjoyable. Goniff had more snow and the additional steepness made it easier to navigate for me. Witch however was all crust, no dust. If you have sharp edges it’s worth it though.

Also: Magic snow report now confirming Monday opening. Passed state inspection yesterday.

slatham

Black Line Quad passed its load test on Tuesday. And yesterday it passed State Inspection. A few punch list items to take care of today and getting it some run time before it launches Monday! The Quad will open to passholders first on Monday morning! So long and farewell to lift lines at Magic!

The above from snow report this morning.

Finally! Let’s hope she’s the reliable work horse Alpha’s have been elsewhere.

urungus

Black Line Quad passed its load test on Tuesday. And yesterday it passed State Inspection. A few punch list items to take care of today and getting it some run time before it launches Monday! The Quad will open to passholders first on Monday morning! So long and farewell to lift lines at Magic!

The above from snow report this morning.

Finally! Let’s hope she’s the reliable work horse Alpha’s have been elsewhere.
Where do you see that ? On snow report at https://magicmtn.com/snow-report/ I see “Black Line Quad needs a little more time with punch list so we expect it this week, after Monday. It needs some run time.”