• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Friday, 11/10/2006 (contingent on opening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now speaking for me. Time and $$$$ are tight. I have a lot of $$$ invested in Burke and ASC resorts. Unless I have a free ticket elsewhere, this is where I will be.

loafer89

I just called Bretton Woods and the lady that I spoke to said there is no chance of them opening before next weekend.:cry: Not that I want to drive 300 miles for a green trail.

My gut says that Sugarbush may be our best bet since they seem to like using lifts (what a novel idea) to access higher ski terrain.

Honestly at this point I feel like cutting my ASC pass in half, they are very frustrating.

Greg

Staff member
2). Re: Date. I think we should stick with the 10th but have a back-up date in mind. Again folks can get together on their own, but for this event we should try to make arrangements that meet most folk's goals. FWIW Fridays and weekends (I know, I know) are probably the best for most.
I'm kinda shot after the 10th until December. I might be able to do a Sunday, or maybe the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but Friday, the 17th is definitely out.

3). I'd keep the optimism. Many folks are relying on national sources, like Accuweather, which may not be as accurate. We won't know what the weather will be until the day after.
Tell that to Killington. They're not making snow down low. That means no opening, bottom-line.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tell that to Killington. They're not making snow down low. That means no opening, bottom-line.

Well, I'm not so sure about that. I think it is a function of the weather (which we can't really control....well, we can, but I'm not going there.... :wink: ).

I also think if the demand was high enough things may change. Any word on Sunday River?

loafer89

I am closing earlier on my house than we expected because the commute is killing me. We plan to move out on the 17th, so that day is out for me.

Greg

Staff member
Well, I'm not so sure about that. I think it is a function of the weather (which we can't really control....well, we can, but I'm not going there.... :wink: ).

I also think if the demand was high enough things may change. Any word on Sunday River?

That's what Tom and Dave posted on K-zone. Our only chance is trucking or downloading on the K1 somehow. Seems like a shame that all that snow that will be blown up top will just sit there, and no, I'm not driving 3:30 to hike it for a couple runs, although it did cross my mind...

SR is still up in the air. Probably the next most possible option...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, I'll be up there tomorrow hiking, I believe Marc is coming, anyone else? :)

Sorry Andy, you're going to have to find someone else incredibly good looking over on kzone for your vid this time around.

Pretty sure I'm going to hit up Jay on Sunday instead...

Greg

Staff member
Der....this just occurred to me. How's this for an option:

Run the K1 to the summit. Run the North Ridge Triple and open Rime/Reason, etc. To download, you hike back to the summit from the top of the North Ridge Triple to download on the K1. I would have absolutely no problem with that. I doubt many early seasoners would. Market the opening as expert terrain only.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Der....this just occurred to me. How's this for an option:

Run the K1 to the summit. Run the North Ridge Triple and open Rime/Reason, etc. To download, you hike back to the summit from the top of the North Ridge Triple to download on the K1. I would have absolutely no problem with that. I doubt many early seasoners would. Market the opening as expert terrain only.

Sounds great! Now all you have to do is talk Killington into it :smash:

loafer89

This works as well:

November9th1999.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
I still don't understand why they have a fear, re: downloading. Sugarbush does it. Killington used to be king of the early and late season...and they made $$$$.

Greg

Staff member
I wonder if the truck thing was some sort of liability for them. The K1 eliminates that and it's only a short hike back to the summit from the glades area.

Status
Not open for further replies.