• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Friday, 11/10/2006 (contingent on opening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tom did mention they have the budget for it. At this early point, they are being cautious though. They had to basically restart snowmaking operations last season three times, and it seems they are just a bit gun-shy at this early point. Another thing to consider is if they run the guns down low too, they lose capacity up top. Their goal is to put down a base up there that will stick around so they need to focus up high. Whether it gets cold or not next week will determine whether 11/10 can happen.

Very good points and very good observations.

This is a big reason why I like AZ. We can get to the bottom of things and have a good conversation that is civil. No yelling or name calling. Just facts. These facts explain in part why they are doing what they are doing.

If I am not in Boston, I will be seriously tempted to hike for turns.

loafer89

So, there you go. You market the opening as "Expert Terrain with some hiking required".

In October of 1997 Killington tried something new and opened top to bottom with Header on Rams Head. I skied Killington October 26-27th of that year.

In October of 1998 Killington used the K-1 and a truck up and down Goat Path to the snow on Rime.

October of 1998 was the last time that I skied in October since they changed their policy to top to bottom skiing only. 1000 skiers a day with uploading and downloading would be a disaster and is unrealistic.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
That's it. Now we're definitely jinxed, and they won't open on or before the 10th.......thanks alout Andy... :roll:

Seriously, welcome aboard. Will you have the helmet cam?

My track record on early season Killington plans sucks. Notice my first sentence in this thread... It's all my fault! ;)

Just want this noted so that I don't get blamed for jinxing this.

This is a big reason why I like AZ.

Like you too!

loafer89

Is Sunday River in the meeting plan as an alternative to K-Mart next week?. It's a long haul for skiing, but at least they are making snow down to the base.

It's only a 4 1/2 hour drive for me:roll:

Greg

Staff member
In October of 1997 Killington tried something new and opened top to bottom with Header on Rams Head. I skied Killington October 26-27th of that year.

In October of 1998 Killington used the K-1 and a truck up and down Goat Path to the snow on Rime.

October of 1998 was the last time that I skied in October since they changed their policy to top to bottom skiing only. 1000 skiers a day with uploading and downloading would be a disaster and is unrealistic.
Those days are over. You can thank this sue-happy society for that. Toooooo much liability.

I'd consider Sunday River, but it would depend on how much terrain they have opened.
Likewise. Does anybody know what the usual opening day terrain consists of? I might be down for SR on 11/10.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Those days are over. You can thank this sue-happy society for that. Toooooo much liability.

Hold your horses there, chief. AZ General Counsel here will say that it is not about liability. In fact, I have not seen anything suggesting that.

What has changed is the weather and, we've been dancing around it, the climate. What has also changed is the economics and demand. K-mart does not have as much $$$ to invest or lose if the weather goes south. It also appears that the demand at Killington has grown to the point where they can't accomodate folks with anything but top-to-bottom, and even then it is tough. I've skied top to bottom in early season and boy, there are a lot of folks for one run!

loafer89

I would be down for a visit to Sunday River on 11/7 if they are opened. NOAA forecast for Bethel right now is for rain 11/7 - 11/10:flame: :smash: :uzi:

Greg

Staff member
Hold your horses there, chief. AZ General Counsel here will say that it is not about liability. In fact, I have not seen anything suggesting that.
You cannot legally ride in the back of a pickup truck anymore. Tom indicated during our phone call that downloading with the current lift configuration is not feasible partly due to insurance/liability concerns.

What has changed is the weather and, we've been dancing around it, the climate.
Global warming is to blame? :lol: I would be interested to see how the last two weeks of October 2006 compared to the average.

What has also changed is the economics and demand. K-mart does not have as much $$$ to invest or lose if the weather goes south. It also appears that the demand at Killington has grown to the point where they can't accomodate folks with anything but top-to-bottom, and even then it is tough. I've skied top to bottom in early season and boy, there are a lot of folks for one run!
Well, they have the budget for it, but the risk of loosing coverage is not worth chancing. If the outlook next week remained cold, they would be open. Your demand point is probably spot on.

Beating a dead horse, but I thought this image someone posted on K-zone was very interesting:

summit_poma.jpg

Based on that, the hike back up to the K1 from the Glades area is roughly 400 linear feet. Certainly navigable for any "expert" skier...

loafer89

I did the truck for quite a few seasons and I must admitt that I felt unsafe quite a few times standing up in the back of an open truck holding on to my ski's and poles while trying to keep my balance on a bouncing truck.

Okemo used one of their shuttle buses to get you to the base of the Northstar Express back in the 90's, but they have Lower Mountain Road to drive up which is gentle.

If Sunday River does open by 11/7 I will go, but I do not want to drive up later in the week if it is raining. If anyone wants to tag along from Northern Connecticut please let me know.

Greg

Staff member
Not sure if I want to smile or cry:

[POST="119694"]K Snowmaking[/POST]

thetrailboss

Staff member
You cannot legally ride in the back of a pickup truck anymore. Tom indicated during our phone call that downloading with the current lift configuration is not feasible partly due to insurance/liability concerns.

Fair enough. Based on what I had seen and heard, this reasoning had not come forward. Now it has. I think the thrust of their concern is the shear volume of skiers and riders who would come.

Global warming is to blame? :lol: I would be interested to see how the last two weeks of October 2006 compared to the average.

Greg, I know how you feel about this. But there has been article after article regarding how things have changed in our neck of the woods regarding climate. In fact, the Portland Press Herald ran an article on this very point (New England Winter Recreation and long term snowpack forecasts) in early October and concluded that global warming WAS to blame for the changes. If Global Warming wasn't an issue, then why is the industry running THIS campaign???

Well, they have the budget for it, but the risk of loosing coverage is not worth chancing. If the outlook next week remained cold, they would be open. Your demand point is probably spot on.

Yep.

Beating a dead horse, but I thought this image someone posted on K-zone was very interesting:

summit_poma.jpg

Based on that, the hike back up to the K1 from the Glades area is roughly 400 linear feet. Certainly navigable for any "expert" skier...

I see no image. :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Fair enough. Based on what I had seen and heard, this reasoning had not come forward. Now it has. I think the thrust of their concern is the shear volume of skiers and riders who would come.
I should clarify that this is not the only concern. It seems wasted snowmaking was the biggest issue. Different methods for downloading were discussed so if they can come up with some way to do it safely, maybe they will.

Greg, I know how you feel about this. But there has been article after article regarding how things have changed in our neck of the woods regarding climate. In fact, the Portland Press Herald ran an article on this very point (New England Winter Recreation and long term snowpack forecasts) in early October and concluded that global warming WAS to blame for the changes. If Global Warming wasn't an issue, then why is the industry running THIS campaign???
This really isn't a global warming debate though. We're looking at a window right now for some decent round-the-clock snowmaking. The warm-up next week is the issue. If you want to point to global warming said warm-up, how do you explain the current cold spell and the cool weather the past few weeks? I'm surprised GW even came up here...

Anyway, I've moved beyond the shock, denial, and the anger and sadness stages. I'm in "wait and see" and "whatever" mode. Let's just see what happens...

thetrailboss

Staff member
This really isn't a global warming debate though. We're looking at a window right now for some decent round-the-clock snowmaking. The warm-up next week is the issue. If you want to point to global warming said warm-up, how do you explain the current cold spell and the cool weather the past few weeks? I'm surprised GW even came up here...

What is at stake are the patterns that come as a result of the climate. As one Killington Source put it (in here I think too)...they've seen patterns that are odd and not the norm. We usually have a gradually cool down...not periods of warm and cold like this. That was what I was driving at..the changes in pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.