• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nys

o3jeff

Took me 3 tries to quit, my problem was I really didn't want to the first 2 times I tried so you have to have it in your head that you really want to quit before you even try.

Now whenever I smell smoke all over a person and their clothes, I think it smells disgusting and wondered why I did it for so long.

jack97

Now whenever I smell smoke all over a person and their clothes, I think it smells disgusting and wondered why I did it for so long.

Hmm.... I don't feel that way. For me, old smoke and second hand smoke is still a pleasant smell. The only thing stopping me is that I don't' want to be a tool to the tobacco industry.

The amount of taxes that are paid on smokes more than offsets the increase in healthcare, Off course I have no info to back that up but I dont think I am off in my thinking.
Weed should be legal and they could tax the heck out of it and get off the tobacco bandwagon.

Along your line of thinking fat people should be taxed. That fatter you are the more tax you should pay. Pay up fatso

Hell yeah..legalize weed and let the governement tax it..and can't you guys grow your own tobacco???

I'm no pot head, but I don't think that the smoke from weed has the same carcinogens like cigarette smoke (though I could be wrong).

Maybe someone from the Grateful Dead thread could chime in on this point?

The difference is that a couple puffs of good weed will get you stoned for a couple hours..while most cig smokers need to smoke a cig every hour all day long for the slightest buzz..plus you can always eat weed brownies which is better on the lungs but requires more weed..

dmc

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

2knees

Naw, I willing to bet he can't lap flying goose, top to bottom. :wink:

I love a challenge. I'll take you on, ttb, on flying goose. If i win, you have to buy me a carton of cigarettes! :razz:

as far as keeping up with these guys, i can assure you, i'm not holding anyone back on a bump run.

dmc

Quit close to 15 years ago... maybe more..

just decided i wanted to... and did...

dmc

Hmm.... I don't feel that way. For me, old smoke and second hand smoke is still a pleasant smell. The only thing stopping me is that I don't' want to be a tool to the tobacco industry.

After NY and NJ banned smoking at bars... I clean my drumset a LOT less...
Damn thing would be caked with smoke after a gig...

jack97

I love a challenge. I'll take you on, ttb, on flying goose. If i win, you have to buy me a carton of cigarettes! :razz:

Got to lap it a few times to get a good workout.

Carton of cig, three times ttb. If you lose, you buy me beer and we can split a pack. Damn I miss having a beer with a smoke in a dark lounge.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
To be honest with you, I could care less about upping the cigarette tax. I made the decision a long time ago that it was not in my economic and health interest to take up smoking.

The lottery, on the other hand, is worth throwing a couple of bucks down every once in a while . . . If only for the couple of days spent dreaming about what I'd do with the money.

Like I said, I don't mind taxing cigarettes to the brink . . . But if they raise the taxes on alcohol . . . THEN we have a problem.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Like I said, I don't mind taxing cigarettes to the brink . . . But if they raise the taxes on alcohol . . . THEN we have a problem.

Don't move to Maine and if you ski in Maine, buy your booze out of state. They just boosted the tax on beer, wine and soda considerably

tjf67

Ok

I here american tobacco smokes are better for you because the only thing it contains is tobacco. That being said how are the brand name makers allowed to put all the deadly crap into them?
They don't use lead in paint anymore

What about Chew..like Skoal and Copenhagen. When I lived in Montana..2 out of three of my roommates chewed and I got curious and bummed some chew off of them..and it's gross..yet I get pretty blunted off chew..plus it makes you crap..which means...bathroom reading..If Dr. Jeff reads this..I know he'll mention the ill effects of chewing Tobacco..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I here american tobacco smokes are better for you because the only thing it contains is tobacco. That being said how are the brand name makers allowed to put all the deadly crap into them?

You might want to ask soda manufacturers the same thing or your deodorant company. There are NUMEROUS products out there that people ingest everyday that contain known carcinogens or unhealthy additives.

Cigarettes manufacturers are the biggest culprits for sure; but there are many others products in a multitude of applications that are dangerous.

drjeff

What about Chew..like Skoal and Copenhagen. When I lived in Montana..2 out of three of my roommates chewed and I got curious and bummed some chew off of them..and it's gross..yet I get pretty blunted off chew..plus it makes you crap..which means...bathroom reading..If Dr. Jeff reads this..I know he'll mention the ill effects of chewing Tobacco..

Since you asked GSS, here's a photo of a long term dipper and his nice case of squamous cell carcinoma :eek:

art-sm467065.fig2.jpg

The *good* thing about dipping is that the changes that happen to the gum/soft tissue are typically self healing with no significant increase in long term cancer risk as long as you quit early enough BEFORE the cellular changes go from a reversible process(pre cancerous) to irreversible (cancerous). If quitting isn't your thing, well then a surgical radicle neck disscetion with removal of a portion of your lower jaw, thenlikely radiation and chemotherapy are always an option:eek: (i'll refrain from pics of this ;) )

So far I've diagnosed 3 cases of oral cancer in my 13 years of looking in peoples mouths. That's never a fun conversation to have with a patient

Warp Daddy

ARGHH here we go again : DOING THE BREAKFAST THING while lookin at this stuff The last couple 'o days makes me want to "shoot rainbows " :D

drjeff

ARGHH here we go again : DOING THE BREAKFAST THING while lookin at this stuff The last couple 'o days makes me want to "shoot rainbows " :D

Hey, atleast I refrained from posting the surgical pictures of what needs to be done to get rid of one of those lesions! ;) :LOL:

jack97

Very little or no regulation.....there's a reason why some of the tobacco lobbyist were one of the strongest groups in DC. They traditionally supported candidates that philosophically wants small government and deregulation.