• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Year round beer or seasonal beer changes???

drjeff

Okay, what's everyone preference?? Does your beer change with the seasons, or are you the same one year round???

Me personally, I tend to change with the seasons. I like a "lighter" yellow pilsner/lager in the warm weather months, tend to goto a amber ale/lager in the fall, and a dark ale/stout in the winter.

Warm weather I also tend to enjoy a beer with some fruit undertones and winter I tend to prefer a beer with more of a smokey/earthy/woody undertone.

The only "constant" in my year round beer drinking is that I enjoy them REAL COLD no matter what the season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't really drink much beer....more of wine guy and that changes with the season. Summer time I drink mainly white wine unless a food dish is best paired with red, winter time mainly red wine unless a food dish is best paired with white.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I wish seasonals were year round. Specifically, fall and winter beers. I don't get into the whole lighter beer during the summer thing. Just because it is warm out doesn't mean I want a beer that tastes worse than what I drink when it is cold. Having trouble finding Double Bag right now because local package stores have replaced darker brews with lighter seasons on shelf. That's crap.

An amazing thing happened to me two weeks ago. I picked up my old stand by of Harpoon IPA only to drink a bottle and think it was light tasting. Mind blowing stuff. You start drinking 8-10% ABV and even a quality beer like Harpoon IPA tastes light and watery.

I've yet to find a 'summer seasonal' that tastes very good so I stick with my usual's and stock up on my darker seasonals when I can.

Sky

I'm not a fan of the winter beers.

If all I had access to was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...I'd be happy.

I like Long Trail, Sam, Tuckerman's Pale Ale...I'm sure there are others.

However, I recently had a UFO and liked it with the lemon...Maybe because it's a wheat beer. So maybe the summer beers with their lemon flavorings are due for a review.

edit for Alzheimer's...Stella Artois has a place in my cooler on a regular basis.

....but all definitley prefered cold.

Last edited:

MR. evil

I am a Sam Adams Boston Lager guy most of the year except for the spring. Thats when Sam White comes out and I love that stuff. My favorite beer bar none:beer:

mondeo

Sam Lager is always a good choice, but I do like different beers for different seasons. More significant is what I'm eating while I'm drinking it. Barbecues call for Magic Hat #9. Steaks, salmon, things like that with a good strong flavor call for a ales. Pizza is good with a good IPA.

TheBEast

Berkshire Brewing Company (BBC) Berkshire Ale year-round, Shabadoo in the winter. Long Trail year-round and a lot of Corona in the summer.

wa-loaf

I'm pretty much happy with a Guinness any time of the year. Otherwise I generally like any local ale that's available. Some of the summer ales are good, but I don't like any of the spicy fall and winter ales. Nutmeg and pumpkin flavors? :puke: In bavarian beer gardens they serve radlers in the summer that really hit the spot when it's hot. It's a mix of the local lager and lemonade. (kind of like a shandy?)

MR. evil

Berkshire Brewing Company (BBC) Berkshire Ale year-round, .

Years ago the son of one of the owners of BBC trained in the childrens class at a Martial arts club I help run. Once we found out who he was and what he did we arranged that he pay his sons monthly dues in Beer:beer:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I just go with whatever I find interesting at the time. Though one of my all-time favorites (Woodstock Station Autumn Brew) is a seasonal.... and hard to get for me since we tend not to go up to NH in the fall anymore. :(

Except for Guinness..I drink less and less dark beer as I get older..this summer I've been all about Sam Adams summer...Magic Hat #9...and this past week I drank alot of...gasp...Corona..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've never really understood people's love of Magic Hat #9. It kind of falls in the category of flavored coffee.

I like coffee flavored coffee and I like beer flavored beer. Can't stand 'fruity' beers :puke:

bvibert

Staff member
I nurse the same bottle of beer for about a year, so no seasonal changes for me.

Greg

Staff member
Re: Magic Hat #9 - I like it, but it's got to be cold.

I've been drinking a lot of shwag beer lately, mostly Miller Lite or Bud Light. Again, gotta be ice cold. My favorite beer is just about any good IPA. Could drink that all year. I don't drink much wine anymore (sneaks up on me too quick, and then it's too late) but when I do drink wine, it's usually merlot and in the colder months. I'll drink vodka all year, and sometimes sip on rum in the winter.

Paul

Re: Magic Hat #9 - I like it, but it's got to be cold.

I've been drinking a lot of shwag beer lately, mostly Miller Lite or Bud Light. Again, gotta be ice cold. My favorite beer is just about any good IPA. Could drink that all year. I don't drink much wine anymore (sneaks up on me too quick, and then it's too late) but when I do drink wine, it's usually merlot and in the colder months. I'll drink vodka all year, and sometimes sip on rum in the winter.

0303sideways.jpg

I AM NOT DRINKING ANY F$%#ING MERLOT!!!!!!

Me personally, I tend to change with the seasons. I like a "lighter" yellow pilsner/lager in the warm weather months, tend to goto a amber ale/lager in the fall, and a dark ale/stout in the winter.

Warm weather I also tend to enjoy a beer with some fruit undertones and winter I tend to prefer a beer with more of a smokey/earthy/woody undertone.

more of wine guy and that changes with the season. Summer time I drink mainly white wine unless a food dish is best paired with red, winter time mainly red wine unless a food dish is best paired with white.

This, that and those....