• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SR night skiing op plan announced

Mildcat

That's good to know that if I can't get up early enough on Friday to make it up there I can still leave late and ski into the evening.

Hey Bob, is there a common consensus among condo owners on this? I read about some owners worried about crowds, lights, noise and illegal parking. I was wondering if this is a vocal minority.

Vortex

YA a few of the owners voiced some displeasure.

I wrote the town an e-mail. It was read in one of the meetings. Thaller1 did that as well. I supported it as did t. Don't want to look for it, but they were both mention in the the Bethel citizen a while back. I sent an approval vote to my condo association.

I have not heard anything negitive in a while. I believe Boyne/SR tried to make it work for all parties.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is great news for the condo owners / visiting over night skiers. I especially like if I'm reading it correctly that a day pass will be valid into the evening. I wonder if they'll eventually try and get a tubing operation going or some other activities for the evenings. I'd imagine with this all going on, White Cap base lodge will become a ghost town after the lifts close.

SundayRiver Yeti

I'm not an expert, but as I read it you can buy a traditional day pass, or a 12 hour pass, or an evening only pass.

I can't wait, night skiing is fun.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
$45 for an evening-only ticket, but only a $2 difference between a day-only and a day+evening ticket. Bizarre.

If it was $20 for Friday evening if I'm skiing there for the rest of the weekend I'd take them up on it. But for $45 I'll just hang at the condo or hotel with a few beers and the TV remote.

Good for them!!!! I grew up thinking resorts with 100 percent of it's trails lit for night skiing was the norm. Blue mountain has always been open 8:30AM-10:00PM on weekdays and 7:30AM-10:00PM on weekends and Holidays. For people staying at Sunday River..having the option to make some night turns is a great thing..and tracking up the powder during an evening snowstorm is MSY.

danny p

awesome news! night skiing is sweet! If I was closer I'd be all over that.

Geoff

In my opinion, Sunday River will run their night skiing experiment for a couple of years, take a hard look at the books, and decide that they're losing money on it. Night skiing only makes sense where you have a large population base that wants to sneak out after work for a few hours or to participate in a beer league. This experiment has been tried before many times at other resorts and has always failed.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
I like the idea, especially since SR won't be having it every night. Pretty much when there's enough skiers and riders to make it worthwhile. Hopefully I will participate one or two Fridays this season!

millerm277

SR still has a tubing area, lit at night, over by White Cap lodge.

Actually, SR's tubing area is pretty much the only one I would actually visit more than once. It's pretty neat, rather than a straight run like most areas, it's either a series of large banked turns, or there's a long curving run (I think it dumps out on the end of Roadrunner?). At least, that's how it was when I did it in 2004 or 2005.

SundayRiver Yeti

Actually, SR's tubing area is pretty much the only one I would actually visit more than once. It's pretty neat, rather than a straight run like most areas, it's either a series of large banked turns, or there's a long curving run (I think it dumps out on the end of Roadrunner?). At least, that's how it was when I did it in 2004 or 2005.

Sounds like fun, we will try it out this year.

As for the night skiing prices, I would be much happier with $35 rather than $45.