• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Driven: 2010 Subaru Legacy, the car Subaru needs...

campgottagopee

Either way, they need a damn wagon. ;)

Subaru stopped making wagons just when people are coming back to them. I will be the first to say that a manufacture can make to many variations, hell when the Legacy was introduced in 90, there were 37, yes 37 variations of JUST the Legacy. I never saw the need for teh OB sedan, the SUS was a test for Subaru of New England back in the mid 90's then it did catch on, but honestly, I thought it was an answer to a question that was never asked. All I am asking for is a regular wagon, preferably in an Impreza vs. the new "supersized" Legacy, at least that car already exists, it is just a matter of bringing over here.

You ain't just kiddin on that one----you should see the orderable combinations now, geeeeezus!!!! A wagon is needed in Subies line up for sure and I hope it comes back soon. They need to punt the idea of coming back with FWD cars and bring back the wagon and re-do the Baja on the Tribeca platform.

Philpug

You ain't just kiddin on that one----you should see the orderable combinations now, geeeeezus!!!! A wagon is needed in Subies line up for sure and I hope it comes back soon. They need to punt the idea of coming back with FWD cars and bring back the wagon and re-do the Baja on the Tribeca platform.

LOL..If "I" ran Subaru......

campgottagopee

Why do people think the Baja was such a dud?

Great question, one I don't have an ansewr to. Yes it was a VERY niche car but here we sold a good number of those cars on a monthly basis. If we're lucky enough to have a pre-owned one for sale the car never lasts long at all. Actually my dad bought one w/ a turbo and still to this day loves the darn thing.

Philpug

Great question, one I don't have an ansewr to. Yes it was a VERY niche car but here we sold a good number of those cars on a monthly basis. If we're lucky enough to have a pre-owned one for sale the car never lasts long at all. Actually my dad bought one w/ a turbo and still to this day loves the darn thing.

Like the SVX, Impreza RS Coupe and Brat, it was a more desirable car used than it was new.

Edd

Philplug, I get the feeling you're not entirely pleased with your 09 Forester. If so, why?

I agree with the size complaints about the new Impreza hatchback. When you pop the hatch open it's striking how high the cargo floor is, providing even less room than I feared. A result, I assume, of the cargo area virtually sitting atop the rear axle. The cargo area on my Legacy wagon seems at least double the volume.

skijay

Subaru selling FWD cars here? Do you think that idea would catch on? I like to look back at the demise of Saturn. When introduced they had the polymer body panels - great idea. In 2000 they introduced their bigger Lemon series sedan ( I mean L-series sedan) with the rear quarter panels being steel. A lot of Saturn fans did not like it, including myself. I owned one of those dreaded Lemon Series until Saturn bought it back under the Lemon Law. The polymer panels were one thing that makes a Saturn a Saturn sort of like AWD makes a Subi a Subi.

I highly doubt I would have purchased a Subaru Forester if it was FWD only or an Impreza in FWD only. They would have to use a transverse mounted engine and I do not think the boxer engine can be mounted that way. The reason why I say that is the way the engine & tranny sit now does suck up leg room up front and even a Toyota Yaris has more leg room up front.

campgottagopee

Subaru selling FWD cars here? Do you think that idea would catch on? I like to look back at the demise of Saturn. When introduced they had the polymer body panels - great idea. In 2000 they introduced their bigger Lemon series sedan ( I mean L-series sedan) with the rear quarter panels being steel. A lot of Saturn fans did not like it, including myself. I owned one of those dreaded Lemon Series until Saturn bought it back under the Lemon Law. The polymer panels were one thing that makes a Saturn a Saturn sort of like AWD makes a Subi a Subi.

I highly doubt I would have purchased a Subaru Forester if it was FWD only or an Impreza in FWD only. They would have to use a transverse mounted engine and I do not think the boxer engine can be mounted that way. The reason why I say that is the way the engine & tranny sit now does suck up leg room up front and even a Toyota Yaris has more leg room up front.

Subie used to offer FWD cars not that long ago......I really doubt/hope they'll go back

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think I remember a friend back in College having a Subie wagon that 4WD. Thought it was a push button to 4WD from FWD.

Philpug

Philplug, I get the feeling you're not entirely pleased with your 09 Forester. If so, why?

I agree with the size complaints about the new Impreza hatchback. When you pop the hatch open it's striking how high the cargo floor is, providing even less room than I feared. A result, I assume, of the cargo area virtually sitting atop the rear axle. The cargo area on my Legacy wagon seems at least double the volume.

There is nothing "wrong" with the new Forester, I just prefer a wagon over a SUV. I had an 06 Leg SW that I went from to the Forester and I miss the low CG of a car. I will say the interior materials of the new generation Subarus have taken a sever drop in quality in feel and texture, even the 10 Legacy.

skijay

Philpug...Do you ever get complaints from anybody 6 feet tall sitting in the passenger seat of your Forester due to the uncomfortable seat cushion angle and lack of leg room?

bvibert

Staff member

They wouldn't need to switch to a transverse engine. As mentioned above they've sold FWD models in the past, I guy I went to high school with had an 80's subbie that was FWD with no transverse engine. All they need is a different tranny without the output to the rear, unless they have some weird configuration that I'm not aware of. There's other cars that are FWD and don't use a transverse engine, like my Passat.

That said I think it would be a bad idea for them to start selling FWD cars in the states. A big part of their identity here is their AWD. Heck we used to bust my buddies stones in high school for not having AWD in his subbie and that was like 15 years ago.

Philpug

Philpug...Do you ever get complaints from anybody 6 feet tall sitting in the passenger seat of your Forester due to the uncomfortable seat cushion angle and lack of leg room?

The pass seat is too low. Period. More complaints from short people who cannot see out. The seat needs top be higher.

mondeo

I don't hate them. My mom and sister have both driven them since the 1970's. I personally don't like the cramped feel of most Japanese interiors. Every time I test drive most Japanese cars, I conclude that I wouldn't want to make a 5 hour drive in it. Europeans tend to design their interiors for taller people.
You're taller than me (I'm 5'10",) but I've got tons of head room in my Impreza, much more than a few similar market American cars I've driven. Feels narrow, but I wouldn't think height would be an issue.

Regarding usability of the hatch, it has fold down rear seats. Automatic win in that department over my car.