• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RiverC0il Goes for a Test Drive: CT 200h, JSW TDI, Mazda3, & Elantra

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
The SD/Media player is complete and total rubbish. I can't handle big SD cards (I think 8 or 16 is the limit, I wasted money buying a 32 without reading the fine print) and sorting isn't great. Very surprising this isn't better quality in this day and age.

I am surprised it isn't better! I have a new VAG Product and the media card player is awesome. Mine does take a 32 and it sorts just like it does on your PC. In fact, I was thinking how the media pLayer is so good, that it really obviscates the need for the ipod connector.

Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

MR. evil

Curious why the Golf over the Jetta. Was there a substantial difference in price? I seem to recall part of the reason of wanting a new car was you wanted more space than what you had in your Accord Coupe. Speaking of which, is the Coupe for sale? :lol:

The Accord Coupe was a great car and had plenty of space. The 2 drs and the gas mileage were the main reasons for getting rid of it. It got high 20's city low 30's highway which isn't too bad for a 3.5 liter V6.

The Jetta wasn't ever really on the radar. Early on we decided that we wanted to get a small 5 door hatch back. I am also not a huge fan of the Jetta's looks, plus IMO the Golf handles much better. After testing most of the same cars the Rivercoil, he narrowed it down to the Mazda 3 hatch and the Golf TDI. The won out due to better mileage & better ride / handling. I also really like the Torquey feel of the Golfs 2.0 liter turbo deisel over the Mazadas 2.5 liter gas engine.

My commute is 25 miles each way, half back country roads and half in the car pool lane on I-91 with only a small handful of lights and stop signs the entire way. It's the perfect driving situation to get really great milage with the TDI.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Gotcha

We have a 2004 Mazda3 Hatch that we really enjoy, but the mileage isn't all that great. I actually get better mileage out of my Hyundai Sonata with a V6. The new Skyactive 3 is a compelling eventual replacement with its 40mpg, but you sacrifice some horses to get to that figure. So, a Golf TDI would be on our radar as well as I assume and you confirm that its performs a bit better. Another factor weighing against the Mazda is I don't believe you can get a Skyactive drive train with MT and a sunroof. The wife HAS to have a sunroof. :smash:

Geoff

my wife HAS to have heated seats so... count yourself lucky. Riv's VW has one of the nicer sunroof out there BTW ;)

Deal-killers for me are now a pretty long list. Heated seats, outside air temp, sunroof, Xenons. It's one of those things that once you've had a car with the feature, it's tough to give it up.

I wish you could get all cars with the Ford keyless combination lock on the drivers door frame. I love that for skiing since I just lock my keys in the car and press the combination when I'm done skiing to unlock the car. That's almost a deal killer, too.

Geoff

Yea, I attribute my recent MPG jump not just to regular diesel but also to the warmer weather. It is astounding how much MPG drops off when taking short trips in the winter during which the car barely warms up during the trip.

Drove to Boston last night to see Les Mis and for kicks I tried to average around 60 MPH or so. Computer shows 50 MPG (actually was closer to 51.5 on the way down and those numbers are both counting a few minutes of city driving) both ways which is more likely 48 real MPG or so. So Prius like MPG is possible even on the hghway if you drive just a little under the limit and really work the accelerator with the topography.

Are we allowed to start making "smug hypermiler" jokes yet? We all knew your OCD about miles per gallon was going to happen. The first step in recovery is to admit you have a problem. :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wish you could get all cars with the Ford keyless combination lock on the drivers door frame. I love that for skiing since I just lock my keys in the car and press the combination when I'm done skiing to unlock the car. That's almost a deal killer, too.

+1

Why more car companies don't offer it is a mystery to me. I know Nissan used to many moons ago on the Maxima.

It's great for skiing, but even better for the beach.

ctenidae

Deal-killers for me are now a pretty long list.

Primary deal killer for me is a manual transmission. usually everythign else I might want is available as an option.

Amazing how small the selection is if you start at "Must have stick."

hammer

Deal-killers for me are now a pretty long list. Heated seats, outside air temp, sunroof, Xenons. It's one of those things that once you've had a car with the feature, it's tough to give it up.

What I like even better is the key fob proximity sensor...with key fob in pocket just touching a front door handle unlocks the door.

Or even better is the remote start that turns on the seat heaters and defrosters when it's cold out...

Just wish the rest of the vehicle was holding up as well...poor 1YO Jeep is in the shop for the third time in a month. :-(

deadheadskier

Staff member
the key fob proximity sensor is cool, but.........you still have to hold onto a key.

The push button code allows you to leave your keys in your vehicle, which is excellent for the beach, hiking, skiing, etc.

hammer

the key fob proximity sensor is cool, but.........you still have to hold onto a key.

The push button code allows you to leave your keys in your vehicle, which is excellent for the beach, hiking, skiing, etc.
Good point...never considered that. Wonder why the push button code didn't end up being standard in more vehicles then.

Geoff

Good point...never considered that. Wonder why the push button code didn't end up being standard in more vehicles then.

I love the combination lock on the door. It engages a 5 minute interlock if you screw it up a few times in a row so nobody is going to guess it.

I had always assumed that Ford had a patent on it but it must have expired by now.

I just found a Ford product that looks like it glues to your door and transmits a key fob RF code when you type in your combination. No idea which cars have compatible key fobs.

http://accessories.ford.com/keyless-entry-keypad.html

bvibert

Staff member
No idea which cars have compatible key fobs.

There's a "View Compatible Vehicles" link:
Compatible with: E-Series 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Edge 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Escape Hybrid 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Escape 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Expedition 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Explorer 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
F-150 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Fiesta 2011 2012 2013
Focus 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Fusion 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Mustang 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Ranger 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Sport Trac 2007 2008 2009 2010
Super Duty 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Transit Connect 2010 2011 2012 2013

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Are we allowed to start making "smug hypermiler" jokes yet? We all knew your OCD about miles per gallon was going to happen. The first step in recovery is to admit you have a problem. :)
I can be really into good MPG without being a hypermiler. Many hypermiler techniques are dangerous or illegal. FWIW, I actually usually am over the speed limit by at least 5 MPH on back roads, often times as much as 10-15 MPH over the limit. Hypermilers don't do that.

Geoff

I can be really into good MPG without being a hypermiler. Many hypermiler techniques are dangerous or illegal. FWIW, I actually usually am over the speed limit by at least 5 MPH on back roads, often times as much as 10-15 MPH over the limit. Hypermilers don't do that.

Thank god you didn't buy a Toyota Pious :)

ctenidae

Just turned in my C300 that goes off lease next week. Sad to see it go, since it was a pretty good car, but not that sad. It was starting to show some of that legendary Mercedes build quality, with steadily increasing shakes, rattles, and squeaks.

Glenn

What I like even better is the key fob proximity sensor...with key fob in pocket just touching a front door handle unlocks the door.

Or even better is the remote start that turns on the seat heaters and defrosters when it's cold out...

Just wish the rest of the vehicle was holding up as well...poor 1YO Jeep is in the shop for the third time in a month. :-(

That's a bummer. What's it been in for? I'm looking into a WK2 down the road as a replacement for my WJ.