• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will New England See a New Ski Area In the Next 20 Years?

skiNEwhere

How about Katahdin while we're at it? haha. I know that will NEVER happen and I am definitely okay with that. It is a great range though!

Hah! Good luck. I don't think you can even snowmobile within like 10 miles of it. The meatheads skied it in one of their films and they were saying that

steamboat1

The areas that we now think of as "big" (i.e,. Stowe, Killington, Sugarloaf, etc.) started out tiny in a much different era. They've grown to the size they are through decades of expansions, and they are now famous among New England skiers.

Killington has actually shrunk in size compared to what it once was. They've eliminated the whole Northeast Passage area, removed the Devils Fiddle & Southridge chairs. They also shortened the length of the Ramshead chair eliminating all the trails off the summit. There are plans however to replace the South Ridge chair but this will be the second season without one.

Compared to how it started however it is still huge.

8249039115_f6fbf564ab_h.jpg

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Hah! Good luck. I don't think you can even snowmobile within like 10 miles of it. The meatheads skied it in one of their films and they were saying that

I have skied it multiple times. It is one of the best backcountry experiences someone have. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for an adventure.

millerm277

I don't think you will unless we start experiencing significant growth in skier visits.

MadMadWorld

That picture is taken from Little Bigelow of the south side of West and Avery Peaks. The plan for the ski area involved the other (north) side of the mountain, I believe, which is less steep (awesome.) I think the voters of Maine got it right in the 70s in setting Bigelow Preserve aside and nixing development.

Looking at this aerial image, it seems a scar in the trees looking like a grown in liftline is visible (marked "A" and "B.") Was a line ever cut there, in addition to the lodge mentioned? Looks like it.

And to answer the OP, unfortunately no. Far too many regs and huge capital investment involved to get a project off the ground. Winters aren't getting any snowier, either.

48f35a9657a9c.jpg

This is a picture from the top of the scar on Bigelow that you referenced. That is one outdated snowmaking system. But damn that looks like fun steeps!

BeefyBoy50

The AT goes across Blue Mountain in PA and that didn't stop them... hahaha but it isn't exactly a mountain at that point

BeefyBoy50

South Ridge really needs to be replaced... essentially that entire trail pod was lost with the removal of that lift. Now since its gone, skiers get funneled and trapped at the Skye Peak Quad because that is the only way back to the main mountain. South Ridge will allow the trails to be skiied once again without taking the 2 most crowded lifts (Skye Peak + Killington Express) for each run, and it will also reduce congestion in the whole bear mountain area

Huck_It_Baby

Ski Valley in NY has been purchased and plans to re-open. From what I read they were planning on starting with 12 trails (with hopes to develop logging trails into ski trails, rebuilt lodge, snowmaking investments, new bar, winery, zip lines, longest tubing runs in NY, etc. I don't know where they are with development at this point but I don't think they have opened just yet.

Here is an article and another forum where the GM has chimed in about 8-9 posts down

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic18195

http://www.mpnnow.com/news/x2075766869/New-owner-reopening-long-shuttered-ski-resort

Watatic Skier

Regarding the Mahoosuc's East Baldpate probably has the most potential, 2,800 vertical, North Face, and vast above the treeline skiing. The majority of the bowl it sits in is still owned by logging companies, and the Logging terrain alone has almost 2000 vertical. Only issue is the Appalachian trail through the summit, however it's location wouldn't necessarily shut down any operations either.

ScottySkis

Ski Valley in NY has been purchased and plans to re-open. From what I read they were planning on starting with 12 trails (with hopes to develop logging trails into ski trails, rebuilt lodge, snowmaking investments, new bar, winery, zip lines, longest tubing runs in NY, etc. I don't know where they are with development at this point but I don't think they have opened just yet.

Here is an article and another forum where the GM has chimed in about 8-9 posts down

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic18195

http://www.mpnnow.com/news/x2075766869/New-owner-reopening-long-shuttered-ski-resort

Sent from my awesome mobile device.

Where is this place?

UVSHTSTRM

Well if you want to build a ski resort from scratch in the next 20 years, you better start the permit process now. Plum Creek in Maine took 10 years or more just to get approval to develope house lots and a couple Hotel/Resorts on Moosehead lake..........and they owned the land.

UVSHTSTRM

View attachment 6998

This is a picture from the top of the scar on Bigelow that you referenced. That is one outdated snowmaking system. But damn that looks like fun steeps!

I must be missing something, but what Bigelow are you talking about, the one in Maine? Last I checked Bigelow doesn't have snow guns, lifts and condo's. :lol:

goldsbar

Nope. Not in my lifetime. The industry is chugging along in neutral at best. Look at NELSAP to see how many ski areas have closed. The last reopening attempt I can remember is Bobcat in the Catskills. Think they lasted part of a year. BTW, that undeveloped mountain in the Catskills sounds like it would be epic for the region - bigger than Hunter, snowfall like Plattekill. Never happen.

In bad snow years many of the second tier destinations are uncrowded and they have to spend a ton on snowmaking. How can that be economically viable?

ScottySkis

Nope. Not in my lifetime. The industry is chugging along in neutral at best. Look at NELSAP to see how many ski areas have closed. The last reopening attempt I can remember is Bobcat in the Catskills. Think they lasted part of a year. BTW, that undeveloped mountain in the Catskills sounds like it would be epic for the region - bigger than Hunter, snowfall like Plattekill. Never happen.

In bad snow years many of the second tier destinations are uncrowded and they have to spend a ton on snowmaking. How can that be economically viable?

It was so close the financial backers were there with the $ then September 11 happen, Bearpen gets more snow then Platty.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

skiadikt

never to a new areas from scratch. best chance is for a nelsap area to reopen. ascutney is a good candidate. in the 'skills we skied at bobcat a couple times in the early 80's. love to see that reopen.

bigbog

My case is for Bigelow in Maine. It has more prominence and elevation than Saddleback and just behind Sugarloaf in both categories. It's in the same range as both of these mountains and just as accessible. When Maine was submitting proposals for the Olympics in the late 70s, Bigelow was considered for many events.

The Bigelows are a mini Range... they're already skiable. Once you go up and come down in every season...keeping it wild becomes more and more enjoyable in winter and with what Gnar has brought to the table.:spread: Same goes for Crocker Cirque....which needs lots of snow...but terrific with tough pitches....same goes for the Mt. Washington Valley...I don't think too many people would want a half dozen chairlifted and groomed resorts placed around the peaks with malls down below...

BTW...this reply lost the formatting of the original's text...when one opts to "Reply with Quote"....fwiw.

Last edited:
What about Kearsarge? I think it has 2000 plus vert. Was there ever a plan to develop anything there?

Also Greylock, imagine what a zoo that place would be now if they build the tram!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Killington has actually shrunk in size compared to what it once was. They've eliminated the whole Northeast Passage area, removed the Devils Fiddle & Southridge chairs. They also shortened the length of the Ramshead chair eliminating all the trails off the summit. There are plans however to replace the South Ridge chair but this will be the second season without one.

Compared to how it started however it is still huge.

View attachment 6997

Nice pic there steamboat! Look at how undeveloped it is. And to think that Pres and his guys cut those with their bare hands!