• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2013-14 Edition

dlague

dlague

Wound up costing me $199 to ski one day at Sugarbush last year because I got hurt.

Been there done that. We prepurchased two three packs to Burke at the Boston Ski and Snowboard show and my wife broke her shoulder on the first of three days. To add insult to injury - we also bough tickets to Sugarbush and Owls Head through Boston Deals which we never used that year either. Total cost was $310 for ten skier visits

However, we spoke to Buke and they gave us a couple of comp tickets for the following season and Boston Deals credited our account so we could repurchase lift ticket vouchers the following season. In the end we lost two visits out of ten! Technically the day she got injured was lost too since it was our first run!

But it never hurts to follow up with them to see if they will work something out!

steamboat1

But it never hurts to follow up with them to see if they will work something out!

Already did that. I could of have gotten tickets for others last year but I had to be there to get them. I wasn't going to ride to VT. sporting a hard cast up to my knee & walking on crutches. I contacted them a week or so ago to see if they could make some kind of adjustment if I purchased another quad pack this year, no dice.

edit: I'll more than make up for it though. I have a friend that works for the mountain on weekends. He gets me $30 employee discount tickets when I ski with him during the week (he skies free). Only reason I bought the quad pack last year is because he's not always available during the week (works other jobs).

Last edited:

steamboat1

You should have called their customer service I bet they would have given you a refund if you had.

Scotty read my post above. I contacted them last year & the only way they could be used is if I was there. Yes you can use the quad packs to get tickets for others but the person that bought the quad pack has to be there. The one ticket that I used last year they wanted to see my drivers license for proof of ID. Sugarbush is very strict about these things. They didn't offer me a refund even though I told them I got hurt & wouldn't be able to ski again last season. Even when I've used discounted ski club bulk tickets in the past they wanted to see a valid ski club membership card & it had to be dated showing you were a current member or have a current ski council sticker on the card. I also called them last week to see if they would give me a discount if I purchased another quad pack this year. I even got the call transferred to the head guy & he said no. I have no hard feelings towards Sugarbush because their policy is clearly stated on the purchase link.

FAQ

Q: Can I pick-up all four tickets on the same day and share them with my friends?
A: Yes, but your tickets are only valid on the day you pick them up. If you plan to use your tickets on multiple days, you must go to the ticket window and pick them up on the day you want to ski/ride.

Q: Can someone else pickup my Quad Pack tickets?
A: No. Not even if you send them with ID, or call it in first.

Q: I only used one of my Quad Pack tickets this season. Can I get a refund on 3? Can I transfer them to next year?
A: No.

Q: Can I gift a Quad Pack?
A: Yes, but you need to issue it to the person at time of purchase, and must know their date of birth and address.

Q: Can I get one ticket a day, for four days in a row?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I get one ticket a day, if they're non-consecutive days?
A: Yes.

Q: I'm going to be at Sugarbush for four consectuive days. Can you issue me a four day ticket so I don't have to go to the window daily?
A: No.

Q: How many Quad Packs may I buy?
A: You may purchase as many as you want, but may only issue two Quad Packs to each person. So you could buy yourself two, gift two to Jane, two to John, two to me, and so on. - See more at: http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-skiing-snowboarding/quad-pack#sthash.RvbDGLSY.dpuf

Last edited:

dlague

Scotty read my post above. I contacted them last year & the only way they could be used is if I was there. Yes you can use the quad packs to get tickets for others but the person that bought the quad pack has to be there. The one ticket that I used last year they wanted to see my drivers license for proof of ID. Sugarbush is very strict about these things. They didn't offer me a refund even though I told them I got hurt & wouldn't be able to ski again last season. Even when I've used discounted ski club bulk tickets in the past they wanted to see a valid ski club membership card & it had to be dated showing you were a current member or have a current ski council sticker on the card. I also called them last week to see if they would give me a discount if I purchased another quad pack this year. I even got the call transferred to the head guy & he said no.

I bought two 50% off vouchers from Boston Deals for Sugarbush and when my wife got injured I reached out to Boston Deals to get refunded and they told me to work it out with Sugarbush. Sugarbush wanted nothing to do with it - I purchased in advance for a specific season with no guarentees. Yes they are hard asses about this stuff. I ended up going back to Boston Deals becuase they said the deals are good for seven years (MA Law). They credited my account as mentioned earlier. BTW Sugarbush to Boston Deals that Vermont businesses are not subject to MA laws and told them they they were going to have to deal with it too!

Anyhow - get where you are coing from!

quiglam1

Go to the Warren Miller Movies. The Ski Resorts are usually there, giving out coupons and free lift tickets.

steamboat1

Getting back to refunds on pre-purchases. Last year I had a K midweek season pass. They offered an insurance policy if for any reason you couldn't use the pass. I didn't purchase the insurance last year but they still offered me a pro-rated refund anyway. As it wound up I wasn't eligible for a refund because I had already used the pass over 10 days. It was nice of them to offer though & to me that's good customer service.

This year I bought another midweek pass for K. At the time I purchased the pass they were offering the same insurance policy as the year before. I think it was 5% of the purchase price & I bought it, think it came out to a little more than $20. Last month K announced that their new policy was to offer the insurance policy at no cost to pass purchasers. I got a refund for what I had paid for insurance. That's even better customer service. Sugarbush could learn a thing or two from K.

dlague

I am amazed at how many people do not find this to be a good deal! Use it once and it is paid for anytime there after equals money in your pocket. Then again it probably does not fit well into pass holder plans but it can for side bar trips! We used it 14 times last year to the following mountains:

Pats Peak
Sugarbush
Burke
Ragged Mountain
Saddleback Mountain
Jay Peak
BoltonValley
Attitash
Wildcat
Mount Snow

ScottySkis

I am amazed at how many people do not find this to be a good deal! Use it once and it is paid for anytime there after equals money in your pocket. Then again it probably does not fit well into pass holder plans but it can for side bar trips! We used it 14 times last year to the following mountains:

Pats Peak
Sugarbush
Burke
Ragged Mountain
Saddleback Mountain
Jay Peak
BoltonValley
Attitash
Wildcat

Mount Snow
That is a great deal for 2 people.

dlague

That is a great deal for 2 people.

In our case 4-6 people. However, it works for odd numbers too! Approach anyone in a lift ticket line and ask if they would like to ski for half price - never had anyone decline! They walk away happy and you did your good deed for the day!

steamboat1

Approach anyone in a lift ticket line and ask if they would like to ski for half price - never had anyone decline!

I have. Had three 1/2 price coupons for K one time. We were trying to give them away (free). Approached a group & offered them the coupons, did I mention free. Guy said they couldn't use them because there were four in their group.

Smellytele

I have. Had three 1/2 price coupons for K one time. We were trying to give them away (free). Approached a group & offered them the coupons, did I mention free. Guy said they couldn't use them because there were four in their group.

I had the same thing happen but the people totally just ignored me like I was selling meth and begging for money to buy booze.

steamboat1

My friend & I just looked at eachother & shook our heads. Definitely candidates for the Darwin award.

dlague

I have to admit - people do look at you strange when you try to save them money. Hopefully I will be next to some one that has free - I will snatch that sh-- up in a heart beat and never look back except to thank them! People can be stupid!

steamboat1

I have to admit - people do look at you strange when you try to save them money. Hopefully I will be next to some one that has free - I will snatch that sh-- up in a heart beat and never look back except to thank them! People can be stupid!
Gave a guy with his two sons a free ticket for Whiteface one time. I had won two in a raffle & was only going to use one. Not only did the guy thank me but later that day he saw me in the base lodge & bought me lunch.