• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Ridge

Snowlover

are you going to ski it today?
No, I'm saving my money for later in the week at other ski area's that have a base and won't have to blow the fake stuff during/after this foot snowstorm coming.

I can just imagine the conditions at powder ridge as well. They were bare yesterday morning on trail to the top. If anyone goes, take a picture. I'm curious.

Snowlover

Why would anyone pay for one trail(at full price!) when you can get 100% open terrain at the other mountain in ct?

Snowlover

powderridgetoday.jpg
Here's the ridge today at 10am while it's 15 degrees. You can still see bare spots on left side of trail. Can someone explain to me why their not blowing snow? wtf? Full price for that? Boy are they lucky with got a storm coming.

Last edited:

Snowlover

There's not even any mounds of snow. How weak is their snowmaking system? That's unreal. Oh and they give no report on their website listing depth or anything.

Snowlover

Apparently the lift to top broke down today and they only had the bunny hill lift running and never bothered to tell anyone on the website.
Here was a lovely review of today posted by a guy on FB on powder ridge's page.

"I was very disappointed riding tonight, on many occasions I have given the benefit of the doubt with them and the conditions they have been dealing with. Now for my thoughts. Please oh please don't say 1/3 of the mountain is parks when the only one (which i will touch base on in a moment) is your hike jib park. This atrocity would be miles ahead of where it is now if it didn't have ride on lips. This makes it very known that whoever is in charge of upkeep on these boxes have no clue what they are doing. If the rest of your "parks" are going to be like this i can personally guarantee that no-one will go there to ride your parks after one day. I can say without a doubt that the mountain was run significantly better before when I worked there and look what happened to them. The only positive to tonight was that I got a full refund. Only wish they could have posted on their site that lift 2 was down and the only lift spinning was the bunny hill.

Please pick it up and learn how to run a mountain. I still have a shred of hope for you and really wish you can get this going because I truly miss The Ridge. "

I know nothing about parks so I have no idea what he's talking about. But the fact that a lift broke down and only the bunny hill was running and they didn't tell anyone sounds bad.

planb420

Apparently the lift to top broke down today and they only had the bunny hill lift running and never bothered to tell anyone on the website.
Here was a lovely review of today posted by a guy on FB on powder ridge's page.

"I was very disappointed riding tonight, on many occasions I have given the benefit of the doubt with them and the conditions they have been dealing with. Now for my thoughts. Please oh please don't say 1/3 of the mountain is parks when the only one (which i will touch base on in a moment) is your hike jib park. This atrocity would be miles ahead of where it is now if it didn't have ride on lips. This makes it very known that whoever is in charge of upkeep on these boxes have no clue what they are doing. If the rest of your "parks" are going to be like this i can personally guarantee that no-one will go there to ride your parks after one day. I can say without a doubt that the mountain was run significantly better before when I worked there and look what happened to them. The only positive to tonight was that I got a full refund. Only wish they could have posted on their site that lift 2 was down and the only lift spinning was the bunny hill.

Please pick it up and learn how to run a mountain. I still have a shred of hope for you and really wish you can get this going because I truly miss The Ridge. "

I know nothing about parks so I have no idea what he's talking about. But the fact that a lift broke down and only the bunny hill was running and they didn't tell anyone sounds bad.

LOL DRRRRRRR My kind of mountain sends its park guys to Cutters Camp....... :)

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
Some pictures from Wednesday... Conditions are fair at best... There isn't much if any snowmaking equipment on other trails from the top so it's doubtful they'll open more terrain.

IMG_20140102_205432.jpgIMG_20140102_205555.jpgIMG_20140102_205350.jpgIMG_20140102_205313.jpgIMG_20140102_205232.jpg

Snowlover

Thanks for the pics! You call that "fair"? I don't think another ski area in the area would open a trail in the type of condition I see in those pics. There's patches of DIRT all over the trail in the pics. It's hard enough to run a successful ski area in the area, but when you're running it like that....forget it. It has to improve drastically next year to have any chance at all of remaining open.

planb420

I'd also have to say that is QUITE THE STRETCH saying those are "FAIR" conditions. As far as the snow making goes, I can damn near guarantee they wont be snow making on anything else due to the "missing" parts in their snow making system. This is SHIT and not a good look for the entire state of CT as far as what it can provide for skier/boarders.....gotta say I kinda hope this guy loses his shirt on this one as it seemed like a half heated and half assed attempt to get this place up and running...with the motivating factor being the almighty dollar, contrary to what everyone else thinks. (Oh he is just trying to revive an old place for the CT residents...BS he is just looking for a Winter source of income while his hole in the ground is frozen over....SHAME ON PR. What they should have done is bought the place and set an projected opening date for the 2016 season and then if/when they finished early you look like a life saver and come up big rather than just trying to cram it all in one year and putting out a SHIT/UNFINISHED product and smearing your own name....thus hurting potential customer base once you actually do get your shit together. Word of mouth goes a long way in this industry, we all love to chat on the lift ride up with folks we dont know and what I can say is I STILL have not rode up on a lift with someone who had a single positive thing to say about this place. If I owned it I would be EXTREMELY conscious of what was being said about my mountain around the industry....basically long story short: POWDER RIDGE IS A JOKE THIS YEAR.....better off spending your money at Otis Ridge :daffy:

Snowlover

I'd also have to say that is QUITE THE STRETCH saying those are "FAIR" conditions. As far as the snow making goes, I can damn near guarantee they wont be snow making on anything else due to the "missing" parts in their snow making system. This is SHIT and not a good look for the entire state of CT as far as what it can provide for skier/boarders.....gotta say I kinda hope this guy loses his shirt on this one as it seemed like a half heated and half assed attempt to get this place up and running...with the motivating factor being the almighty dollar, contrary to what everyone else thinks. (Oh he is just trying to revive an old place for the CT residents...BS he is just looking for a Winter source of income while his hole in the ground is frozen over....SHAME ON PR. What they should have done is bought the place and set an projected opening date for the 2016 season and then if/when they finished early you look like a life saver and come up big rather than just trying to cram it all in one year and putting out a SHIT/UNFINISHED product and smearing your own name....thus hurting potential customer base once you actually do get your shit together. Word of mouth goes a long way in this industry, we all love to chat on the lift ride up with folks we dont know and what I can say is I STILL have not rode up on a lift with someone who had a single positive thing to say about this place. If I owned it I would be EXTREMELY conscious of what was being said about my mountain around the industry....basically long story short: POWDER RIDGE IS A JOKE THIS YEAR.....better off spending your money at Otis Ridge :daffy:
Couldn't have said it better. +1

Snowlover

They actually have missing parts in their snowmaking system? How do you know this?

How could a guy open a mountain like that? Completely insane. It's southern new england....three most important things....snowmaking gear, groomer, and lifts. It's not rocket science. You NEED that. It's like trying to run a indoor ice rink with a freezing system that doesn't work so the ice is melting and has holes in it. Isn't this guy busy building a restaurant? When his lifts/snowmaking gear doesn't work? Are you kidding me.

And to think the state gave this guy 1/2 a million. Would have been better off for the state to just buy the area and run it themselves. The area was sold for only 700k

planb420

They actually have missing parts in their snowmaking system? How do you know this?

How could a guy open a mountain like that? Completely insane. It's southern new england....three most important things....snowmaking gear, groomer, and lifts. It's not rocket science. You NEED that. It's like trying to run a indoor ice rink with a freezing system that doesn't work so the ice is melting and has holes in it.

And to think the state gave this guy 1/2 a million. Would have been better off for the state to just buy the area and run it themselves.

Simple: I KNOW PEOPLE!

People that have been inside their snow making shack.....people who WANT TO KNOW WHAT UP! Like any good reporter I will NEVER reveal my sources, its up to the individual to either believe or not. But what I can say is that if they dont have snow making equipment set up on any other trails that speak VOLUMES of their capability to make snow and lends some credibility to my reports.....they were also the same sources that told me it was NOT the state of CT holding up their lifts (PR is better at blowing smoke than snow), rather it was because they WERE NOT ready on THEIR end...piss poor mountain management