• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Ridge

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
No but it looks like they are giving refunds...

Owner Sean Hayes has dealt with delayed inspections, months without power and snow-making missteps.

Lifts were not ready for Powder Ridge’s opening day, so the resort offered discounts to skiers who opted to take to the slopes.

“We see it as our development year,” said Hayes.

He added that season pass holders and ticket buyers are welcome to refunds and additional perks if they feel short-changed.

“Anyone wanting a refund, we will continue to give a refund,” said Hayes. “Season pass holders who stick with us, we will give additional benefits.”

planb420

“Season pass holders who stick with us, we will give additional benefits.”

Another promise that im sure will go unfulfilled....nice and ambiguous this time however so that way its hard to fail as long as you do something. (I'm guessing it will be a T-shirt saying "I survived the Powder Ridge Re-opening")

OzSkiCT

As of yesterday, their Facebook page is no longer showing the section for "Recent Posts by Others on Powder Ridge Park" (normally in the right-hand column under the section for inviting Friends to like the page). Maybe all the negative social media postings are starting to wear them down, along with the fickle weather and inability to open more terrain.

I wish them the best, but it doesn't seem like much is going their way at present.

C-Rex

What makes you say that, you Sundown junkie? Haha! I think they will probably give a deal next year to people who stuck with them. They have a lot of catching up to do after being closed for years. I know the snow making system has a lot of problems along with the lifts. Having just bought and opened the place I'm sure they are trying to source funds to get these things fixed. It'll take some time, but I'm not about to count them out. They're not some multi-million dollar corporation that can just throw money at their problems. You guys are pretty harsh toward someone just getting started. Sure they made some claims, but they had to get people to the hill so they can afford to fix things. It's not like they are refusing refunds. They're doing what they have to to make it.

I feel we need to support the little, local guy. They're the ones we can count on when Stowe's prices go over $100/day.

planb420

What makes you say that, you Sundown junkie? Haha! I think they will probably give a deal next year to people who stuck with them. They have a lot of catching up to do after being closed for years. I know the snow making system has a lot of problems along with the lifts. Having just bought and opened the place I'm sure they are trying to source funds to get these things fixed. It'll take some time, but I'm not about to count them out. They're not some multi-million dollar corporation that can just throw money at their problems. You guys are pretty harsh toward someone just getting started. Sure they made some claims, but they had to get people to the hill so they can afford to fix things. It's not like they are refusing refunds. They're doing what they have to to make it.

I feel we need to support the little, local guy. They're the ones we can count on when Stowe's prices go over $100/day.

This guy is a business man and knew what he was doing promising things he wasn't sure he could deliver, boo hoo its a small hill that cant throw money at their problems....well I have a solution for that then, WAIT TILL YOUR READY TO FRIGGIN OPEN AND TAKE MONEY FROM POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS. You only get one chance to make a first impression....Mine is they suck at what they do and are in it for simply another source of income rather than just to revive a place for CT.

Snowlover

This guy is a business man and knew what he was doing promising things he wasn't sure he could deliver, boo hoo its a small hill that cant throw money at their problems....well I have a solution for that then, WAIT TILL YOUR READY TO FRIGGIN OPEN AND TAKE MONEY FROM POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS. You only get one chance to make a first impression....Mine is they suck at what they do and are in it for simply another source of income rather than just to revive a place for CT.
+1
I mean the guy is clearly a millionaire and knew damn well all along he didn't have the equipment to be ready, but decided to charge people for season passes anyway. People are acting like this is a public non-profit charity ski hill for the community. It's a business and this guy is in for the profit.

Big Game

With the horrible reputation Powder Ridge completely earned under Levitt, and the enthusiasm for a resurgence, the subsidies given away, more care should have been put into a reopening. That's my opinion.

But the opinion I'd really like to hear is from Mr. Sundown....why did he pull out of deal? Yeah it wasn't as sweet as the deal Hayes got...but I'd love to hear his opinion on the viability of Powder Ridge as a for-profit venture.

I'm worried about the mountainbikers who have been busting ass making downhill trails. I hope the Ridge can get its act together.

ScottySkis

And EVERY other ski area in ct is open. It's like history repeating itself. They had the same type of issues last time they closed.

Dude give up on this hill. Can be at Mountain Snow in what 3.5 hours they have great snow making along with Hunter, and so many why do post here we all love skiing or snowboarding in the east and we wouldn't be regular posters here if we didn't. Everyone here knows what east coast weather does. Sorry for my rant.

Snowlover

Dude give up on this hill. Can be at Mountain Snow in what 3.5 hours they have great snow making along with Hunter, and so many why do post here we all love skiing or snowboarding in the east and we wouldn't be regular posters here if we didn't. Everyone here knows what east coast weather does. Sorry for my rant.

Why do you call it mountain snow? Actually I can make mt. snow(I assume that's what you mean) in around 2.5 hours.

Highway Star

That's completely insane to buy a season pass at killington while living in BK, unless you're very wealthy and have a condo/afford a hotel up there for extended periods. Most people can't. Consider yourself blessed if you can and stop hating on us from ct.

This is my tenth year with a Killington pass, I ski about 60 days a year, and live around the same distance from K as it is from central CT. I have friends that come to K from all over NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI and NH.....a few own condos or houses but I would not consider them wealthy.

Last edited:

steamboat1

This is my tenth year with a Killington pass, I ski about 60 days a year, and live around the same distance from K as it is from central CT. I have friends that come to K from all over NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI and NH.....a few own condos or houses but I would not consider them wealthy.

You're missing out on all the GNAR in CT. All the rich ski there, get with it. Just look at the ticket prices at Sundown.

Seriously I've been a pass holder at K for about the same period of time. Skied there many times before becoming a pass holder. Still ski around a lot of other areas throughout New England & Quebec. I ain't rich.

Been skiing New England for over 50 years. The guy you quoted has a hard time driving to Powder Ridge when it snows. Pay no attention to him. He knows not what he speaks of.

Last edited:

planb420

You're missing out on all the GNAR in CT. All the rich ski there, get with it. Just look at the ticket prices at Sundown.

Seriously I've been a pass holder at K for about the same period of time. Skied there many times before becoming a pass holder. Still ski around a lot of other areas throughout New England & Quebec. I ain't rich.

Been skiing New England for over 50 years. The guy you quoted has a hard time driving to Powder Ridge when it snows. Pay no attention to him. He knows not what he speaks of.

+1

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
From their FB page,

Dear 2013-2014 Season Pass Holders,

Back in September it looked like we would get much more of the park open than even we originally planned. As we came into the season the delays in dredging permitting process, building permitting and missteps on our part slowed us down. Therefore we did not get the first floor of the lodge opened as we planned.

But what turned out more discouraging because of current weather conditions is that we were not able to make significant snow the first two weeks of December during the cold snap. Therefore our base coverage has not been adequate to withstand the warm and wet weather we have experienced this year. For all those things I personally apologize to all you that have been waiting for Powder Ridge to return to its formal glory. Please be assured we will not stop fighting until Powder Ridge takes its place back on top as the best in Connecticut.

For Season Pass customers that have not used their pass as of yet, we will continue to offer a 100% refund through the end of this week, 1/19/14. As a deep and sincere thank you to those customers that decide to remain with us, you will be recognized as Powder Ridge Charter Members and will receive the following additional benefits every consecutive year that you remain a season pass holder.

•An additional 15% off the Season Pass price. (That is up to 65% off)
•4 Adult 8 hour Full Access Powder Ridge Park Passes.
•2 Additional Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park2014 Adventure passes.
•$20.00 off coupon to The Ridge’s Sports store, valid on purchases of $75 or more.

These benefits will be in addition to any other bundled offers we offer to all season pass holders. Valid 2013 -2014 Season pass holders will be mailed additional coupons and park passes this season.
This offer is not intended as an enticement for you to remain as a holder, it is a “Thank You” to those that can see the vision in the work we have completed and want to make Powder Ridge their mountain sports park home for years to come.

Sincerely,
Sean Hayes
CEO Powder Ridge Mountain Park & Resort

C-Rex

I feel for them. They are new to the business and with weather like we've had the learning curve is steep. I don't think people can ask for much more out of them. You can get your money back, or give them your support and reap some rewards from it. Pretty fair if you ask me.