• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift Line Etiquette

deadheadskier

Staff member
Figured this topic deserved it's own thread instead of the lift tickets thread. Keep the other thread to lift ticket price discussions as originally intended.

makimono

Single Lines at a Double Chair are retarded. If all the singles get in the single line then there's nobody to pair up with and the liftie has to start pairing up people out of the singles line. Retarded.

I think it's cause people are so zonked out by the advent of high speed detachable lifts they need some authority figure to tell them what to do and can't interact with other humans normally.

Back in the day you'd just ski up to the side of the line, shout "Single!? Single!?" and pick the person with their pole in the air closest to the front of the line, duck the rope 'scuse me, coming thru and there you go...I miss the old days.

cdskier

Crust...I prefer thin and crispy.

They are all pretty important, but I would put Crust at #1. Any one of those items being bad though can ruin the whole pizza! I prefer a nice thin crust, but not too crispy.

cdskier

It seems to me that there was always a singles line present. I mean always, even if it was an empty midweek Wednesday and it wasnt used. Now it seems often there's no singles line, or perhaps it comes and goes at their discretion. But I feel I hear the lift operators yelling "single?" a lot more now and just doing it that way (which frankly seems to work fine), than having a dedicated singles line.

I don't see the point in wasting time to setup a special singles line midweek if there is no lift line anyway. Where I ski they have singles lines on weekends and any other busy days, which is perfectly fine with me.

As for who gets in the singles line, generally speaking I think groups of 4 should get in the regular quad line, but it really doesn't bother me much if they get in the singles line. Usually I don't see too many people doing that though. There have also been plenty of times I've seen people do that when in reality the regular line would have been faster anyway with a group of 4. If lift lines start getting too long to the point where who gets in what line bothers me, then I go and find another lift that is less crowded so I don't need to worry about it one way or the other!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Single Lines at a Double Chair are retarded. If all the singles get in the single line then there's nobody to pair up with and the liftie has to start pairing up people out of the singles line. Retarded.

I think it's cause people are so zonked out by the advent of high speed detachable lifts they need some authority figure to tell them what to do and can't interact with other humans normally.

It actually works out quite well at the Lookout chair at Stowe. There's basically 4 Q lines. 3 are for doubles and 1 is for singles. They let 2 rounds of doubles through, so six chairs worth and then let up a pair of singles. The singles and doubles line seem to operate at the exact same speed.

Back in the day you'd just ski up to the side of the line, shout "Single!? Single!?" and pick the person with their pole in the air closest to the front of the line, duck the rope 'scuse me, coming thru and there you go...I miss the old days.

I still see this fairly frequently at the Double at MRG.

makimono

It actually works out quite well at the Lookout chair at Stowe. There's basically 4 Q lines. 3 are for doubles and 1 is for singles. They let 2 rounds of doubles through, so six chairs worth and then let up a pair of singles. The singles and doubles line seem to operate at the exact same speed.

Stowe is incredibly organized and efficient like a machine, they probably tag you on Facebook to all your social media "friends" every time you go through the turnstile with your RFID ticket

I still see this fairly frequently at the Double at MRG.

MRG is cooler than Stowe

moresnow

They are all pretty important, but I would put Crust at #1. Any one of those items being bad though can ruin the whole pizza! I prefer a nice thin crust, but not too crispy.

Agreed, it is the sum of its parts. Nothing ruins the whole faster than a bad crust.

Crust...I prefer thin and crispy.

I'm will you there. I like it kinda like a good bagel. Crispy with bit of chewiness, not cracker-like.

There is a place near me that let's their dough ferment a bit, like sour dough. Great flavor and texture.

Savemeasammy

Personally, I don't don't know why ski areas will start grouping up people in the singles' line if they think it's getting "too long"... It's too long? Tough... Go get in the regular line then.

When skiing with others - which is more often than not - I prefer to ride up with them. I enjoy talking with my ski buddies, and that's easiest done on the chair. On the other hand, I don't have an issue with splitting up, and I'm not bothered by others who do it - as long as they are following singles etiquette (i.e. not trying to group up with their friends - the K1 is a perfect example of a lift where people do this).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
That I agree with. When I get in a singles line I have zero expectations of riding the chair with my skiing partners. And I will say the times I use the singles line while skiing with a group are rare these days. As a kid skiing Okemo and dealing with their monster lines it was more frequent. I try to avoid crowds like that all together these days.

ironhippy

I always thought the etiquette was as BenidectGomez described, it wasn't until a discussion here where I found people thinking that it's not rude to "game" the singles line as described here. I don't know if I came up with that on my own or I learned it as a kid.

I don't care all that much though, I try to avoid lines altogether as much as possible.

SkiFanE

Hi everybody! Longtime ass-hat, ass-wipe, azzhole..(whatever it was).. I'm a life-long member of the Attached Secret Singles club (ASS)! Shhhhh....don't tell anyone. All busy days I ditch my husband (friends too, depends on what they're carrying) and head Into singles line. It usually gets me up quicker. On occasion, it may be a bad choice if no single spots. But all in all, I like to ski, not stand in line, so I will do whatever I can to limit line time. Some abuse the privilege and do the noted bad things. But those in my club are respectful. We try not to gloat as we're half way down a run and see you only 1/3 way up the lift. You are a better person than us club members, that is firmly established. But those in my club don't give a flying rats ass about that :). Sorry. You will forever stew as you stand and watch my rump sit on the chair after only 1 minute. But, we all make choices in life. Our club is free. You can join! Although you have to be a good ambassador and not belch, talk wicked loud on phone and keep swearing to minumum if kids on chair. But easy-peasy stuff. Bonus is when husband and I get to go on lift together...like finding a winning scratch ticket!

ASS member forever!!!!!!

Brad J

Would the OP rather that the seat goes empty? , well I have been all the names that the OP directed to me and others that just want the line to move at full capacity. I really appreciate the single at MRG now knowing I am such a low life. Next he will be giving me crap when I jump in his line on a powder day!! Really lets just mellow out . Has the OP ever thought that maybe his skiing partner would like him in the singles line.

dlague

I think it is totally legit to go in the Singles line if the is more than one person. Even of it is a group of six. The price they pay is possibly riding up with strangers and waiting at the top for the entire posse to get up. Damn those groups causing clutter around the unloading area. The fact that this has been a huge debate baffles me. Personally, I could careless. Just don't like when they load a whole chair from the singles line.