• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MAX Pass 2016-2017

1Kathleen

Got mine as well. In my renewal email they promoted a $20 referral benefit. Instructions are to forward a link and if anyone uses it to purchase a pass I'll get a $20 refund. I am happy to pass that back to any AZers but the link didn't work. I advised their tech support. I'll post it here if they correct it.

KustyTheKlown

for this year? wow. sucks that the northeastern additions are still crap (slokemo, mountain creek? barf). but crested butte and eldora is way interesting.

dlague

Still think this is an interesting offering for New England with options to plan a western trip or two if inclined.

KustyTheKlown

yeah, of course it is, it always has been. with sunapee and wachusett, they are clearly aiming square at the boston folks to get them out to the western properties. to a lesser extent (okemo and mountain creek), they are shooting at NYC.

it's a great pass. i got tremendous value out of it last season. my only complaint, and one that this move does nothing to alleviate, is the lack of seriously challenging terrain in the east. sugarloaf is just too far. i'd have been way more excited to see them take on burke/jay as opposed to okemo/sunapee. i understand their rationale 100% tho. they are shooting at boston and nyc area families with the $ to go west. burke/jay are too far from population centers to really increase the pass' broader appeal. i still hope they make a play for jay tho.

crested butte and eldora is a nice add. theres now 25 days in colorado on the pass. enough for 2-3 nice big trips. and having copper/eldora/wp takes some sting out of the denver>steamboat or denver>cb drives. chop the first 75 minutes off. fly to denver>ski at copper 2 days>ski at CB or SB for 3 days>ski at winter park/eldora for 2 days and there is a really nice trip.

with the news today that my buddy is moving out of SLC, i'll take eldora and crested butte as a silver lining

4aprice

Still think this is an interesting offering for New England with options to plan a western trip or two if inclined.

Oh yea. This may change planned weekend line up with Okemo and Sunapee in the mix, and Mountain Creek? Well I bet I can find 5 nice quiet weekday afternoons to use up. I'm happy with my purchase.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

KustyTheKlown

yeah, i can see going to mountain creek for a mid-week powder day where i play hooky. and i can see myself going there for night skiing just because its free and close.

maybe it's time to really learn how to ski park? lol

bdfreetuna

This isn't too far off from something I'd dig. Even without going West it's feasible.

5 days Killington
5 days Pico
5 days Stratton
5 days Sugarloaf
5 days Sunday River
2 days Tremblant
1 day Okemo

If you do something like that you're coming in around $23 / ticket. I can probably average $35 / ticket this winter and not be stuck skiing a handful of resorts though. When you factor in the gas / lodging required to pull it off at half of their participating resorts I'll still pass on the pass. If they had a few more of my favorite places to ski in Vermont I'd be down. I don't like to repeat myself very much in a given winter but I could dig it at a few of those places (Killington Pico Sugarloaf mainly)

elks

Much more appealing now for us Boston metro folks: 3 mountains under two hours, 4 under 3 hours, and 2 under 4 hours. If they keep the same line-up for 2017/18, could be a toss up now with Peak Pass for our family.

SIKSKIER

This may have been answered somewhere but does anybody know how the pass money gets distributed to the ski areas?Do they get a certain dollar amount for each visit or do they get a set amount for being a member?I would guess the former.

steamboat1

This may have been answered somewhere but does anybody know how the pass money gets distributed to the ski areas?Do they get a certain dollar amount for each visit or do they get a set amount for being a member?I would guess the former.
Someone on another site commented that when they went to the ticket window to get their day pass they were given a receipt with a $50 charge on it.

Jully

Someone on another site commented that when they went to the ticket window to get their day pass they were given a receipt with a $50 charge on it.

If that's the case then the Max Pass itself is relying on the majority of pass holders not using more than 10 days or so.

Interesting model.

steamboat1

What pisses me off is that at Killington you can only get the MAX Pass add on if you purchase their unlimited pass. Blackout & midweek passes are not eligible. Other resorts offer the add on for all their passes including blackout & midweek pass holders (the Boyne New Englander passes for example or Mountain Creek midweek pass). You can get the add on if you purchase a unlimited Pico pass. Unlimited Pico passes are less expensive than a Killington midweek pass. Doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like I could use the MAX pass to ski Killington on weekends or blackout days since the MAX pass can't be used at the area the add on is attached to.

Last edited:

machski

What pisses me off is that at Killington you can only get the MAX Pass add on if you purchase their unlimited pass. Blackout & midweek passes are not eligible. Other resorts offer the add on for all their passes including blackout & midweek pass holders (the Boyne New Englander passes for example or Mountain Creek midweek pass). You can get the add on if you purchase a unlimited Pico pass. Unlimited Pico passes are less expensive than a Killington midweek pass. Doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like I could use the MAX pass to ski Killington on weekends or blackout days since the MAX pass can't be used at the area the add on is attached to.

Well, K is close to Okemo and Stratton. If they offer the MAX as add on to low cost midweek, maybe time to change base pass allegiance next season. Just saying, I have no idea why K does what it does. Probably a Powdr thing.

As too Krusty's thoughts on slokemo and Sunapee but liking Crested Butte new areas. You do understand all 3 areas are co-owned, so you get one (By far CB is what anyone would want of the three), you likely get the others added in. Likely was the ownership of those resorts opting/joining in, not so much max pass looking to add specific eastern terrain to the mix.

KustyTheKlown

I fully understand the shared ownership group concept. I was confused why creek wasn't already there as I know they are intrawest. Was not aware of okemo being owned by powdr/boyne/intra

steamboat1

I fully understand the shared ownership group concept. I was confused why creek wasn't already there as I know they are intrawest. Was not aware of okemo being owned by powdr/boyne/intra
Mountain Creek is not Intrawest, Intrawest sold it a few years ago. They do seem to have some kind of affiliation with Powdr though since you can get discounted MTB & ski lift tickets there with a Killington pass.

CNL owns Okemo, Sunapee & Crested Butte but are operated by the Muellers (Triple Peaks)

medfordmike

I don't think you can do the add on for Pico (can't speak to the others). On the Pico site they advertise the Max Pass but they are basically saying buy the full Max Pass vs. a Pico Pass. I could be wrong (ask my spouse I am wrong all the time) but I checked the Max Pass site and a Pico pass is not a "qualifying pass" for the add on. That being said I agree if you have a blackout pass at K it is not unreasonable for an add on to be an option.

https://www.themaxpass.com/faqs/?faq-link=5

steamboat1

Alyeska Season Pass
Alyeska Midweek Pass
Big Sky Gold Pass
Big Sky Silver Pass
Big Sky Bronze Pass
Big Sky Madison Pass
Blue Mountain Super Pass
Blue Mountain 6*7
Boreal Mountain All Access Pass
Boreal Mountain/Soda Springs Combo Pass