• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2016-7: It's On!

Jully

The passholder/express card only day isn't too bad either. Any regular Saturday and most Sundays are dreadful though.

dlague

Nothing against Silverton at all... Just saying though that in past years, their marketing crew has been called out for taking pictures at certain angles and distances that makes 6-10" of early season snow look more like 3-4 feet of powder.. The Silverton Fall camera shot may be the Western equivalent of the "Jay ruler" in the East ;-)

That day was exactly that, they got 12-14 inches!

dlague

Not killington though - we experienced the early season north ridge madhouse last year for the first and last time. My then 8 yr old had 3 collisions and the line was absurdly, ridiculously long.

Killington rat race early season is more about just getting out there! The lines can be long for sure on opening and early season weekends. Rime gets too crowded with real good skiers bombing down mixed in with those who avoided the Advanced skiing only signs. Then there are the steps which with younger kids can be complaining point for them - some adults too. If it is cold enough, the snow guns are all blasting away. Depending on how much thawing an freezing happens, the trails get scrapped off fast. Then there is the bottleneck of people on Great Northern at the intersection of Downdraft - not sure what it is about that area (luckily you go through that once more or less). So, if you do not like all that then don't go there!

Oddly enough we enjoyed that rat race - the vibe is cool! In any case, hopefully I did my part to reduce the lines!

WWF-VT

Killington rat race early season is more about just getting out there! The lines can be long for sure on opening and early season weekends. Rime gets too crowded with real good skiers bombing down mixed in with those who avoided the Advanced skiing only signs. Then there are the steps which with younger kids can be complaining point for them - some adults too. If it is cold enough, the snow guns are all blasting away. Depending on how much thawing an freezing happens, the trails get scrapped off fast. Then there is the bottleneck of people on Great Northern at the intersection of Downdraft - not sure what it is about that area (luckily you go through that once more or less). So, if you do not like all that then don't go there!

If Killington used this paragraph in their Daily Conditions report it would definitely reduce early season lines....

Jully

Oddly enough we enjoyed that rat race - the vibe is cool! In any case, hopefully I did my part to reduce the lines!

Its great if you all know what you're doing and know what to expect! I'm not going to want to take any kids I have skiing until the early season crowds disperse in late Nov / December!

slatham

Models coming into agreement that next week will be cold enough to make snow across a broad area of the NE and it looks at this point to hold for a bit. Still in the long range but looking better.....

Tin

Looking at the weather, they open to pass holders on Wednesday and general Thursday. My guess.

yeggous

Looking at the weather, they open to pass holders on Wednesday and general Thursday. My guess.

Pattern looks more favorable for Sunday River than Killington. Even Bretton Woods and Wildcat may get in on the chase.

Jully

Pattern looks more favorable for Sunday River than Killington. Even Bretton Woods and Wildcat may get in on the chase.

I was wondering if BW would try and get in the chase and possibly win. This weekend at night it'll drop down to around 25 degrees at altitude at K and BW appears to be a bit colder.

chuckstah

I think even earlier personally. I would think Monday for passholders is totally doable.

Monday for everyone would be nice. I'm not sure an opening with short notice on a Monday would need restrictions. Maybe make next Saturday the pass holder appreciation day, when it will be an intolerable zoo if open to everyon on N. Ridge only?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Agree with Sunday River being in a more favorable location. They also don't have the Killington elevation advantage. Not only that but Killington will fill in the waterbars on Rime and Reason so they have to blow less snow. Idk what the terrain is like on Aurora without snow but filling in each waterbar would take a lot of time and energy on its 1100' vertical compared to 590' on the North Ridge.

dlague

Monday for everyone would be nice. I'm not sure an opening with short notice on a Monday would need restrictions. Maybe make next Saturday the pass holder appreciation day, when it will be an intolerable zoo if open to everyone on N. Ridge only?

They always open to everyone on North Ridge only! yes the have a pass holder day or weekend but every time I have gone I have always been there for the public and with only North Ridge open with one exception. The year of the Halloween storm, while only North Ridge was open, people were poaching runs to the bottom.

chuckstah

They always open to everyone on North Ridge only! yes the have a pass holder day or weekend but every time I have gone I have always been there for the public and with only North Ridge open with one exception. The year of the Halloween storm, while only North Ridge was open, people were poaching runs to the bottom.

I was there after the Halloween storm as well. Great day. Stayed over for a night even though it's an easy day trip as we had no power for a week and the house was freezing.

Jully

Didn't last year they open North Ridge for passholders and express card holders only?