• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Thread (New owners, New Future)

EPB

I don't think I've seen this yet here, but LiftBlog has Bonnie getting replaced with a detach (TBD on # of seats) for summer of 2025. Will be interesting to see if the new group likes the existing line or the old double line where the 6 was supposed to go.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't think I've seen this yet here, but LiftBlog has Bonnie getting replaced with a detach (TBD on # of seats) for summer of 2025. Will be interesting to see if the new group likes the existing line or the old double line where the 6 was supposed to go.

The lifts at Jay are old. Functional, but old.

RH29

That sounds impossible. There's only 1 resort talked about on these forums that has any major issues with lifts! :popcorn:
Both of the problems Jet and Bonnie had were with the drive/motor, and not years long construction and structural issues. Bonnie was out for the better part of two weeks in 2022 (overlapping with my stay there...grrr) after conking out during extreme cold and Jet was closed for a while last year.

cdskier

Both of the problems Jet and Bonnie had were with the drive/motor, and not years long construction and structural issues. Bonnie was out for the better part of two weeks in 2022 (overlapping with my stay there...grrr) after conking out during extreme cold and Jet was closed for a while last year.

I wasn't referring to Magic...

thetrailboss

Staff member
That sounds impossible. There's only 1 resort talked about on these forums that has any major issues with lifts! :popcorn:
Didn’t you know that Jay Peak is Sugarbush North-North? 😉😂

Fact: the former Green Mountain Quad, aka the “Snail”, moved from Ellen to Jay in 2002. It’s now the Metro Quad and I believe it is not cursed as are other SB lifts 😂😂😂

AdironRider

Making Bonnie a high speed will definitely appease the masses, but I actually kinda feel like its overkill. They parked out at max capacity last Saturday and the longest I waited in line was 8 minutes.

Still, that lift is 40 years old I believe and at the end of its useful life, so a replacement is needed.

MidnightJester

They listed 32 trails open but there is way more the be had : ) if you navigate the few closed trail areas. First time I took the Tram after over a dozen trips there.
So anyone thinking of spring turns I would recommend Jay Peak this week or weekend. If the weather in nice it has the SNOW coverage and the goods for a great day. I did benefit from 1"-2" of fresh snow on the top of the mountain Monday. The trails open are fun with very little ice. The mogul bottoms are frozen but the tops were nice. There are still grabbable glades to be had Listed(open) and Unlisted(closed). Kitzbu woods(1x), Timbuktu(4x), Beaver pond(1x), Most of Canyon land(1x), Everglade(1x) into Kokomo was a great glade run and slight walk at the end of Kokomo. They are mostly roped off but accessible and have enough coverage to be poached if you are willing to track the Snow Islands and Snow bands once lower in the glades and woods. Definite streams poking trough but very fun and manageable still.
8 glade runs out of 18 runs, 24,000+ vertical feet. Not bad for a April 22nd day : )
1000001354.jpg
1000001340.jpg
1000001343.jpg
1000001344.jpg
1000001345.jpg

Last edited:

Newpylong

So now after (nearly) the second full season, how has ownership under PGRI been? When the sale was announced and there was a lot of concern I mentioned that if Jay is managed anything like Ragged (left alone from above), things should be fine. Curious to hear how it went.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So now after (nearly) the second full season, how has ownership under PGRI been? When the sale was announced and there was a lot of concern I mentioned that if Jay is managed anything like Ragged (left alone from above), things should be fine. Curious to hear how it went.

One of my best friends has been a groomer there now for two seasons. He was grooming at Smuggs prior. I asked him what the employees felt about the new ownership and he said it was very positive and that most long term staff said no real change operationally or culturally with the ownership change.

snoseek

One of my best friends has been a groomer there now for two seasons. He was grooming at Smuggs prior. I asked him what the employees felt about the new ownership and he said it was very positive and that most long term staff said no real change operationally or culturally with the ownership change.
They've owned powderhorn for a bit now and everyone I know there is thrilled. Day to day operations have been excellent and they've reinvested when needed.

MidnightJester

If anyone was thinking about Spring conditions?? Jay Peaks Saturday Tailgating party and free cookoff is this weekend with the Tram and Jet and Bonaventure lifts still all running :) for spring conditions. High 20's the night before and 50 to 60 during the Saturday day.
RS7886_IMG_1843.jpg

Last edited:

drjeff

The simple fact that there hasn't been a PGRI Sucks thread created here on AZ probably speaks volumes as to how generally positive it's been under them! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MidnightJester

If anyone is interested in Jay peak Tomorrow/Today Saturday For the Tailgating party or a Day of Skiing or Riding I have a lift ticket that I activated already and I wont be going tomorrow 4/27

Hit me up or throw a message here and I will send it over to you free