• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Thread (New owners, New Future)

Smellytele

About Jay and the Indy Pass….I’ve gotta think that Jay’s skier numbers are far higher than the Ragged visits. But Jay is on Indy and Ragged isn’t? I’m missing something.
Jay was on the Indy before Ragged owners bought Jay. We’ll see next year what pans out…

Edd

Jay was on the Indy before Ragged owners bought Jay. We’ll see next year what pans out…
Yeah, I’m under the impression that they had the time to bail out of that, and chose not to. If I’m wrong, it makes sense, but otherwise….

chuckstah

Yeah, I’m under the impression that they had the time to bail out of that, and chose not to. If I’m wrong, it makes sense, but otherwise….
Saturation issue in the Ragged area.(Pat's, WV, Cannon, Black, WB, Dartmouth, S6) Indy doesn't want excessive redemption rates. I believe the average redemption rate is 4-5 per pass holder which keeps a good payout to the ski areas. I would welcome Ragged (and Tenney), hopefully it happens. Maybe it could work with Cannon like blackouts?

Edd

Saturation issue in the Ragged area.(Pat's, WV, Cannon, Black, WB, Dartmouth, S6) Indy doesn't want excessive redemption rates. I believe the average redemption rate is 4-5 per pass holder which keeps a good payout to the ski areas. I would welcome Ragged (and Tenney), hopefully it happens. Maybe it could work with Cannon like blackouts?
Makes sense, unfortunately. I’d trade several of those for Ragged.

BodeMiller1

Are you guys comparing Jay Peak to Ragged?

Jay Peak 2,153' Ragged 1.250'

Nice to see Jay Peak will escape from the fraud thing. Couldn't have been good for the mountain.

thebigo

10 AM, Saturday presidents day weekend, perfect ski weather. Ragged could use every indy redemption they can get.

Attachments

• 20240217_101350.jpg
    20240217_101350.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240217_101020.jpg
    20240217_101020.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19

snoseek

10 AM, Saturday presidents day weekend, perfect ski weather. Ragged could use every indy redemption they can get.
That's actually shocking. Are there alotnof people blacked out? I had that pass like 4 years back and don't think I had any blackouts. Makes zero sense

thebigo

That's actually shocking. Are there alotnof people blacked out? I had that pass like 4 years back and don't think I had any blackouts. Makes zero sense
Ragged does not sell a blackout pass. Only pass they sold was $400 unlimited. I doubt there is a ski area in the east with multiple detach lifts that does less ski visits. Indy makes sense, I would guess they get on next year if indy wants them.

Edd

When Jay joined Indy they had a different owner. Simple as that.
That’s true, but it was sold in 2022. Last year, the new owners could have chosen to not have Jay on Indy this season, I’d assume. But, perhaps Chuckstah is correct about saturation with Ragged’s location and they’d choose to have Ragged join if possible.

doublediamond

“Saturation” was talked a lot about by the old ownership of Indy Pass. Indy Pass was sold and the new ownership has transitioned Whaleback and Dartmouth from allied to full partners, funded the reopening of Black and Hickory.

More areas means the ability to sell more passes which means more money in to Indy Pass ownership (which takes a 15% cut). I would expect more additions in the future.

Mum skier

This is a conditions comment (not owners, pass etc related) . We skied today, Presidents Day. Awesome conditions so long as you could cope with the cold and wind. No lines (I mean absolutely none) for flyer and jet. Tram, of course so we didn’t wait for that. Over at Stateside my sons best wish came true, he didn’t have to choose between glades or terrain park, they have actually put some small boxes in the glades off the taxi quad! So he could do both in one go.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is a conditions comment (not owners, pass etc related) . We skied today, Presidents Day. Awesome conditions so long as you could cope with the cold and wind. No lines (I mean absolutely none) for flyer and jet. Tram, of course so we didn’t wait for that. Over at Stateside my sons best wish came true, he didn’t have to choose between glades or terrain park, they have actually put some small boxes in the glades off the taxi quad! So he could do both in one go.
Jay Peak cold and windy? Say it ain’t so!

😂😂😂😂

Smellytele

I was there Sunday while I had a good time I wouldn’t say the conditions were awesome. The reported new snow which drew me there was not to be seen for the most part. 22” reported but even in the woods I found no more than at most 8”. A lot of hard pack under everything. Lower angle woods were the best like North Glades.

BenedictGomez

As I mentioned in a recent thread I started, once NWS has live snow interval tracking at stations all over America, ski resort "snow fibbing" is going to largely be a thing of the past.

For instance, I can see in real-time that tonight at Canyons near the Daybreak chair it started snowing sometime after 6pm, and by 9pm 1.3 inches has accumulated so far. These live snow stations so far seem to be 95% placed out west, but they'll be in the east too soon enough. You wont need to go to a "snow report" webpage to see what the mountain's reporting at 7am, you'll be able to see for yourself if you're so inclined, and whenever you want.
1708408337876.png

AdironRider

I don’t think you understand why those stations exist primarily out west. It isn’t for skiing, it’s to measure the amount of water the West relies on for you to drink and grow stuff. That isn’t a problem on the East Coast so they aren’t going to go through that expense. They’ll just put up a much cheaper weather station that doesn’t have the snowfall capabilities.

BenedictGomez

I don’t think you understand why those stations exist primarily out west. It isn’t for skiing, it’s to measure the amount of water the West relies on for you to drink and grow stuff. That isn’t a problem on the East Coast so they aren’t going to go through that expense. They’ll just put up a much cheaper weather station that doesn’t have the snowfall capabilities.

The stations are already there. This is very new technology which wasn't available to the public just a year ago.