• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2010-11 Ski Goals. . .

Smellytele

Ha, no. It's just the end of the year and I have to do my year-end performance and next years goals, so I'm getting beat over the head with it a lot lately.

The beating seems to be working because you are drinking the corporate Kool-aid. :) I just did mine as well. Come on year-end bonus!!!

skidmarks

My Short List

Ski a few more NELSAP places in CT (Goal depends on Snow)
Get a few more days in on the Thunderbolt and do the race.
Ski the Teardrop at Mt Mainsfield
Ski Great Gulf at Mt Washington
Ski Magic it's been a long time and Burke, a never ever.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Here's my list from last year, and how I did:

* Ski more backcountry (nope, add it to 2011)
* Ski more days in April and May (nope, add it to 2011)
* Ski more (Yes, got a lot of days in last year, but I still want more for 2011)
* Buy new Tele Skis (for BC use). (not yet, spent the money on a mountain bike, add it to 2011)
* Save $2,000 for future Haute Route Ski Trip. (not even close, saving money is hard, add it to 2011)
* Off season: Road bike over 1,500 miles and maybe buy a mountain bike (pretty damn close on the road bike, successful on the mountain bike)
* Make sure this year's skiing video is better than all previous years combined (didn't make a video, definitely will do this in 2011).

So I still have some stuff to work on from last year.

zinger3000

Ski some new areas
Stratton (will give me every ski area within 2 hours of home)
Bolton Valley
Titus?

Try Bromley again (skied there once 3 years ago, but could only ski greens back then, so it was pretty much the same 2 trails all day)

Ski more than 26 days, my previous record. Should be easy since I have a season pass to my home mountain this year.

Agreed with smellytele about not paying more than $50 for a day of skiing. I've never paid more than $50; should be able to continue that trend this year.

snowmonster

My first goal is to come back from every ski day in one piece. After that, the more ambitious goals are:

1. Two out of the following areas around Mt. Washington: Oakes Gulf, Ammonoosuc Ravine, Monroe Brook, Mt. Jefferson or Huntington Ravine (I actually have a list of these on my desk at work).
2. The Thunderbolt
3. Mt. Cardigan
4. Utah -- Alta, Deer Valley, Brighton or Powder Mountain.
5. Stowe, Jay, MRG or the Bush during a powder day.
6. AZ day.

dmc

I'll set my goals once i know where the snow is falling... :)

My only real goal is to get back to Jay this year...

mondeo

For reference:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=58845

From last year:
Lower my stance, shoulders back, stop using my tails. - Improved. Primary goal technique wise this year is to seperate upper and lower body, stop looking like a bump skiing drinking bird. Also to even out my edging through the turn instead of putting it all at the end of the turn. And skiing more directly, controlling speed by bending the ski.

Hit some BC stuff. - Tried once. Didn't go over so well with the underbrush I was trying to work through. Still on the list.

Helicopter - Got it, now needs polish.
360 Mute Grab - Still on the list
Quad Twister - lower priority, but on the list.
Daffy Twister Spread - Almost, did a couple super rushed, super hacked ones. Apparently it needs a lot of air.

100 days - done. No goal for days this year.

Get to Sugarbush - still on the list

New for 2011:
Dial in the mute grab. I'm terrible at them.
Switch 360
Dial in simple box slides, then get fancier.

Huck_It_Baby

1. Rip pow, drop cliffs.
2. Avoid Crowds
3. Tour more
4. Hike to big Jay
5. Be happy life allows me to ski

RustyGroomer

Many goals but 1st & foremost I purchased 15 advanced discounted Magic lift tickets. My goal is to sell them @ no profit to skiers interested in skiing Magic for the 1st time.

I figure if I can get 15 new skiers to give the place a shot, maybe they will enjoy it & bring back 15 more & so on.

djspookman

Nice Rusty!!!! :)

My goals this season include:

-not getting into fights with 12" maples in the woods (again)
-getting my 3 year old turning confidently and skiing from top to bottom at Magic without the harness (and Morse at Smuggs- as that's where we'll be skiing this season)
-getting my wife out skiing more this season (our second kiddo was born in January- and was very needy the rest of the season, so my wife didn't ski at all last year!) This year the kiddo will be a lodge baby...
-get outside and enjoy more this season!
-boot some of Magic's finest woodsy offerings...............and land them switch
-throw a 360 and stick the landing- I've been practicing them on the trampoline in my spare time over the summer, but trampolines and the real thing are two different beasts
-ride the new rails they're building at Magic! ;)

Last edited:

mondeo

throw a 360 and stick the landing- I've been practicing them on the trampoline in my spare time over the summer, but trampolines and the real thing are two different beasts
Just go for it. As long as you get around to 270 and can spot the landing, falling doesn't really hurt. If you're not gonna get to 270, stop at 180. Commiting is the big thing.

Just remember that with skis on, your rotational speed is going to be lower than on the trampoline because of the additional mass spinning at a larger radius.

djspookman

Just go for it. As long as you get around to 270 and can spot the landing, falling doesn't really hurt. If you're not gonna get to 270, stop at 180. Commiting is the big thing.

Just remember that with skis on, your rotational speed is going to be lower than on the trampoline because of the additional mass spinning at a larger radius.

good point. Done it on tele's? I ask because that's all I ski on anymore:)