• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paragliding

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
One of my other hobbies that I haven't done that much is Paragliding. I started training in the late 1990's with my dad in Europe. Got my certification (My, "Sonderpilotenschein" in Austria) and bought an old glider. Flew several times since then but it's now been a few years and I'm trying to get back into it.

This past weekend I had the chance to head up to Morningside Flight Park in Charlestown, NH. They have a couple different launches, the highest being I think 450'. Pales in comparison to the 1000 M (3000') launches in Austria, but being airborne is fun none theless. I did two quick flights from the 150' marker, but then the wind picked up too much and was coming over the back of the hill so no good for flying.

I have to go back again, planning on the 15th, to do a couple higher launches. After that the instructor there, I am hoping, will "sign off" my license to the US equivolent which is a P3.

Fun stuff .... eventually I want to get the motor so I can just fly from the top of my street ;)

PS: Yeah, I used that song that was in the MRG powder video from the site here somewhere. It's a good tune

jaja111

That looks like a blast, and quite a bit cheaper than plane rentals with fuel.

(The song is "When I'm Small" by Phantogram).

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I actually have a private pilot's license as well; but I find myself enjoying paragliding so much more ... I find it represents what flying is more accurately to me. Just the freedom of being in the air.

Huck_It_Baby

There is a place near where I am moving at the end of the month just north of Burlington that has a launch. I am getting into this for sure!

I used to take flight lessons as a teenager but never got my pilots license. This looks like it will be a perfect new hobbie!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
When conditions are right (e.g. strong NW wind), there are a lot of paragliders that flock to Burke.

On this particular day there must have been 15 paragliders and hang-gliders buzzing around the mtn.

Dsc02851.jpg

Some of those guys get REALLY high. Burke's summit is 3260 and I could barely see a couple of them. They were probably over 4000'.

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

Looks awesome!!

Can you stay relatively low for the duration of the flight or are you forced to go up high to catch thermals?

bigbog

I would enjoy flying Ultralights but that Paragliding, especially at relatively high altitudes gives me the willies....just like high lift rides....but with the quiet of the ride...and the scenery one gets, must be addictively fun.

Bumpsis

Paragliding is awesome. I tried getting into this back in the 90's but living in Boston it was really tough to get to the training hill. The only outfit back then was just north of Burlinton VT. I took a couple of lessons and short flights but never got certified.
The sport does have its share of dangers once you get more advanced and start catching thermals - partial wing collapses, downdrafts, etc.
At this point, I'd love to get some place where they have a big launch and take a tandem ride with a trained pilot on a "safe" day.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I didn't get out last weekend, was too sick with a fever and all that jazz. Hope to get out very soon though!

Here is a pretty cool video, and as I understand it the subtitles are accurate

Huck_It_Baby

Here is a pretty cool video, and as I understand it the subtitles are accurate

Holy cow! I need to stop watching paragliding accident videos. They aren't making me want to go, haha!

Nick do you wear a secondary chute when you go up?

Huck_It_Baby

Now see..a secondary chute would put a lot of willies to rest for me...;-)

I agree. I'm big on back up plans and redundancy equipment.

After seeing the video with the bird strike I'm thinking full protective face mask =)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Holy cow! I need to stop watching paragliding accident videos. They aren't making me want to go, haha!

Nick do you wear a secondary chute when you go up?

I do have a reserve chute. It's actually being repacked by the guys at Morningside for me now. I would do it myself but I want it to, you know, OPEN if it were ever necessary. :)

Huck_It_Baby

I do have a reserve chute. It's actually being repacked by the guys at Morningside for me now. I would do it myself but I want it to, you know, OPEN if it were ever necessary. :)

I assume this is standard practice?

You don't feel safer packing your own chute? I had always though that for sky diving at least most people preferred to pack their own so the KNEW it was safe.

I'm excited to try a newbie flight!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, it's standard practice to carry a reserve chute for high flights. The reserves are a little different than those on a skydiving rig, you have to throw them manually and they can take a bit to open. Also, they often are open in conjunction with the main chute off to the side. I think you need at least a couple hundred feet for it to open.