• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Accuweather 2013-14 Winter Forecast

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Pretty much on par with a lot of the long range forecasts that I've seen.

650x366_10071419_winter-2013-14-adc-hd.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/us-winter-2013-2014-snow/18574742

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Most of what I've seen is average to slightly above average for the Northeast.

I've also seen colder than average temps with average precip, which I actually like. Let the snowmakers put down a solid base, and anything that falls from the sky is fun to play with.

Last edited:

dlague

I think we are in the mild start right now! Hopefully that above normal snow will slide down soon and take over!

skiberg

I have been neurotically following the weather, as I usually do this time of year and this is what seems to be the general consensus as of today. First we are in a mild period right now, 2nd, they expect that November will be colder that normal. Third, they are predicting December to be WARMER than normal. Fourth, it appears a neg. NAO will take over, but not until Jan. If so JAN- MAR will probably be loaded with cold and snow. Fifth, predicting a VERY, VERY cold but dry winter in Europe. Again this is a general consensus and my experience is that they are often wrong on these long terms predictions. Most recently I went to Europe in Spring 2012. they were predicting a warm and early end to winter in Europe. I went mid-late April and they were buried in snow and snowed the whole time I was there and they had an unusually cold wet spring that year.

4aprice

I have been neurotically following the weather, as I usually do this time of year and this is what seems to be the general consensus as of today. First we are in a mild period right now, 2nd, they expect that November will be colder that normal. Third, they are predicting December to be WARMER than normal. Fourth, it appears a neg. NAO will take over, but not until Jan. If so JAN- MAR will probably be loaded with cold and snow.

This is pretty much what I have heard as well. It will be interesting to see if the ski areas take advantage of a November cold snap if the long range stays the way it is. Also how much above December is a big question. With short daylight and cold avg temps it's not necessarily a bad thing unless its 5 to 10+ above. (that would be "much above normal" in my book). With the signs I've been seeing (acorns, fattening animals etc, low sun activity) I'm still on board for a pretty good one. If its more back loaded that won't bother me either.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

skiberg

I too am not so concerned with December as I am pretty confident it will be cold enough to get snow down. We just really need the weeklong cold snaps so they can just pump out the snow non-stop. Its the fluctuation in temps that kills them. On and off on the guns creates a lot of work. I always look to have a good Christmas week. Especially this year as I will be at my house for 13 days straight around Christmas. I have been up there during years when its 45 degrees on Christmas and that is really a bummer.

Warp Daddy

take all this noise as Weather guessing at best :) ........just go when u can and consult this but do not depend on "PREDICTIONS " or you will often MISS living life .

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

ScottySkis

"We have no idea what's gonna happen but it'll be ROBUST."

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app
It will snow ski and snowboarding then, in North East it will get warm enjoy spring conditions, it will rai$ wait to it snows again and enjoy the fun winter.

ScottySkis

I am reading November will feel like 50 s and December I guess I can leave skis in the shop. Will we get a good winter , maybe time to fly out West and not think about north east uncountable weather.:confused: