• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often do you sharpen your edges?

bigbog

Agreed...conditions mostly dictate, plus how much they're dulled.. Some steeper off-resort areas, when there's enough cover, with the possible mix or plain ice, kind of dictates every day...at least underfoot+/-...... Gummy stone & a few files in pack are one's friends....

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Once a season typically, unless its been a really rough year with ice or roots/rocks etc., then I've done twice a season, but I'm admittedly not very particular unless I detect a clear performance loss.

The thing I dont get is the folks that say every 2 or 3 times they ski. I think to myself either, where/what the hell are they skiing, or, did they finish ahead of Bode Miller and Svindal?

dmw

This might relate to a question I have - has anyone ever experienced edges that just won't stay sharp or never seem that sharp to begin with? I have a Burton Deuce snowboard that the edges never seem sharp - I've had it shop tuned probably 4 times in the 2+ years I've had it, and done occasional filing. The edges currently feel duller to the touch than a pair of skis I bought for 30 bucks at a yard sale. Bums me out. Are the edges just crap or have they just never been set up right to start with?

Savemeasammy

Just did it for the second time this season. I might have hit a rock or two early this season... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

planb420

This might relate to a question I have - has anyone ever experienced edges that just won't stay sharp or never seem that sharp to begin with? I have a Burton Deuce snowboard that the edges never seem sharp - I've had it shop tuned probably 4 times in the 2+ years I've had it, and done occasional filing. The edges currently feel duller to the touch than a pair of skis I bought for 30 bucks at a yard sale. Bums me out. Are the edges just crap or have they just never been set up right to start with?

Have you contacted Burton Rider Services?

drjeff

Once a season typically, unless its been a really rough year with ice or roots/rocks etc., then I've done twice a season, but I'm admittedly not very particular unless I detect a clear performance loss.

The thing I dont get is the folks that say every 2 or 3 times they ski. I think to myself either, where/what the hell are they skiing, or, did they finish ahead of Bode Miller and Svindal?

It's all about how they perform when I roll mine up on an edge and really stand on them during a turn. If they hold, AND I'M MAKING A GOOD TECHNIQUE TURN PROPER RADIUS TURN FOR MY SKIS, that's what matters to me. If they're not holding and/or washing out mid/late turn, and once again my technique is solid, then I know that they need some attention so that I can go at my turns in the manner that I like to.

Mogul skiers I've learned tend to go a LONG time between edge sharpening as most of there turn work and speed control comes from skidded turns into the face of the bump, even on hard snow.

How one wants/needs their equipment to perform is all a matter of personal taste, since as long as you're having fun on the hill, dull, sharp, burred, smooth, its all good in my book! :)

drjeff

Ask the shop if they're tuning to factory specs, and if not, maybe your personal riding style needs some alteration in the edge bevel angles. Most of the time, a GOOD grind from a reputable shop to either factory or personal bevel specs will "resurrect" a dull feeling/performing edge

Savemeasammy

I will second the suggestion that your edges may need to be returned to whatever the factory milled them too (providing that you were happy with it). I just had my skis belt ground and the original 1,1 bevel put back on. They grab ice much better than they did after another tuning I had done this preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmw

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into these solutions. Anyone have a suggestion of the best shop for tuning in the Boston area?

mishka

it can be 2 things: sharpening incorrectly or material I was a edges is not the same.
assuming sharpening the same. Doesn't have to be proper or to specific angle it have to be the same.
Material: Edges made from hardened steel. And they all usually the same unless big manufacture buys an edges to their own specification. For example with lower/higher hardness of steel or unhanded at all.

This is only logical explanation I can think of

Last edited:

xwhaler

Am gonna get mine 're done tomorrow at Dartmouth or Monday at Magic. The free tune at Golf and Ski this YR is not cutting it. Wife's edges are all rusty after a tune and 3 hrs on the hill......not impressed

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Am gonna get mine 're done tomorrow at Dartmouth or Monday at Magic. The free tune at Golf and Ski this YR is not cutting it. Wife's edges are all rusty after a tune and 3 hrs on the hill......not impressed

That's bizarre. I wonder what could be done wrong with a ski tune that would cause rusting after minimal use. I just got mine tuned there last week, I should check my edges. :lol:

I was actually going to comment in the north shore / seacoast ski shop thread about a positive customer service experience there with the tune especially because i had recommended going elsewhere. I only went there because my skis needed a tune bad, I had no plans of going up to Dover at the time and Golf and Ski is on my way to work, so I figured I'd give them a shot. Price was $30. When I went to pick up the skis the guy asked if I was a store savings club member. I said no and said he'd give me the discount anyways and only charged me $15. I thought that was pretty cool.

Edd

That's bizarre. I wonder what could be done wrong with a ski tune that would cause rusting after minimal use. I just got mine tuned there last week, I should check my edges. :lol:

I was actually going to comment in the north shore / seacoast ski shop thread about a positive customer service experience there with the tune especially because i had recommended going elsewhere. I only went there because my skis needed a tune bad, I had no plans of going up to Dover at the time and Golf and Ski is on my way to work, so I figured I'd give them a shot. Price was $30. When I went to pick up the skis the guy asked if I was a store savings club member. I said no and said he'd give me the discount anyways and only charged me $15. I thought that was pretty cool.

I don't love the vibe of that place but I've dealt with them a few times and they seem competent.

JDMRoma

I used them for both my tunes this year, first one was a freebee with bringing in a non perishable food item…food drive and second was the $15 dollar special as club member. I live in Hudson NH…Its right off the highway on my way home..easy for me….so far both tunes are looking good. I only have one day on my Gotama's and probably 3 or 4 on my AC 50s….so far they look great

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

If they had gotten wet and put together, edge to edge, rust could develop in a few hours.

Fureals? Guess I've never experienced that as I wipe excess snow off before putting them back in the truck in the parking lot. Then I wipe my skis down (edges and metal binding parts) with a cloth as soon as I get home. I'm not at ALL excessive about care compared with many posters here, but my rock skis are 15 years old and still going strong.

skifree

My wife's edges always get rusty. Think it's because she hardly puts her ski on edge

WWF-VT

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into these solutions. Anyone have a suggestion of the best shop for tuning in the Boston area?

Best in the Boston area is Mike de Santis aka SkiMD. He operates his shop at Summit Ski & Snowboard in Framingham