• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often do you sharpen your edges?

drjeff

I was more curious how they developed rust so fast.

My #1 thought would be that when taking them off in the base area the last bit of snow they touched was some of the snow that often can get "contaminated" with sand, salt, and dirt that many resorts use to keep walkways and stairs clean.

That snow can quickly lead to oxidation of the edges

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

dmw

Best in the Boston area is Mike de Santis aka SkiMD. He operates his shop at Summit Ski & Snowboard in Framingham

Thanks, I remember hearing that shop was good on here previously. I'll try to get my board out there this week.

xwhaler

My #1 thought would be that when taking them off in the base area the last bit of snow they touched was some of the snow that often can get "contaminated" with sand, salt, and dirt that many resorts use to keep walkways and stairs clean.

That snow can quickly lead to oxidation of the edges

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

May have been this or I just never bother with wiping edges anymore.
My skis were not rusty and I got my wife's done at same time as mine.
She doesn't use her edges as much as she probably should so any surface rust doesnt get a chance to work itself off.
Got the guys at Magic to 're do my edges today and they commented they were not in good shape after only a few days from golf and ski

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

Fwiw they got rusty just after a day at Okemo! Hahaha 😉

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

steamboat1

I usually get my ski's tuned every 5-8 days skiing. I've been buying a season tune for years from Aspen East near Killington. My ski's are there right now. They charge $125 for the season for as many times as you want to bring them in. They do what ever they feel is necessary whether it be just a light touch up or a stone grind, I trust their opinion. They even tune my rock ski's free of charge. Last year I hurt myself early in the season & only had my ski's tuned once. When I went in this fall & told them the story they gave me a complimentary season tune for this season. That's pretty good customer service in my opinion.

jack97

I usually get my ski's tuned every 5-8 days skiing. I've been buying a season tune for years from Aspen East near Killington. My ski's are there right now. They charge $125 for the season for as many times as you want to bring them in. They do what ever they feel is necessary whether it be just a light touch up or a stone grind, I trust their opinion. They even tune my rock ski's free of charge. Last year I hurt myself early in the season & only had my ski's tuned once. When I went in this fall & told them the story they gave me a complimentary season tune for this season. That's pretty good customer service in my opinion.

I'll add another story for Aspen East. Several seasons ago, I got a good year end deal on a ski from the place and they did a free mount on bindings i got from the internet.