• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fischer Motive 74

xwhaler

http://www.the-house.com/8955fim7pr1pas13zz-fischer-ski-packages.html

Anyone have any experience with these?
Helped my brother in law who recently moved back from CA get a pair of these. He's been off skis now for about 10 yrs but has been out a couple times on rental gear and did ok from what I'm told. Probably a low intermediate at this point with the desire to improve.
I didn't want to get him anything too soft as he's a bigger guy but also wanted to get him something affordable that he could grow with as his skills improve.
$263 shipped w bindings already mounted seemed like a good buy to me.

xwhaler

Having never owned Fischers before, are they generally on the heavier/lighter side and/or how do they compare flex/stiffness wise?
Hoping I didn't recommend a noodle ski to him!

yeggous

Can't speak to that ski, but Fischer makes great skis that you can often get for a good price because people in the US often haven't heard of them. This is largely a result of their minimal advertising budget. Certainly don't be afraid of the brand!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have the motive 84 as my primary ski. Great build quality and exceptional performance on ice. Useless in 6 inches plus of snow and not so great in bumps, but that's not what I got them for. I got them as a hard snow carving ski.

From the sounds of your brothers experience I'm sure the 74s will work real well.

xwhaler

Nice DHS. Good info......can't see him ripping bumps and the limited powder days we have is probably not enough to justify either a 2nd set or a more expensive ski.
He gave me a $500 budget to work with for skis, boots, bindings, and poles so had to do some searching to find something decent but not too $$$

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Madroch

Have the 84 also- good carver- although not as good as my rc's or racetigers-

I find them to be typical fischer- light and grippy- bit not damp like many other carvers from other manufacturers

but they are more versatile than pure carvers. I found them not bad in bumps- not like twisters but better than the race carvers and full
Boat race skis- and okay in deeper snow- of course they are the fattest ski in my quiver which is why they are comparatively not the best carver but best in deeper snow. It's all a matter of comparison.

They are fast becoming my everyday ski....