• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Speculation Thread - Saturday 25 Jan 2014

Wavewheeler

NY Metro TV is already mentioning the possibility of a big storm around the Superbowl. Isn't hyperbole wonderful? Lol

Well, that would be interesting! If it's snowed out I'm going skiing. I have off the Monday after. :thumbup:

Several years back I skied at Windham on Superbowl Sunday. The place was empty by 1pm.

ScottySkis

Several years back I skied at Windham on Superbowl Sunday. The place was empty by 1pm.[/QUOTE]

I love going to normal crowds places on this dsy. Usually good deala and few people. I went to Mountsnow last year. It even better because New England was in the bowl. Crowds were gone by 12 last year.

Wavewheeler

When I used to road race my Mustang I loved when our club would have a track event on Mother's Day because almost no one would go and I'd have the track practically to myself. :thumbup:

Saturday's going to be a dandy in the Greens. Tim Kelley calling for 8 inches minimum for Jay/ Stowe etc...

Upslope FTW

BenedictGomez

Saturday's going to be a dandy in the Greens. Tim Kelley calling for 8 inches minimum for Jay/ Stowe etc...

Upslope FTW

Minimum? That's kindof bold of him. He must be counting on the cold temperatures cranking out a crazy ratio like 25:1 or more. Definitely possible I suppose given this ridiculous cold air incoming. Parts of NJ got 30:1 the other day it was so cold, but that's kindof rare here. God knows they can use it, pics of Jay Peak these days make you wanna cry. Fingers crossed.....

Tin

At this point any snow is great but that sort of snow will do nothing for a base that is needed on natural trails that currently have next to nothing on them.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

I hear 3 to 6 inches tonight for West Catskills. Wonder what our local forecasters think for tomorrow.

MadMadWorld

At this point any snow is great but that sort of snow will do nothing for a base that is needed on natural trails that currently have next to nothing on them.

Any snow is good. Even if it is light it won't melt off quickly in this cold weather and eventually it will get packed down.

moresnow

Wetter snow would be nice to build up the base, but any and all snow is good at this point.

MadMadWorld

Not saying they shouldn't. I'm quite delighted! The implication is that it is less efficient/productive.

I guess what is worse....inferior snow but will not melt off as quickly because of temps or better snow that will melt faster. I think either way it's a good sign!

fahz

http://www.mattnoyes.net/new_englan...to-new-england-saturday-afternoonevening.html

6a00d83451c01c69e201a3fca5324d970b-500wi

Puck it

From what I recollect, these are not the greatest temperatures to make snow at. I think it's in the 20's, maybe...

This is great weather to make snow. Very little air needed. Cuts the cost down. Snow also is drier and can be push out sooner.
The risk is frozen vales and pipes.