• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's got the best core shot?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Some skis are forgotten and others are just in crazy demand, I don't think I've seen a pair of used Mantras go for under $600 with bindings. Over the summer they were all around $350. The Kung Fujis have also doubled in price. If looking new REI, Backcountry.com, etc have some amazing deals. Just grabbed some Line Influence 105s for $299 off REI.
So what's out there in the couple of year old category that skis like a Mantra for half the price?

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Same.

Much like new cars, I don't believe I'll ever buy "new" skis again. Too many great deals with only 4,6, 12 days of skiing on them out there.

I recently got a pair of "previously loved" skis. Good deal and they work great. I figured as im new to park skiing some used ones were a good idea.

Why get pretty new skis that I will crash on and get run over in the lift lines?

Tin

There are a couple pairs from 2010 and 2011 hardly used on right now for under $400 with iffy bindings. There are also brand new 2012-2013s for $399. Since it is after President's Week there will be a lot more to chose from and the price will drop. January and the first few weeks of February are when they spike. Looks like everyone is trying to get rid of Line Prophets models right now too.

Savemeasammy

Let's just say I love $200-$300 Ebay skis.

Mine had 6-7 core shots, I won't be doing anything else to them as you can see. I ripped the edge out last year skiing the t-bar line at Crotched in thin cover, felt the rock just pull it out. Repaired it and got it to last until my trip to Jay this year and ripped it out again on The Powerline. Fixed it again and the whole sidewall of the ski (about 4" worth) just blew out on it doing some scrapped sidecountry stuff at the Crotch. I got about 50 days out of them in a season and a half and will throw my bindings on my new Lines. Skis are tools to help me find those untracked areas and spots I dream about hitting in the summer. No regrets, R.I.P. Bridges (think I'll make the back of a chair out of them.

View attachment 11407

View attachment 11408

You win.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

Let's just say I love $200-$300 Ebay skis.

Mine had 6-7 core shots, I won't be doing anything else to them as you can see. I ripped the edge out last year skiing the t-bar line at Crotched in thin cover, felt the rock just pull it out. Repaired it and got it to last until my trip to Jay this year and ripped it out again on The Powerline. Fixed it again and the whole sidewall of the ski (about 4" worth) just blew out on it doing some scrapped sidecountry stuff at the Crotch. I got about 50 days out of them in a season and a half and will throw my bindings on my new Lines. Skis are tools to help me find those untracked areas and spots I dream about hitting in the summer. No regrets, R.I.P. Bridges (think I'll make the back of a chair out of them.

View attachment 11407

View attachment 11408

If it wasn't obvious now....it's best to stay skiers right on Power Line. God only knows what is underneath the snow over on the left.

Savemeasammy

Back in college in Lake Tahoe we got a nice high-elevation snow at the end of September. One of my roommates had a jeep and he drove us to the top of Mt. Rose (or a nearby peak). The snow was a few feet deep, but those who are familiar with Tahoe know what lurks beneath. Rocks on top of rocks. My skis suffered multiple gouges and at least one or two core shots. The best part? They were brand new! Oh, well... They make skis everyday.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Haven't had a core shot in almost 20 years. Don't know how this is possible because I ski rocks and stumps as much as possible. Guess I'm good at jumping around them.

That's not to say the bottoms of my skis aren't very, very scratched at the moment. You guys with all the core shots gotta use a lighter touch :D521460_491869474214193_686584090_n.jpg

MadMadWorld

Haven't had a core shot in almost 20 years. Don't know how this is possible because I ski rocks and stumps as much as possible. Guess I'm good at jumping around them.

That's not to say the bottoms of my skis aren't very, very scratched at the moment. You guys with all the core shots gotta use a lighter touch :DView attachment 11418

What did your skis ever do to you? I would never ski that

BeefyBoy50

I don't have a pic of this so, if any of you say "pics or it didn't happen" i have no proof, although if you look back 2 years ago to my trip report from Killington this incident should be written up there.
I was at Killington on the Sunday of President's weekend skiing with my friend. It was icy but there were maybe 4-6 inches of fresh in the trees, both on the closed and open trails. We had skied some closed runs, such as Julio, without major incident. Jug was open that weekend and so was Jug Handle and i think they both might've had worse cover. Anyway, I believe Patsy's was open at the time, so we were lapping that and enjoying it until one time I'm skiing and then all of a sudden I come to a dead stop (luckily I wasn't going fast). I realize my ski hit a stump underneath the snow so I back up and ski to the bottom of the run. The whole way down the rest of the run, my right ski isn't floating on the powder like it should. I'm thinking crazy things, like "I wonder if my right leg forgot how to ski powder after I hit that stump." Didn't realize the ski was messed up.
After we got out of Patsy's I stood on my left ski and hitched my right up so my friend could see, and then I see his eyes widen. The front of the ski (it was a Fischer motive 2010 model I think) had the laminate pulled down in a strip like 6 inches or so, so the core was easily visible but the laminate was still hanging on and digging into the snow as I skied forward.

To add insult to injury, the guy who "helped me" at the Killington Rentals shop at the base area charged me $5 for the duct tape he used to wrap the ski so that the laminate would at least stay out of the snow, and he didn't even do it right: the tape strips were perpendicular to my direction of motion so the snow would peel back the tape. N00b. Anyway I gladly payed $5 to continue a day of otherwise enjoyable skiing. Nothing against Killington, I just learned that whether on closed or open runs surprises can be hidden right under the snow.

Fischer gave me a new old stock pair of 165cm Fischer Motive 74's quickly after that. They had very good customer service. I've just gotten around to getting new skis this weekend (Line Chronic 164's) and I'm gonna be more careful with them. Those motives have a lot of scratches from my explorations at Elk this season and the Cirque Traverse at snowbird last season.

MadMadWorld

That's very believable to me. Stumps and logs do way more damage to skis then rocks. But for that to happen you must have been going at least at a decent clip!

KevinF

Well, I don't know that you would call this a core shot, but it's certainly the most spectacular ski damage I've managed:
26499_1427143965414_6297696_n.jpg

This was the bottom of "middle Goat" (i.e., where Midway cuts through) at Stowe a couple years ago.