• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How steep is steep? Quantifying degrees of steepness

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
An interesting article in the Edmonton Journal:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/08/how-steep-is-steep/

45 Degrees: A fall at this angle can really hurt and will involve as much time in the air as in contact with the snow. Half way to vertical, this is where serious skiing begins. Controlled turns are advised. This is where the quick unweighting principles are applied. Keep turning until the skis come all the way across the fall line.

50 Degrees: Standing, you can now touch the slope with an outstretched arm and hand. Turning involves an edge check that kills your speed almost completely, a brief free-fall as you swing your skis in the direction of the fall line and then a shower of white dust as your skis fight to counter this sudden acceleration. Don’t fall.

Click the article for the rest of it!

fbrissette

Very good description. However, i would add that 'how steep is steep' depends a lot on snow conditions. 40-45 degrees in stable soft snow or powder is a lot of fun and not really dangerous for a decent skier. Same angle on hard stuff is life threatening and not fun at all.

Tin

Good stuff. I really like areas less than 15' wide with unavoidable features like on Rumble, Goat, etc than super steep and wide open.

catsup948

Tuckerman Ravine has some places where it's easily 50 degrees. Hardest part was getting up it and getting my skis on. Once my skis were on i felt much safer. Steepest I've skied east or west!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fbrissette

Looks more vertical than it likely is (telephoto from far away). 50+ degrees, may be pushing 60. I doubt you can get that much snow on anything steeper than 60 degrees.

Tin

Aside from trails like Paradise at MRG with its' ledges and Goat and Smugg's Liftline with natural features is there anything really over 40* in the East? A lot of people talk about Ovation, Fiddle, Face Chutes etc. but most are in that 30-35* zone.

MadMadWorld

Aside from trails like Paradise at MRG with its' ledges and Goat and Smugg's Liftline with natural features is there anything really over 40* in the East? A lot of people talk about Ovation, Fiddle, Face Chutes etc. but most are in that 30-35* zone.

Inbounds? Not sustained for more than 200 or so feet

fbrissette

Matters with the run out and length of "sustained"

Anyone can do 60 degree (even head first) if it is a short pitch with a safe runout. Very, very few skiers/boarders can tackle a real 55+ degree slope, with life and death on the line. I'm talking about long sustained slopes requiring several hundred turns. Extreme ski mountaineering on long couloirs with 500m+ of vertical descent. Not talking about the steep but relatively short descents we see in ski movies where they the hit big air and pretty much straightline the maximum pitch.

To use a climbing analogy, I'm talking about free soloing big walls and not about world cup speed climbing.

fbrissette

You're correct. This website gives accurate results that matches my own calculations for Jay and Smugg's.

http://www.gondyline.com/angle-of-ski-trails.php