• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

deadheadskier

Staff member
Right, because there's not enough natural......they need to seed. Preferably Showboat. I figure maybe someday a manager over there will read one of these threads. My comments as a pass holder for two years fell on deaf ears. :lol:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This is posted on Ragged's web site:

The Construction of the Spear Mountain Express is almost complete. Projected opening day for the brand new high-speed detachable quad isDecember 20, 2014.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Sweet! For those of you that refuse to succumb to the tyranny of Facebook ...

10525882_852403891469654_2353449782884397178_n.jpg

canobie#1

This style is my favorite type of high speed chairs. Nothing sticks out And it just looks reall nice.
I am really surprised that they are blasting away on showboat while they still haven't done any blasting on expedition or the chute. But i am happy to see showboat get it before since its superior to most of the other runs on the mountain.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I am really surprised that they are blasting away on showboat while they still haven't done any blasting on expedition or the chute. But i am happy to see showboat get it before since its superior to most of the other runs on the mountain.

I assume you mean Exhibition but what is the "chute"? Are you thinking of the Headwall? Anyway the reason should be obvious. They want people to ride the new lift so they're gonna give them more terrain over there. Hopefully they'll also start making snow on Cardigan Turnpike and open it all up.

Btw I heard at the Flying Monkey that the old triple will be moved over to where the existing double is. I suggested it would be better over on Wildside where a double chair used to be and terminated at the late Raggamuffins Lodge.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed. Having a dedicated park lift makes sense. It would reduce traffic off the top of the 6 pack.

Newpylong

I think putting the lift back on Wild Side would be better too. Gets you some terrain if the 6 is down and get's people off it. It's plenty long enough.

skifastinvt

I would think it would be hard to justify such a large expense to replace he village green lift with the old spear triple, especially with new terrain ready to be developed on Pinnacle. Does anyone know if village green has passed inspection? It doesn't look like its part of the operational plan this year. The summit six is such a quick ride to the summit (and there are numerous routes to spread out traffic), I don't see a need for a lift to the top of the terrain park. Replacing village green double makes sense as a beginner lift only if the existing lift can not pass inspection (which would not surprise me).

i was at the mountain today. A few things to share:

i was very disappointed to see a lack of urgency in snow making today. There were a handful of guns running on lower Yankee, but everything was shut down by 10am. It was 26 degrees and the pond looked to be full. They have hammered showboat (15 ft whales) for the past few days, but why let off the gas now? Getting cardigan or exhibition open for late weekend would have been nice to see. Does it take them a full day to re-route water to fire up exhibition (which I assume is next on the list) or is there a system problem/freeze up?

That said, the ski product was ok considering the warm up from a week ago. Ragged is so close to being a major player, but not making snow today when Sunapee is cranking it out and opening new terrain daily really illustrates the difference. As always, nice vibe around the lodge and mountain. New chairs and restaurant setup are a nice improvement.

When asking about a logo item in the ski shop the sales associate mentioned they sold out last season and didn't re-order on account of the possible name change. Has anyone heard this? Is ragged mountain a little too "ragged" as a name for the new development? How about Pinnacle Resort at Ragged Mountain?

doublediamond

Never liked those ugly grips that stick out though.

Look at any other detacable grip out there -- they hall have one or two wheels sticking out. All detachable grips stick out on the outside of the hanger arm. You need to balance the chair left-right as it passes through the terminals and to do that you need two sets of wheels, one on the inside and one on the outside of the hanger arm.

doublediamond

i was very disappointed to see a lack of urgency in snow making today. There were a handful of guns running on lower Yankee, but everything was shut down by 10am. It was 26 degrees and the pond looked to be full. They have hammered showboat (15 ft whales) for the past few days, but why let off the gas now? Getting cardigan or exhibition open for late weekend would have been nice to see. Does it take them a full day to re-route water to fire up exhibition (which I assume is next on the list) or is there a system problem/freeze up?

What was the humidity? Was there an inversion? Was it forecasted to get warmer? Do they have the nozzles?

The thing is you don't know the boatloads of variables with snowmaking. And besides, 26-wetbulb is very marginal snowmaking. It is far better use of resources to shut 'er down, and make snow when it gets colder.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It was plenty cold at Cannon to make snow today and they had several guns going around the mountain. That said, the conditions were freaking terrible. I had a good time, but it was severe boiler plate over 90% of the open terrain.

I wouldn't think it to be that much warmer at Ragged such that they couldn't blow snow, but maybe. My only thought is that perhaps they didn't want to blow Exhibition during operational hours over the holiday week, so that the guests don't get blasted on the chairs. Perhaps the water in the pond is slated for Exhibition and that's why they weren't blowing Cardigan.

dlague

It was plenty cold at Cannon to make snow today and they had several guns going around the mountain. That said, the conditions were freaking terrible. I had a good time, but it was severe boiler plate over 90% of the open terrain.

I wouldn't think it to be that much warmer at Ragged such that they couldn't blow snow, but maybe. My only thought is that perhaps they didn't want to blow Exhibition during operational hours over the holiday week, so that the guests don't get blasted on the chairs. Perhaps the water in the pond is slated for Exhibition and that's why they weren't blowing Cardigan.

God meeting you today and doing a quarter of a run. As far as Ragged - hoping things improve since we hope to be there Sunday otherwise it will be Cannon again which I hope improves by then too.

Brad J

God meeting you today and doing a quarter of a run. As far as Ragged - hoping things improve since we hope to be there Sunday otherwise it will be Cannon again which I hope improves by then too.

Deadheadskier is a good skier but God , not sure about that!!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Skied Ragged today too. Wasn't even gonna go out at all. Was just gonna vegetate but a friend called and asked if I'd like to go. So I hopped on Liftopia and got a $45 ticket - not the best bargain but it'll do in a pinch.

Glad I went. It wasn't very cold but a bit breezy. Conditions were hard pack with some loose granular. Finally got to ride the Spear Express. Sweet! I didn't time it. Took several runs on Flying Yankee. I heard that Cardigan is the next slope to get some snow. Some techs were there getting ready to start the water flow there late in the day.

More news: the Olde Triple will replace the Village Green Double but they're going to extent it to the top of Newfound Ridge. I'd hate to see that slow lift put over on the new terrain. They'd only have to replace it. (When is the lift going in over there?)

Haven't heard anything about a new name. That could be interesting - Danbury Ridge? - which would be kind of a meh sort of thing.