• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boyne going BIG again with Doppelmayr at Big Sky

drjeff

Last edited:

NYDB

that is pretty sick.

Between the new swift current, ram charger, powder seeker and the gondola / tram they have been dropping some serious $.

I thought they were doing something big at moonlight basin too. like a bubble 8 or 6

thebigo

One thing about Boyne, they like to refurb and repurpose lifts. Wonder where that tram is going to end up?

deadheadskier

Staff member
One thing about Boyne, they like to refurb and repurpose lifts. Wonder where that tram is going to end up?

Send it to the Loaf. People have been begging for a signature summit access lift there ever since the Gondola was pulled. Only way it makes sense to me is to do it on the cheap. It will be closed 50+% of the season anyway, so it doesn't make sense to put in a new lift up there.

crank

More than the current 15 at a time tram. How many more?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, this confirms what I heard up there last year. Looks like the tram is going to be a completely different alignment than it is now. Certainly a very significant investment. Looks like a multiple year project.

Edd

I’m baffled that anyone is installing a new tram anywhere. What‘s the advantage of a new tram vs going with a gondola? Are they trying to limit the number of skiers at the top?

jimmywilson69

I think the answer to that is yes. They are trying to do that now with the Tram not being include with certain lift ticket/pass products.

drjeff

I’m baffled that anyone is installing a new tram anywhere. What‘s the advantage of a new tram vs going with a gondola? Are they trying to limit the number of skiers at the top?

The marketing side of it will be immense as well. Just think of the marketing of say Jackson Hole or Snowbird, or heck even Jay and Cannon. So often you see a picture of the tram shot from a "wow" inducing angle cresting a ridgeline and that makes a BOLD statement (to me atleast)

Mainer

I’m not sure how you are putting more people on that summit. The entrance to liberty is all rocks usually between the snow fences. Otter slide is so steep and sketchy. Maybe they can bulldoze some dirt on those rocks on liberty bowl.

Tonyr

Yes they do want the top area limited according to what one of the locals told me.

drjeff

I think that we all just need to not completely think about the tram, as just a skiing/riding lift, but as the press release implies, it will be a 4 season lift.

Heck, 4 or 5 Summer's ago, I was out at Yellowstone with my family, and we went to Big Sky 1 day where the had a tour, which I believe at that time was $75 or 80 a person, where you took a HSQ out of their base area, then they put you in the back of a trcuk and drove you down to the base of the current tram, and then you took the tram to the top, and you got 15 or 20 minutes up at the top of Lone Peak to take in the views until the next tram cycled back up to the top, then downloaded on the tram, took the truck back up to the top of the HSQ and then downloaded on the HSQ to the base. Getting those reservations was a challenge as they were popular.

Many resorts are really trying to increase their non skiing/riding season options (and revenues) and new lifts, and dining facilities, like this will give Big Sky, is certainly an example of this, and one that will likely provide them with year round revenue generating opportunities for decades to come

machski

They're do not have the space for a detachable top terminal up there, so that is one reason for the Tram. Wind resistance is much better on a double track rope tram than a monocable gondola. Finally, this tram will have a single support tower vs multiple towers required for a Gondola. It all looks very cool and the Tram will be so much easier to lap now too off of multiple runs